Best Article Ever On How Credit, Debit, And Atm Cards Work Overseas, And Which Accounts Charge The Lowest Fees.

This article in wikipedia gives the most complete information I have found anywhere about how credit, debit, and ATM cards work overseas, and which accounts charge the lowest fees. If you get tired of reading all the details just scroll to the end to see the table of information on all the available cards.

http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Credi...oreign_Exchange

Its sort of related but watch yourselfs at atms over here there are at least two big time atm fraudsters at work in thailand that came over from uk last year and have been selling the software to clone and using a telephoto lens to get pin numbers

Please tell us more about how this scam works and how to protect ourselves.

Its sort of related but watch yourselfs at atms over here there are at least two big time atm fraudsters at work in thailand that came over from uk last year and have been selling the software to clone and using a telephoto lens to get pin numbers

colino: Not sure how widespread it is in Thailand but here's what to watch out for.

A team of organized criminals installs equipment on legitimate bank ATMs to steal both the ATM card number and the PIN. The team sits nearby in a car receiving the information transmitted wirelessly from equipment they install on the front of the ATM (see photos). If you see an attachment like this, do not use the ATM and report it immediately to the bank on the number on the front of the ATM.

The equipment used to capture your ATM card number and PIN is cleverly disguised to look like normal ATM equipment. A “skimmer” is mounted to the front of the normal ATM card slot that reads the ATM card number and transmits it to the criminals sitting in a nearby car.

At the same time, a wireless camera is disguised to look like a leaflet holder and is mounted in a position to view ATM PIN entries.

The thieves copy the cards and use the PIN numbers to withdraw thousands from many accounts in a very short time directly from the bank ATM.

post-6192-1175896720_thumb.jpg

Equipment being installed on front of existing bank card slot.

post-6192-1175896728_thumb.jpg

The equipment as it appears installed over the normal ATM bank slot.

post-6192-1175896740_thumb.jpg

The PIN reading camera being installed on the ATM is housed in an innocent looking leaflet enclosure.

post-6192-1175896747_thumb.jpg

The camera shown installed and ready to capture PINs by looking down on the keypad as you enter your PIN.

Peter

This article in wikipedia gives the most complete information I have found anywhere about how credit, debit, and ATM cards work overseas, and which accounts charge the lowest fees. If you get tired of reading all the details just scroll to the end to see the table of information on all the available cards.

http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Credi...oreign_Exchange

Good article for Americans as almost all the info concerns US banks

I put black insulating tape over the numbers on my card.

It does not stop the card from working as normal but stops anyone from reading the number.

I believe you need to read again the article on Wikipedia... :o

ATM read the magnetic strip, ATM and Credit cards alike.

The number embossed on the card might be usefull for thiefs only if it is a credit card (you can buy on Internet with only the card number, expiry date and 3 security digits behind).

But obviously your SCB card is just an ATM card.

Edited by cclub75

I've been using my (UK) Nationwide Flex Account worldwide for 16 years now, and have recommended it on numerous travel forums for as long as I can remember. I often see threads started or "bumped" confirming my findings on a few of the popular sites. Even in the States, where the banks are notorious for charging for EVERYTHING, I can find ATM's that do not charge for using my Flex card.

My wife's family has a card that they use up country, that was my Mum's old account. My wife can transfer some money via her internet banking, will call her parents, and they can withdraw it immediately for free. Nationwide also give a competitive exchange rate. Naturally care needs to be taken not to overdraw the account (i.e. do not give the card to someone you do not trust implicitly - a girlfriend you have only known for 2 weeks for example!!! :o)

I'd love to know how many Nationwide cards are being used by Thai families since my first post on Thailand-UK 6~7 years ago! If only I were on commission! :D

BTW, I have no connection with Nationwide other than banking with them. I find their services useful and inexpensive, and I am therefore more than happy to promote them. Check out their e-savings account via the internet banking for good interest rates and instant access!! :D