Picked Up Passport at Jomtien Immigration - In and out in 30 seconds - Why do they make you come back?

I got my retirement extension of stay yesterday and the process was extremely smooth.  Less than 30 minutes.  Today, I entered, handed the person at counter 8 my card and she immediately handed me my passport.  I was in and out immediately.  Does anyone know why Chonburi Immigration approves you but requires you return the following day to pick up the passport.  I have read that other offices stamp it the same day. 

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

To reduce the number of people waiting for the final decision and sign off of your extension.

Perhaps better to go back the next day instead of waiting 2 or 3 hours for it to be done.

ubonjoe,

Are you indicating that even though the first IO approves the extension that it is reviewed by a second person?  I thought perhaps they did some sort of background check, or computer check of the passport.  Though it is a nuisance for me, I live about 30 minutes away, I am sure for many their immigration office is substantially further away. 

2 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Are you indicating that even though the first IO approves the extension that it is reviewed by a second person? 

it has to be approved by higher ranking officer than the one that accepts your application. There may be another officer that checks it as well before it get the final sign off.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thomas J said:

Are you indicating that even though the first IO approves the extension that it is reviewed by a second person?

As already written: of course.

In our small office it is a quite obvious open procedure.

IO grabs passport and documents, walks over to the cubicle/desk where the higher ranking sits.

After a few minutes IO or some helper/student will hand me passport with final approval.

Thankfully it works like this here. Otherwise it would mean another 200km round-trip.

And think about extension based on marriage.
Come back after 30 days. Approval done at region headquarter.

I assume in Jomtien they have some routine procedure.

Collecting a pile of applications.

Boss going through late in a single session.

Edited by KhunBENQ

24 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I assume in Jomtien they have some routine procedure.

KhunBENQ  

I guess second approval needed is ok, seems like it could be done in one trip.  If they are concerned that some a lower level IO is colluding with agency or getting tips for approval, having second person review a sample of applications would seem to make sense.  Having each application reviewed by two people seems that immigration is having two people do the work of one.  Not very cost effective. 

11 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

It is a busy office.  100's of agent processes everyday also.

Not busy at all, super quick. Always took me less than 10 mins from getting a queue number till getting my passport handed back to me with a 30 day extension stamp for a METV.

CW in BKK is the super busy office which is an absolute pain in the ass where it takes you a whole day waiting around just to get to the 1st stage of the process of seeing the IO and handing in your forms and passport.

Edited by bbi1
  • Like 1