Round-trip Ticket / Tourist Visa?

Hello-

Yes, another question about coming to Thailand from US soil... I've been searching for jobs so that I can come over to BKK with a non-immigrant visa in hand around the middle of August. Since I expect plane ticket prices to start increasing very soon, and tickets themselves selling out, I'm considering just getting a tourist visa and extending it once I get a job in Bangkok. The person from the Thai Consulate in New York assured me that I wouldn't need to show my plane ticket to get either visa. My concern is that my tourist visa, should I go that route, is only good for 60-90 days, and I'd like to buy a roundtrip plane ticket for longer than that. Will border guards or immigration officers give me a hard time if I do this, or should I just get a return ticket for two months after my departure date? (As soon as I get a decent teaching position, I would of course push my departing my plane ticket back a few months...)

It's all still somewhat confusing for me at this point, and any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Todd

An open return should be fine, then you can decide later exactly when you want to fly.

If you do get a job you will need to go to Malayisa and apply for a Non-Immigrant visa, so that your employer can then get a work Permit Permit for you.

Good luck

How much of a pain is it to go to Malaysia? I mean, are we talking about a day trip or a week-long stay of waiting in line at an embassy?

How about this: what if I don't get a tourist visa at all--I believe I'm allowed in for 30 days on my passport alone--then get the job/non-immigrant B visa once I arrive?

I've been sending out resumes to TEFL schools found on ajarn.com and have only gotten nibbles... I'm qualified, and a job would quell most of my concerns!

Thanks for getting back to me! Todd

How much of a pain is it to go to Malaysia? I mean, are we talking about a day trip or a week-long stay of waiting in line at an embassy?

How about this: what if I don't get a tourist visa at all--I believe I'm allowed in for 30 days on my passport alone--then get the job/non-immigrant B visa once I arrive?

I've been sending out resumes to TEFL schools found on ajarn.com and have only gotten nibbles... I'm qualified, and a job would quell most of my concerns!

Thanks for getting back to me! Todd

Would you get a formal job offer with a month ? The tourist visa is for 60 days and is extendable by another 30 days in country. That might be good insurance for you.

I would obviously prefer the 60/90 day tourist visa, but assume it would be really difficult to get a working visa. As you've previously mentioned, I would be unable to obtain a non-immigrant visa if I was staying in the country on a tourist visa. So my only option then would be to do a border run? What does that entail exactly?

Sorry to be bombarding you all with questions, it's just starting to get near crunch time-- I don't want to pay $2000 for a plane ticket come august if they're around $800 right now!

Todd

I would obviously prefer the 60/90 day tourist visa, but assume it would be really difficult to get a working visa. As you've previously mentioned, I would be unable to obtain a non-immigrant visa if I was staying in the country on a tourist visa. So my only option then would be to do a border run? What does that entail exactly?

Sorry to be bombarding you all with questions, it's just starting to get near crunch time-- I don't want to pay $2000 for a plane ticket come august if they're around $800 right now!

Todd

If you get a job, the rest of the formalities are a breeze if you are aided by a bona fide employer.

Once you have the job offer and paperwork you travel to Penang by bus/train/air. Apply for non immigrant B visa in morning and pick up the next afternoon on any non holiday, Monday-Friday. Cost transport, usually two-three nights hotel, visa fee. It really is a nice trip the first few times.