Half Million Baht Loss For French Family................

libya 115

SOURCE: Pattaya City News: April 4th 2007

Hotel Room theft costs French Family over 500,000 Baht.

Police Major Pongsawat from Pattaya Police Station was called to the Carlton Pattaya Hotel on Tuesday Night after a Hotel Guest reported a suspected theft from his room.

The victim is Mr. Daniel Pappas aged 51 from France who explained to Police that he had returned back to his room after a night out and found that items had been stolen from inside the room. 4,500 Euro’s, 5 Flight Tickets, and 5 Passports had been stolen from a suitcase.

There were no signs of forced entry and Police suspect it may be an “inside job” and are now questioning cleaners and other staff at the Hotel.

Mr. Pappas is now being assisted by the French Embassy in Bangkok so Mr. Pappas and his family can return home.

We would like to take this opportunity to urge everyone who resides in Hotels to always keep valuable items including money in either room safes or safe boxes which can normally be found at the Hotel reception.

SOURCE: Pattaya City News: April 4th 2007

Hotel Room theft costs French Family over 500,000 Baht.

Police Major Pongsawat from Pattaya Police Station was called to the Carlton Pattaya Hotel on Tuesday Night after a Hotel Guest reported a suspected theft from his room.

The victim is Mr. Daniel Pappas aged 51 from France who explained to Police that he had returned back to his room after a night out and found that items had been stolen from inside the room. 4,500 Euro’s, 5 Flight Tickets, and 5 Passports had been stolen from a suitcase.

There were no signs of forced entry and Police suspect it may be an “inside job” and are now questioning cleaners and other staff at the Hotel.

Mr. Pappas is now being assisted by the French Embassy in Bangkok so Mr. Pappas and his family can return home.

We would like to take this opportunity to urge everyone who resides in Hotels to always keep valuable items including money in either room safes or safe boxes which can normally be found at the Hotel reception.

:o:D:D from a suitcase ?

No room safety-box or Hotel safe?

Strange!

LaoPo

granted , it could be an insurance scam , and i dont know what type of hotel the carlton pattaya is , but those small room safes that most hotels have now are about as safe as a paper bag.

lots of hotel employees know the 'emergency code" for opening them , supposedly for when a guest forgets his own code , or for when a guest checks out of the hotel and leaves the safe locked and therefore unusable for the next guest.

granted , it could be an insurance scam , and i dont know what type of hotel the carlton pattaya is , but those small room safes that most hotels have now are about as safe as a paper bag.

lots of hotel employees know the 'emergency code" for opening them , supposedly for when a guest forgets his own code , or for when a guest checks out of the hotel and leaves the safe locked and therefore unusable for the next guest.

Which is why I always travel with a pack of exploding dye strapped to my money. Usually when the pack goes off and throws powder on em they think its Song Kran. Easy to tell that the guy with the Blue powder is probably not trying to be a trend setter. :o

Actually ones I had in hotel rooms - need a special key with an electronic reset keypad.

Lots of hotel employees know the code?

Not my experience.

When I was fresh in Thailand and thought it is a good thing to do, I was using the safe in my room.

Then, it's battery (the safe's battery) ran out and I could not open it.

Only the managers on duty could help with that. And they did.

It took him 1 hour, laying on the floor like fixing a car in a car shop to change the battery and open the safe. Not trivial at all.

Edited by think_too_mut

Carlton has the security boxes at the counter, so probably it was too much trouble to carry everything all the way there.

I stayed at Carlton abt a month ago, and a friend of mine got change back for a 100 TB bill when he payed for breakfast with a 1000 TB bill. A couple of hours later he realised what he had done, and returned to the restaurant (much to our amusement) to claime the difference. But - no problems what so ever. They did tease him a bit, but handed over the change straight away.

I feel bad for the family but why cash? Last time I lost Amex checks I made one call and 15min later I had the address to go and pick up my replacement checks.

Love AMEX Traveller's Checks! Safe, free if you're an AMEX card holder, AND you get the best exchange rate....no brainer!

Only the managers on duty could help with that. And they did.

It took him 1 hour, laying on the floor like fixing a car in a car shop to change the battery and open the safe. Not trivial at all.

the porter did mine , punched in a code and the door opened. 5 seconds.

hotel in hua hin , 3 years ago , forget the name of the place.

I feel bad for the family but why cash? Last time I lost Amex checks I made one call and 15min later I had the address to go and pick up my replacement checks.

are you Karl Malden or something? I never had a problem using hotel safety boxes

What does what I said have to do with safes? :o