Anutin firestorm: Wearing face masks is "being a responsible member of society", says leading doctor

rooster59

2 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

When you present something to somebody it is considered a present.

Nah, I think you are playing with the similarity of the words. I would say i is a gift, while a present is something you surprise somebody with on a special day.

However, if we all listen to and read @SCOTT FITZGERSLD posts, then it´s definitely a special time. We all stand in front of his scaremongering tactic. Don´t tell anybody, but I am pretty sure he gets payed rom somewhere to post all the BS. So, maybe you are right. It´s special times and it is really a present. ????????

2 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

It's recommended by some to sneeze or cough into the crook of the elbow to avoid possible contamination of the hands.

For as long as I can remember I've always carried a linen handkerchief. Of late, I always carry sanitising gel. For some unknown reason, when I cough, I always put the back of my hand to my mouth.

Edited by DannyCarlton

2 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

When you present something to somebody it is considered a present.

When someone stands handing out stuff it is usually a promotion of sorts, and if I am not going to use it and it is going in the trash - I refuse.  If someone hands me a single mask in an unsanitary way, I will likewise refuse since I am not going to use it and I am going to toss it in the trash ... as such the environmentally thing is to refuse.  Unfortunately with many the language difference may make it seem ungrateful such as life.   Medical supplies should be handled in a sanitary way - i.e. a sterile box etc. or protective foil if they are individual ones.  It does not mean I will not wear a mask, only that I am not going to wear that mask as it is a vector for infection.

A leading Thai doctor responsible for stopping the spread of disease commented in the wake of health minister Anutin Charnvirakul's rant against a group of foreigners who did not accept his offer of face masks.

I couldn't recall where Anutin has ranted against a GROUP.

Wasn't it just ONE (...) farang who declined to accept the mask from him, according to his FB post.

Health minister Anutin has been blasted online after ranting to reporters when his offer of free masks was rejected by someone he called a "farang".

This report sentence is just the same as when I called someone an "Big Ugly Fat Man!" , and later the report wrote I called someone 'Man!'

Aint nothing wrong with just plain 'Farang', right..?

(I don't like, but unwillingly accepted as it is not an negative/offensive word here in Thailand.)

[The Report in Thai Language]

In the Thai version of that post nothing is mentioned about what Anutin did call out, no quotes of his rant nor any apology.

A line did say ' some foreigners ' , which probably make you think of an 'group'

Further in the Thai article more contents are available to read, which to my opinion, is not bad.

Try copy and paste the article in translate to get a idea of the contents.

What I noticed from this racist a**clown's remarks was that the majority of people around him not wearing a mask were Asian, yet he chose to vent his rage on a Caucasian.  I'm unaware of a single Caucasian being infected with the coronavirus in Thailand, and if there is someone, then they probably got it from an Asian.  Not that masks would've helped....

That's the problem with racism....it always fails the commonsense test.

On 2/8/2020 at 8:32 PM, BobbyL said:

I assume they contacted this 'expert' to release something ASAP to help their health minister try and save that all precious 'face'. 

Dr Suwanchai Wattanayingcharoenchai, the chief of the infectious diseases centre, may well be, probably is, a learned, experienced and competent man in his field. Unfortunately, he also inevitably owes his position to the patronage of his boss; and so has no real choice but to come to the support of his boss, who has got into a mess through a temper tantrum which is all to do with loss of face, and nothing to do with the realities of attempting to control the spread of the virus. This latter is obviously an area in which the boss, (who was appointed for reasons which had the cubed root of b#gg#r all to do with competence, knowledge or ability) would not matter if he kept quiet, and allowed his staff to get on with things, but having struck a pose (and lost face) he has to regain face, so his expert staff are diverted to supporting and justifying his imbecilic blatherings.

The advice of Dr Suwanchai Wattanayingcharoenchai, good as it may be, is of little consequence, as we are not told the true figures ( including areas in which the virus is most present) and due to the incompetence of the ministry, despite claims to be in control of matters, and that there is no shortage of masks, masks are totally unavailable. Given the potential production figures quoted there are unlikely to be any available any time soon.

Face, patronage and corruption. The triple curse on this unfortunate country and it's people.

Edited by JAG
  • Like 1

On 2/8/2020 at 3:52 PM, Thian said:

Today here in nonthaburi maybe 10% of the Thai was wearing a mouthmask....

But its the f... farang that the minister want to kick out if the country.

