Pilots, flight attendants demand flights to China stop as virus fear mount worldwide

webfact

Looks like American Airlines, United and Delta Airlines have relented, dropping all U.S.-China flights.

https://apnews.com/7a165f73821fdd44e321a38be005886c?

NEW YORK (AP) — Delta, American and United said Friday they will suspend all flights between the U.S. and mainland China, following the lead of several major international carriers that have stopped flying to China as the coronavirus outbreak continues to spread.

American and United said they will keep flying to Hong Kong.

American announced that it would stop flying to mainland China starting Friday and running through March 27.

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy.

18 hours ago, Conno said:

I actually don't know what to believe with this one but my gut instincts are telling me something doesn't feel quite right about this situation. These days we have so much information it is very difficult to tell fact from fiction, genuine news from fake. Just watched this video from a day or two ago which is rather disturbing and consists of a compilation of clips allegedly leaked out of ground zero in and around Wuhan. If these are accurate videos of what is truly going on over there this isn't your average flu type virus. I agree travel out of China should be stopped immediately until we all have a better understanding of what it is we are dealing with. Not fear mongering, just not sure at this point if we can believe the statistics coming from official sources within China.

Advise stopping the video at the 13:00 timestamp........only posted it for the points highlighted in the first 13 minutes, after that it turns into a bit of a God rant ????

Isn't it funny how all the disinformation campaigns over the past years, which were so funny to spread for those who were against western values and ability to gain real information, are no longer so much fun, when there is a 'frightening threat to our own lives'?

Wasn't it a wonderful idea to spread distrust to the medias, who do a lot of work to resource what they say is true?

Now all of the sudden, we no longer have nobody to trust anymore! Trust to Mainstream Media has been destroyed. 

It's time to pay the price of those disinformation campaigns, which at the time sounded like a fun idea to do. Perhaps not yet, during this WuFlu, but be certain, that time will come.

Enjoy reading your fear mongering websites. Panic and perhaps die.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I had a heads up on this a few days back from a friend of a friend on the FCO pullout which I mentioned in a thread  now confirmed , and coupled with  this fresh news I can only conclude things are bad. If it was just flu ++ surely we would be going to a lower scale on actions by now ?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/feb/01/coronavirus-latest-updates-us-ban-china-death-toll-hits-259-live-news

New restrictions on the second worst-hit city in China. In Huanggang, only one family member per household will be allowed to go out every two days to get supplies, necessities. 

Foreign Office pulls staff out of China

The Foreign Office is withdrawing staff from China hours after flying dozens of UK nationals home from coronavirus-hit Wuhan, PA Media reports

Edited by URMySunshine

7 minutes ago, TheDark said:

Now all of the sudden, we no longer have nobody to trust anymore! Trust to Mainstream Media has been destroyed. 

As long as large scale media broadcasting has existed, it has been used as a propaganda tool. It's never been wise to blindly trust any media. Verify everything from multiple sources and use your own brain instead of giving the control to some puppet master. Trust is for the lazy.

• Like 1

Just now, DrTuner said:

As long as large scale media broadcasting has existed, it has been used as a propaganda tool. It's never been wise to blindly trust any media. Verify everything from multiple sources and use your own brain instead of giving the control to some puppet master. Trust is for the lazy.

I see you have kept the faith Dr Tuner whilst I am flip flopping but I did a few days ago use the buying window for gels , masks and alcohol to be called mad by the missus who now sees the wisdom in my actions. 

8 minutes ago, URMySunshine said:

I see you have kept the faith Dr Tuner whilst I am flip flopping but I did a few days ago use the buying window for gels , masks and alcohol to be called mad by the missus who now sees the wisdom in my actions. 

No harm in buying them, even if not used now, they are also usable in everyday life. I actually had lots of the stuff already because I do a lot of DIY.

Also good for brownie points: Sister-in-law just sheepishly asked if she can have one N95 mask. Works at an office where the clientele has lots of Chinese. 

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

No harm in buying them, even if not used now, they are also usable in everyday life. I actually had lots of the stuff already because I do a lot of DIY.

Also good for brownie points: Sister-in-law just sheepishly asked if she can have one N95 mask. Works at an office where the clientele has lots of Chinese. 

My current top tip is 70% alcohol - the blue stuff in bottles - just got 450 ml for 55 baht from a chemist in Jomtien - seems to be loads of the stuff. Will last forever useful for many things and very good for sanitising the hands. Seems to be out for antiseptic hand gel in most places now. You could decant it into a small spray bottle to carry around with you for hand cleansing on the go. 

https://www.healthline.com/health/rubbing-alcohol-uses

3 minutes ago, URMySunshine said:

My current top tip is 70% alcohol - the blue stuff in bottles - just got 450 ml for 55 baht from a chemist in Jomtien - seems to be loads of the stuff. Will last forever useful for many things and very good for sanitising the hands. Seems to be out for antiseptic hand gel in most places now. You could decant it into a small spray bottle to carry around with you for hand cleansing on the go. 

https://www.healthline.com/health/rubbing-alcohol-uses

Yup, bought a four bottle set from lazada cheaply. Wife happens to have a large jar of aloe so I'll mix some of that in, should last years.

• Like 1

When the flight to the UK with British and Europeans citizens arrived in RAF Brize Norton yesterday I was surprised that none of the bus drivers picking up the passengers were wearing masks? 

I think their company were very complacent and negligible in allowing them to drive to Liverpool with those passenger seat on board and no protection.

I don’t blame air crew for refusing to fly to China.

1 hour ago, URMySunshine said:

My current top tip is 70% alcohol - the blue stuff in bottles - just got 450 ml for 55 baht from a chemist in Jomtien - seems to be loads of the stuff.

I'd go to a paint shop and buy methanol or ethanol, sold as a paint thinner.  100% strength and no blue dye to stain (and possibly ruin)  whatever you're putting it on.  Also cheaper by volume.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, URMySunshine said:

Either China is in the grip of an epic paranoid response or we are on the brink of an unprecedented (in modern times) catastrophe. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/01/across-china-cities-turn-into-ghost-towns-as-coronavirus-infects-more-than-10000

... 1919 is still juuuust within 'living history'  but a prime example of what happens when the isolating Distances between peoples of the earth, are able to be drastically shortened (by air travel etc) 

14 hours ago, impulse said:

I'd go to a paint shop and buy methanol or ethanol, sold as a paint thinner.  100% strength and no blue dye to stain (and possibly ruin)  whatever you're putting it on.  Also cheaper by volume.

Just remember to add some moisturizer, that stuff dries the skin very fast. Wouldn't want to have any small dry cracks in the skin.

Edited by DrTuner