World Bank says Thai poverty rate increases, farm income slides

Jonathan Fairfield

20 minutes ago, mick220675 said:

Things are slowly returning to the pre-Thaksin days, the rich and powerful should be very pleased.

Yep. 

But we heard it so many times before the coups in 2005 and 2015.

Nonsense like, "the Thais need a strong leader", "they shouldn't be allowed to vote" and "they just sell their vote to the highest bidder".

So it isn't a surprise we are at where we are at now, under incompetent military rule sponsored by the same billionaire families.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BobbyL said:

Thailand needs to invest in education and create jobs in higher-income sectors

That goes against Thailand's deeply ingrained process of indoctrination. Generations of citizens left to just, 'know your place and shut up'.

There are many people to blame for this, but I know which establishment should take most of the blame.  

They must of took that off the british also . We have been peasants and nothing more for the last 1000+ years ! Welfare was only bought in to appease the peasants .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mick220675 said:

The government reduced the export of rubber in an attempt to raise prices, when they decided to sell the stock pile the price dropped for those off us growing rubber.

We don't tap rubber at this time of the year, but as things stand unless the price rises we may not start again. But when I look around our village we are the lucky ones.

I know a lot of people think Thai farmers are lazy drunks, but I know some amazing hard working farmers who are relay struggling and things are getting worse.

I don't doubt that for one second.

10 hours ago, JRG23 said:

Invest in education and create jobs? What and support the development of knowledgable, confident, wealthy people? No chance!!!! There's some tried and trusted methods of controlling the masses (and Thailand is great at all of them). Give 'em cheap liquor; give 'em lottery; give 'em prostitution; don't give 'em education; keep 'em poor. 

No wonder pensioners flocked to the kingdom.

• Sad 1