Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ASEAN NOW

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

SCB ATM Card Failures

Featured Replies

Today I went to withdraw some money from an SCB ATM using my SCB debit card. The transaction failed, the machine ejected my card, and a message appeared telling me to contact the bank.

I tried it three times, with exactly the same result.

I then moved over to a Bangkok Bank ATM with my SCB card, but again, the same thing happened. The transaction would appear to go through, but the card was ejected and the screen displayed a message saying to contact my bank.

Next, I tried a Kasikorn ATM. Once again, exactly the same result.

I went back to the SCB ATM and tried one more time. Same thing.

I then went into a 7-Eleven for about five minutes. When I came back out, I tried the SCB ATM again and, presto, what do you know, it worked.

So I have no idea why it failed so many times and then suddenly started working. Obviously, there wasn’t a problem with my card or my account, so it seems like it must have been something with the SCB ATM network or banking system.

The only reason I’m making this post is because this isn’t the first time this has happened to me with SCB. I wouldn’t say it happens often, but it does happen from time to time, maybe a few times a year. And I don’t even withdraw cash from an ATM using my SCB card very often, perhaps once every week or two.

For people who withdraw cash regularly, I’m wondering if this is something that happens fairly often. Maybe it is, and maybe the same thing happens with other Thai bank ATM cards as well. I really don’t know.

It’s all a bit of a mystery.

As the message(s) said, contact your bank. Did you?

  • Author
47 minutes ago, anchadian said:

As the message(s) said, contact your bank. Did you?

There was no need. The card is from SCB, the ATM machine was SCB's own machine. It was a glitch that fixed itself around 20 minutes later. No issues with my card or my account. Their system failed, temporarily. And the same thing happens from time to time. It's unexplainable and concerning.

  • Popular Post

There was a recent post on here about cleaning the card chip to make it work.

  • Popular Post

Try giving the chip a quick rub with a pencil rubber/eraser!

That is what the bank clerk did when I went to my bank after the same problem and message!

  • Author
6 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Try giving the chip a quick rub with a pencil rubber/eraser!

That is what the bank clerk did when I went to my bank after the same problem and message!

Thanks. Just did that. Hopefully, that fixes the problem. If I damaged the card in the process and/or the problem still persists, I’ll get the card replaced. The card still appears to be in good condition, but I think it’s around 3–5 years old, so maybe it’s about time to replace it anyway.

Had something similar with SCB card, had to go to the bank and set up facial recognition, PITA.

SCB is one of the worst banks imo.

  • Popular Post

Yeh, that's happened to me a couple of times. But I didn't make a issue of it, I just got on with life.

That's what we used to do before social media. Remember?

  • Popular Post
1 hour ago, PJ71 said:

Had something similar with SCB card, had to go to the bank and set up facial recognition, PITA.

SCB is one of the worst banks imo.

I never had any problem with SCB in more than 20 years. I think that in the meantime all banks want you to set up facial recognition.

Edited by msbkk

On 9/5/2026 at 4:54 AM, ONIB said:

There was no need. The card is from SCB, the ATM machine was SCB's own machine. It was a glitch that fixed itself around 20 minutes later. No issues with my card or my account. Their system failed, temporarily. And the same thing happens from time to time. It's unexplainable and concerning.

Cards need to be renewed every 5 years, one day the machine will tell you to visit your bank.

  • Author
2 hours ago, Colabamumbai said:

Cards need to be renewed every 5 years, one day the machine will tell you to visit your bank.

You’re indeed correct, I’d forgotten about that. I just looked at my SCB card and realized that it expires mid 2028. I guess that means I’ve had it for about three years, as I thought.

I can’t remember whether I got it at the branch or if they sent this one to me in the post. But it doesn’t have my name on it, so maybe I did get it at the branch. If you want one with your name on it, perhaps you need to order a replacement through the app, and then they’ll send it to you by post.

I also vaguely recall now that if the card starts having problems, or if you request a replacement because you think someone may have attempted to use it fraudulently, they’ll replace it for free. Otherwise, I think they charge ฿100 if you request a replacement because the card is worn out from mishandling or has expired.

It's not just SCB or Thailand.

My Nationwide card in UK did similar - it would fail in some Nationwide ATMs but work in another bank's ATM

When I reported it by going into a NW branch, the teller scanned it and told me "the system says there is is problem with your card but doesn't say what" and simply ordered a replacement for me - they're free in UK btw. He could still give me cash over the counter though.

My point is the problem could be:

The card is intermittent, worn or dirty

ATMs can be intermittent or worn caused by much use

The bank's network could be temporarily down

Any combination of the above

  • Author
5 hours ago, VBF said:

My point is the problem could be:

The card is intermittent, worn or dirty

ATMs can be intermittent or worn caused by much use

The bank's network could be temporarily down

Any combination of the above

Excellent points. Fully agree. Thanks. 👍🏼

On 9/7/2026 at 3:43 PM, VBF said:

It's not just SCB or Thailand.

My Nationwide card in UK did similar - it would fail in some Nationwide ATMs but work in another bank's ATM

When I reported it by going into a NW branch, the teller scanned it and told me "the system says there is is problem with your card but doesn't say what" and simply ordered a replacement for me - they're free in UK btw. He could still give me cash over the counter though.

My point is the problem could be:

The card is intermittent, worn or dirty

ATMs can be intermittent or worn caused by much use

The bank's network could be temporarily down

Any combination of the above

An eraser was used by a recentposters bank here, to clean the chip?

On 9/5/2026 at 4:54 AM, ONIB said:

There was no need. The card is from SCB, the ATM machine was SCB's own machine. It was a glitch that fixed itself around 20 minutes later. No issues with my card or my account. Their system failed, temporarily. And the same thing happens from time to time. It's unexplainable and concerning.

"It's unexplainable and concerning."

sounds like a reason to get it explained.

Why not contact the bank to alleviate your concern?

On 9/7/2026 at 1:27 PM, ONIB said:

You’re indeed correct, I’d forgotten about that. I just looked at my SCB card and realized that it expires mid 2028. I guess that means I’ve had it for about three years, as I thought.

I can’t remember whether I got it at the branch or if they sent this one to me in the post. But it doesn’t have my name on it, so maybe I did get it at the branch. If you want one with your name on it, perhaps you need to order a replacement through the app, and then they’ll send it to you by post.

I also vaguely recall now that if the card starts having problems, or if you request a replacement because you think someone may have attempted to use it fraudulently, they’ll replace it for free. Otherwise, I think they charge ฿100 if you request a replacement because the card is worn out from mishandling or has expired.

Bangkok Bank I pay B450 Im sure and they want cash cannot pay from my account, every 5 years. The month could correspond to your date of receiving the original or as mine is renewed in the fall, possibly your birthday. Small town branch here in Ban Phe. You don't want to get caught out if town or out of the country at expiry. Next time I will as if can renew a month or 2 early.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.