Can Thai-falang Get A Govrnment Job?

jt936

I have been told that children whose parents are not from Thailand can not get a government job, even if their mother is Thai. Does anyone know if this is true??

thanks.

Good question. I have a feeling it might well be true.

I know for a fact they cannot join the army schooling system to study for officer!

Friend of mine (retired airline pilot) has a son with his Thai wife who wanted to join the navy (with as goal to become a navy pilot, or at least in the aviation support section) and was flatly refused on the grounds of having a non Thai father.

I know for a fact they cannot join the army schooling system to study for officer!

Friend of mine (retired airline pilot) has a son with his Thai wife who wanted to join the navy (with as goal to become a navy pilot, or at least in the aviation support section) and was flatly refused on the grounds of having a non Thai father.

not true; have a couple of friends with non Thai parents who did it already.

Maybe is a case by case thing; depends also:

- born in Thailand?

- Thai citizen?

- Thai passport?

- Thai education vs, int school education?

This topic has been raised before and my comment was as previous post. However that was contradicted by many others previously to give an erroneous impression. Nonetheless the position is that a child with a farang parent will not be selected.

:o

ot true; have a couple of friends with non Thai parents who did it already.

Maybe is a case by case thing; depends also:

- born in Thailand?

- Thai citizen?

- Thai passport?

- Thai education vs, int school education?

Strange, because the kid has got everything you mentioned above, including the Thai education (not intl school)

On top of it, involving some friendly higher up brass only got them very apologetic responses that it simply couldn't be done.

Maybe because aviation was involved?

It is a few years ago but not that long...

Don't know if I would want a son/daughter flying in Thai Navy/Airforce anyway. I think I would push very hard for them to join the Australian Forces first. What has happened to Thai's aircraft carrier.... and the Harrier jets, they must be all grounded by now!

Depends on what kind of government jobs.

If it involves a national security such as jobs in forces, no, they are not allowed. Not only Thai-falang children but also nonThai ancestors such as Chinese, Indians, etc.

To be eligible for the jobs in the forces, the person will have to have his/her parents, grand parents, and great grand parents of Thai nationality. Another words, they will be investigated about their roots for 3 generations. That is why you will never see any soldiers or officers of any other ethic background but Thais.

Edited by Thai-Aust

It's a fact that there are luk krungs in parliament (not many... I can think of two myself... both ex actors... maybe you can count n'Bamm... perhaps 1/8 falang maybe?). I'd assume that would somewhat negate the "national security" argument. There's no accounting for plain racism and discrimination though... which is a fact of life for luk krungs in some areas though.

To be eligible for the jobs in the forces, the person will have to have his/her parents, grand parents, and great grand parents of Thai nationality. Another words, they will be investigated about their roots for 3 generations. That is why you will never see any soldiers or officers of any other ethic background but Thais.

Really?

I wonder though how, for example, Gen. Chamlong then has managed to hide his Chinese ancestry, which is though public knowledge:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chamlong_Srimuang

What about General Shinawatra? There are actually several dozen Thai Chinese generals spread across all branches of the armed forces, and as a side note, the police as well.

How about Thaksin Shinawatra himself?

Thai-Aust was (mistakenly) referring to the armed forces. If we were talking about prime ministers... then the non-Thai Chinese (in recent history anyway) ones would be the exceptions.

Thai-Aust was (mistakenly) referring to the armed forces. If we were talking about prime ministers... then the non-Thai Chinese (in recent history anyway) ones would be the exceptions.

Did not Thaksin graduate from some military academy?

His grandfather was Chinese who married Thai.

Did not Thaksin graduate from some military academy?

His grandfather was Chinese who married Thai.

I think that was just a military high school ROTC type thing, not really the armed forces. Supposedly an "elite" honor... but that just means you have to have "some" connections and be ready to make a donation to the institution (like most regular gov't high schools).

Moot anyway since Thai Chinese, Thai Sikhs, and Thai luk krungs, etc... CAN join the military. A fairly well known fact is that inter-Thais, and many luk krungs within that group end up as translators and pencil pushers in "military intelligence" for their years of duty.

:D

Edited by Heng

Really?

I wonder though how, for example, Gen. Chamlong then has managed to hide his Chinese ancestry, which is though public knowledge:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chamlong_Srimuang

Duuuhhhh - $$$$ is a very good tool for hiding things

Really?

Chamlong's ancesters had been rooted in Thailand for more than three generations.

I should have made if clear that when I mentioned "Forces" I only meant Army, Air Force, and Navy. Police Acadamy is the only institution that allowed non-Thai students to join in. You will see many Thai-Chinese cops everywhere.

Edited by Thai-Aust

Really?

Chamlong's ancesters had been rooted in Thailand for more than three generations.

