Are there noise ordinances in Pattaya/Huay Yai?

Thomas J

We live in a group of homes but across the main street there are a number of businesses.  Each day one or more of these businesses turn on their loudspeaker and play extremely loud music.  I use the term music loosely.  It is mostly Thai drums.  Are there ordinances that limit the nuisance to the neighbors from playing at such an extremely loud level? 

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

He's doing you a favor, he's scaring away evil spirits!

PatOngo,

The evil spirits have left.  They couldn't stand the noise either.  Now that they are gone, how do I get him to stop. 

• Haha 2

Then I have good news for you-here in BKK, and quite close to that infamous KhaoSarn, the police also turned up when a new bisnis started and made too much loud music for a day or 2 and not only took out all electric plugs but also cut the wiring, that they could not just back plug in when they left. This place got the message and stopped and moved to some other place.

But yes, there will be some kind of regulation and as you must pretty well know, enforced only when those BiB are not contacted and given the required sums before by the noisemakers. Those who pay most win.

Thats why you must never ever rent a place before being able to sleep in it to check that all out.

I gather that it all depends on how where you live is zoned. If you're in the entertainment area then the local businesses can theoretically make your life miserable up to 1:00 AM, if it's not in the entertainment zone then they must stop at midnight. Naturally, nobody takes a blind bit of notice of any of that. A long time ago (2005) I lived for a year on Pratumnak Soi 4. At the top of the hill on Soi Pratumnak was a nice hotel, the Argyll. Then some enterprising local started an open-air karaoke bar right opposite the hotel. The noise was truly appalling and went on until all hours. It must have ruined the hotel's trade, but there was evidently nothing the (presumbly Scottish) owner could do about it as it the caterwauling was still going on when I left for quieter climes in Jomtien Beach.