Solarpower On Samui

Next week I will probably have a meeting with a german guy who is promoting solarpower for remote areas in Laos (see <url removed>). Does somebody has an idea where on Samui it would be accurate to install solarpower?

Please share your ideas, thanx

Claude

Edited by Totster
URL removed

Next week I will probably have a meeting with a german guy who is promoting solarpower for remote areas in Laos (see <url removed>). Does somebody has an idea where on Samui it would be accurate to install solarpower?

Please share your ideas, thanx

Claude

I am pretty sure the sun shines on the whole island all year round. Though in late winter the north of Samui is generally covered in snow.

Does somebody has an idea where on Samui it would be accurate to install solarpower?

I'm no solar power Einstein, but I think it would be accurate to install solarpower anywhere where electrical power is needed and sunshine is available and cost doesn't matter. Lots of rich environmentally oriented folks on Samui - good bet!

@mafaso

No worry, thank you!

@mdeland

So I will contact Rotary Samui, maybe they have some ideas!

I am thinking about Ko Tam and Marine Park as well.

For the city supply the solarpower is too expensive and most of the people dont care about.

Cheers from Nathon,

Claude

You might have more success on Phangan or Tao, there are beaches too remote to be on mains power, and electricity comes from diesel generators. Though unless diesel becomes 10 times more expensive or solar power 10 times cheaper, I'm not sure you will have much success.

There is already a local solar power company who advertise here, though they quoted several months lead time to come, so I got mine from a company in Hua Hin, Sun Generation. I'm happy with it, but the locals think I am mad to spend so much money instead of just hooking up a generator and trucking in diesel.

@mafaso

No worry, thank you!

@mdeland

So I will contact Rotary Samui, maybe they have some ideas!

I am thinking about Ko Tam and Marine Park as well.

For the city supply the solarpower is too expensive and most of the people dont care about.

Cheers from Nathon,

Claude

Rotary Club ? I always thought they were a charity club ? :o

The main concern, drawback is watt density. The technology has vastly improved in the last 10 years as has battery and lumination technology. Using Solar to run a home is not cost effective yet,but it is near. You can buy HI Intensity LED bulbs in Samui now.

The life is 100,000 hours and brightness is so-so the emerging technology is now working on designing reflectors to channel the light.

The bulb only draws .0001 watt at 220v and are available in 12 v also. Deep cycle batteries are also greatly improved. This technology has greatly improved peoples life in India, The Middle East and other areas with out electricity, now they can have lighting at night.

You can see the technology working in Samui, the yellow and red flashing lights at many intersections are powered from batteries using Solar Cells to charge the batteries, the lights are HI-LED's.

The technology is coming fast but still not here yet, another 2-3 years should see vast improvements and a drop in price.

More information just P.M. me.

Farang62