I should have made if clear that when I mentioned "Forces" I only meant Army, Air Force, and Navy. Police Acadamy is the only institution that allowed non-Thai students to join in. You will see many Thai-Chinese cops everywhere.

So, is this information from Wikipedia incorrect, or the way to calculate generation different ?

Chamlong's father was a Chinese migrant from Shantou who died when Chamlong was still a baby. His mother, Sae Tia, was of Chinese descent, but was born in Thailand. Chamlong had an older brother who was sent to live in China with his grandmother, but who died there as a boy.

Really?

As already pointed out, Chamlong's ancestry is not 3 generation Thai. He also was not a police general, but an army general.

In Chamlong's case:

"His mother, Sae Tia, was of Chinese descent, but was born in Thailand. " It clearly said his mother was born in Thailand although she was of Chinese descent.

Meechai is the senator, he is not a forces member.

mdeland, you said your Indian/Thai friend was in the army 30 years ago, was he enlisted to serve the nation or he was a professional officer? Every Thai national men has to enlist for the service regardless of thier ancestries. And if he was a professional army officer, one of his parents must have been Thai or have lived in Thailand for more than two generations.

In Chamlong's case:

"His mother, Sae Tia, was of Chinese descent, but was born in Thailand. " It clearly said his mother was born in Thailand although she was of Chinese descent.

mdeland, you said your Indian/Thai friend was in the army 30 years ago, was he enlisted to serve the nation or he was a professional officer? Every Thai national men has to enlist for the service regardless of thier ancestries. And if he was a professional army officer, one of his parents must have been Thai or have lived in Thailand for more than two generations.

You might want to post the full quote, which says that his father was not a Thai citicen:

Chamlong's father was a Chinese migrant from Shantou who died when Chamlong was still a baby. His mother, Sae Tia, was of Chinese descent, but was born in Thailand. Chamlong had an older brother who was sent to live in China with his grandmother, but who died there as a boy.

Can a Thai/Farang get a government job? As the father of a Thai/farang boy, I certainly hope that he will not have to get a government job in general and specifically a military position. I flew my plane this weekend to Wing 5 in Prachuab Khirikhan and spent the weekend around the hangers with many air force officers and it is not an easy life that I would wish for my son. They are very nice, most of these military guys, but I would hope my son could have better opportunities and as a Thai/farang I am sure he will.

Can a Thai/Farang get a government job? As the father of a Thai/farang boy, I certainly hope that he will not have to get a government job in general and specifically a military position. I flew my plane this weekend to Wing 5 in Prachuab Khirikhan and spent the weekend around the hangers with many air force officers and it is not an easy life that I would wish for my son. They are very nice, most of these military guys, but I would hope my son could have better opportunities and as a Thai/farang I am sure he will.

Well I rode my bicycle to Wing 1 last week, with my son sitting on the handle bars; he loves to fly bless him. I asked if my son could become a fighter pilot, they said yes if his father bought a plane and he was related to Meechai. Go figer

Seriously today there is VERY little chance of a Farang/Thai being selected for pilot training. In 20 years who knows.

In Chamlong's case:

You seem to know much about this topic, and therefore seem like the ideal person for me to pose the following question: I remember years ago in the Bangkok Post or Nation, or maybe both, there was an alleged photographic reproduction of the mainland-China birth certificate of a past prime minister who is from Supanburi Province. Was that document ever authenticated? I'm curious.

My Indian/Thai friend in BKK was in the Thai army 30 years ago, what makes you think they can't be. Meechai, the senator, is half Swiss.

He is half Scottish I believe, with his mother being the Scot. Educated in Australia - Geelong Grammar, Melbourne University.

I actually looked into this a while back, and I read that if born to a foreign father, you were not eligible to run for Thai parliament. I'll have to look into this again though.

For the civil service, I don't think there is a rule baring luuk krungs working for government. More the fact that the 7000 baht starting salaries for Master degree holders turns people off.

You have to define what kind of government job your asking about. I am 100% not Thai and I work for the Thai government all benefits and pay scale included, in some cases I am paid better than the Thai employees because of visa requirements and mandatory income for foreigners.

I actually looked into this a while back, and I read that if born to a foreign father, you were not eligible to run for Thai parliament. I'll have to look into this again though.

That can't be true, unless there is a special rule for Chinese. Chamlong was MP, i believe, and with Banharn there never was a question about his father being foreign, but the question was that he himself might very well have been born in China.

That can't be true, unless there is a special rule for Chinese. Chamlong was MP, i believe, and with Banharn there never was a question about his father being foreign, but the question was that he himself might very well have been born in China.

You are most likely correct, and I if I did read it anywhere, it would probably would have been on the internet - so it could have possibly been a load of %$@.

All I remember though is that it appeared that my plans for world dominance were nipped in the bud (cruely), at least in my mind. Being a Thai MP is the first step to greatness, as we all know. :o