British Airways suspends all flights to China over coronavirus

webfact

British Airways suspends all flights to China over coronavirus

2020-01-17T000427Z_1_LYNXMPEG0G004_RTROPTP_3_IAG-MOVES.JPG

FILE PHOTO: British Airways aircraft are seen at Heathrow Airport in west London, Britain, February 23, 2018. REUTERS/Hannah McKay/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - British Airways (ICAG.L) has suspended all direct flights to and from mainland China after Britain warned against all but essential travel to the country due to the coronavirus outbreak.

BA.com, the airline’s website, shows no direct flights to China are available in January and February.

“We apologise to customers for the inconvenience, but the safety of our customers and crew is always our priority,” BA said in an emailed statement on Wednesday. “Customers due to travel to or from China in the coming days can find more information on BA.com.”

Britain on Tuesday advised against “all but essential” travel to mainland China due to the coronavirus outbreak.

(Reporting by Sarah Young; editing by Kate Holton)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-01-29
  • Like 1

It's probably as much a matter of economics as any kind of safety thing.  There's not much use in flying virtually empty planes.

I burned a ticket to China this week when the trade show I planned to attend was cancelled.  Then the city where I have an apartment shut down the long distance buses, casting doubt on whether I could even get home from the Beijing airport 2 hours away.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, impulse said:

It's probably as much a matter of economics as any kind of safety thing.  There's not much use in flying virtually empty planes.

I burned a ticket to China this week when the trade show I planned to attend was cancelled.  Then the city where I have an apartment shut down the long distance buses, casting doubt on whether I could even get home from the Beijing airport 2 hours away.  

Very true

14 hours ago, schlog said:

Swiss, Austrian and Lufthansa also suspended all flights like BA.

56 minutes ago, PumpkinEater said:

The smart airline management concerned for their employees and Country rather than the dollar... 

3 minutes ago, leeneeds said:

Eat an apple a day is dead,

an air line a day keeps the Chinese away 

And for the other 3 posts I reacted to: nothing to do with that.

But with a negative travel advisory and not enough people on the flights it would be commercially stupid to keep these flights going.