Ts...

What is he going to do with the thai people which not want to wear a mask?

Put them all in jail?

And by the way:

Up to now there are only thai+chinese infected with the virus in thailand, no Farang.

But only the farang is blamed.

I would not wounder if after some time the farang will be blamed to bring the virus to thailand and not the chinese.

Edited by Crisu
  • Thanks 1

On 2/8/2020 at 8:39 PM, timendres said:

I do not want to sound like I am defending Anutin. I am not.

However, many people on TVF have posted comments to the effect that "if I am not sick, I do not need to wear a mask". The problem is that this virus is infectious for some number of days before a person displays any symptoms. With that in mind, it does make sense to wear a mask based on the fact that you may actually be infected, and infectious, and not know it. It is not about protecting yourself from the virus, but limiting the possible spread of it.

If you are asymptomatic, then you would not be coughing thus wearing a mask will do nothing. However, in this stage your hands can transfer the virus. WHO has released correct hygiene procedures regarding this!!!

• Like 1

Thai media has said he has refused to apologize and comments on Facebook by the minister showed that he was clearly not in any mood to say sorry.

Welcome to Taka Tuka Land. The Land of Whys and Cries. 

I do see some similarities between this minister and another one who thought that the rape of a Farang woman in a bikini is okay because such a bikini-wearing woman would "invite Thai men" to have sex with her.

Of course, only the sexier ones. 

He never apologized for his speech. Let's say, not really. 

Edited by Isaanbiker
  • Like 1

Bad news from China.

The deadly coronavirus is airborne, a Shanghai official has confirmed.  

On Saturday it was announced the virus can now spread via aerosol transmission - meaning it can drift through the air for an extended period of time and cause infection if breathed in. 

"Aerosol transmission refers to the mixing of the virus with droplets in the air to form aerosols which causes infection after inhalation," Shanghai Civil Affairs Bureau deputy head Zeng Qun is quoted as saying by China Daily.

"As such we have called on the public to raise their awareness of the prevention and control of the disease."

The Chinese government is urging residents to cancel all social activities and avoid large gatherings of people, reports China Daily. 

The discovery of the disease being airborne means coronavirus now has three modes of transmission. 

Direct transmission occurs when a person breathes the air close to an infected person who has coughed or sneezed. 

Contact transmission is when a person touches a contaminated surface then infects themselves by touching their mouth, eyes or nose. 

And now the Aerosol transmission

https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202002/08/WS5e3e7d97a310128217275fc3.html

Whether you like it or not it would be advisable to start wearing masks everywhere because you never know when it will become airborne here in Thailand

Edited by Russell17au

1 hour ago, Russell17au said:

Bad news from China.

The deadly coronavirus is airborne, a Shanghai official has confirmed.  

On Saturday it was announced the virus can now spread via aerosol transmission - meaning it can drift through the air for an extended period of time and cause infection if breathed in. 

"Aerosol transmission refers to the mixing of the virus with droplets in the air to form aerosols which causes infection after inhalation," Shanghai Civil Affairs Bureau deputy head Zeng Qun is quoted as saying by China Daily.

"As such we have called on the public to raise their awareness of the prevention and control of the disease."

The Chinese government is urging residents to cancel all social activities and avoid large gatherings of people, reports China Daily. 

The discovery of the disease being airborne means coronavirus now has three modes of transmission. 

Direct transmission occurs when a person breathes the air close to an infected person who has coughed or sneezed. 

Contact transmission is when a person touches a contaminated surface then infects themselves by touching their mouth, eyes or nose. 

Whether you like it or not it would be advisable to start wearing masks everywhere because you never know when it will become airborne here in Thailand

Nothing new about aersol transmission of respiratory virus really.

People seem to not be concerned about surface borne transmission , 

4 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

i guess you mean :'gets paid from somewhere"

and yes, you are right. keep well.

No, I am not right. How can you say that? You already said the virus is Novel, NEW! Nobody know anything. How can I be right?

And, yes! You guessed right. Good job. ???? 

19 hours ago, Russell17au said:

There are no masks available to the public, of any sort, anywhere.

There is insufficient manufacturing capability for masks to enable adequate supplies to become available whilst demand continues.

The claimed stockpiles seem to have disappeared - possibly either retained to supply the favoured ones, or even sent to another nearby influential country?

We should not worry as there is no shortage of masks, and everything is under control...