British woman barred from flight to Thailand because she had novelty stamp in her passport

webfact

6 hours ago, pdtokyo said:

Dear oh dear. The things people do.

i'm a dual Oz-UK citizen and still have my (expired) UK passport, it's tucked away in my sock drawer and since the Brexit vote i've felt a mild sense of shame for even keeping the thing but re-cycling that once-respected document as an album for my theme-park novelty stamp collection? Brilliant! Thanks Tina Sibley.

Now ... where did i leave that Sanrio Puroland brochure? 

You can always renounce it if you are so ashamed ???? But remember, you are still part of the Commonwealth - ouch

4 hours ago, MJKT2014 said:

Nothing of the sort in a British Passport, it simply says: 

“Her Britannic Majesty's Secretary of State requests and requires in the Name of Her Majesty all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hindrance, and to afford the bearer such assistance and protection as may be necessary.”

I just looked in "my" British passport on top of what you said I read also "it should not be tampered with or passed to an unauthorised person" 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

I just looked in "my" British passport on top of what you said I read also "it should not be tampered with or passed to an unauthorised person" 

And yet her embassy said it was ok.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rabas said:

Surely, you jest. I live in -

KrungThepMahanakhonAmonRattanakosinMahintharaAyuthayaMahadilokPhopNoppharatRatchathaniBuriromUdomratchaniwetMahasathanAmonPimanAwatanSathitSakkathattiyaWitsanukamPrasit.

but that was done to outdo the Welsh name and claim the title.

10 hours ago, pdtokyo said:

i'm a dual Oz-UK citizen and still have my (expired) UK passport, it's tucked away in my sock drawer and since the Brexit vote i've felt a mild sense of shame for even keeping the thing but re-cycling that once-respected document as an album for my theme-park novelty stamp collection? Brilliant! Thanks Tina Sibley.

Pathetic. Maybe you would be happy with China telling Australia what to do and make your laws and decide your immigration and then give homage of billions of dollars to China each year.? So pathetic if you are so unhappy and full of shame then grow some and do as the US guy did in Thailand the other week and renounce your British nationality. 

Edited by Scot123
Change.

2 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

what a complete idiot to allow anyone to stamp anything in her passport other than officials of immigration offices and booths. Serves her damn right .... idiot.

And she paid money for that damn stamp. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MJKT2014 said:

“Her Britannic Majesty's Secretary of State requests and requires in the Name of Her Majesty all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hindrance, and to afford the bearer such assistance and protection as may be necessary.”

Look at the last page of your passport, Notes..Item #7....

12 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Ok the lady was a total naive and careless.....

....but on the other hand, who on earth do the cretins of tourist attractions think they are, to affix such stamps in the first place and taking the liberty to alter and destroy tourist's passports with their stupid rubber logos ? I would report this matter to the ministry of foreign affairs in my homeland and ask them to make a formal complaint to the ambassador of the country that puts such passport stamps in tourist attractions ...

I'm thinking that the numpty, probably thought "passport stamp"for toursit attraction, "Oh let's put it in my "passport".

10 hours ago, MJKT2014 said:

Read note 7 at the back of your passport.

13 hours ago, pdtokyo said:

My passport contains this statement:

"This passport must not be altered or mutilated in any way. Alteration could make the passport invalid, and if willful, may subject you to prosecution (Title 18, U.S. Code, Section 1543). Only authorized officials of the United States or of foreign countries may place stamps or make notations or additions in this passport."

Don't British passports have something similar?

13 hours ago, pdtokyo said:

I needed a bit of paper to draw a map to a theme park, tore that page out.

Did you? Then you tore the front cover off. ????

I ONCE was denied boarding a flight from paris to bangkok because i did

not have a return ticket (from thailand).

so i went to the airline office and asked to change the date for tomorrow (there, once

i was talking politely to an asian female officer, a european middle aged woman approached me and said 

in an angry french voice: "stop harassing my collegue !!". i told her "go back to your seat and shut up !!").

anyway, i came back to the airport the next day, and tried my plan.

i knew that the check in officers just look for problems and troubles to give to the passenger,

so my plan was to distract them and ask them about a problem with a stamp in my passport

and if they were sure it will not create a problem in bangkok air port and can they please

ask their supervisor, and it worked ! they forgot completely about the "return ticket" !!

• Haha 1

The UK doesn’t have an Immigration Check upon exit. There is just a security guard who checks your name on your boarding pass against your ID page on your passport. 

I’m wondering what sort of pathetic jobs-worth would ban someone for such a stamp and if it was the Airline themselves or Spanish Immigration [she applied for an emergency travel document at the British Embassy in Madrid after being told that the passport was valid and they couldn't issue a replacement] 

Someone was at the airport was being a complete and total a-hole that day. I have every sympathy with this lady, but it seems there is an ideal job out there for some of our more sanctimonious forum members who’ve already posted. 

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The UK doesn’t have an Immigration Check upon exit. There is just a security guard who checks your name on your boarding pass against your ID page on your passport. 

I’m wondering what sort of pathetic jobs-worth would ban someone for such a stamp and if it was the Airline themselves or Spanish Immigration [she applied for an emergency travel document at the British Embassy in Madrid after being told that the passport was valid and they couldn't issue a replacement] 

Someone was at the airport was being a complete and total a-hole that day. I have every sympathy with this lady, but it seems there is an ideal job out there for some of our more sanctimonious forum members who’ve already posted. 

From the linked article:  "Back at Madrid airport, Ms Sibley had no luck convincing Qatar Airways to let her fly. She asked Emirates if it would fly her, but after checking with Thai immigration officials, the airline said it would not."

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kelsall said:
7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

From the linked article:  "Back at Madrid airport, Ms Sibley had no luck convincing Qatar Airways to let her fly. She asked Emirates if it would fly her, but after checking with Thai immigration officials, the airline said it would not."

yup.... It's still all very odd. Since when do airlines pay attention to the stamps in our passports, other than checking if we have a Visa? 

Additionally, would Thai Immigration really reject someone for having a 'Machu-Picchu' stamp in their Passport? a lot of this is just extremely odd.

I suspect something was amis in the translation to the Thai Immigration: i.e. "Passport is defaced, will you accept?” which of course the answer is no (I’m just guessing of course). But again, it definitely appears there is either more to the story or someone was being particularly awkward - I see no reason for denial of passage, especially as the British Government (Embassy) told the lady the passport was still valid. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/10/2020 at 6:17 AM, pdtokyo said:

sock drawer and since the Brexit vote i've felt a mild sense of shame

Throw it away then if you can't accept a democratic referendum result. As you say you have an Australian one.

I see Australia isn't  in the EU. Will you be throwing that one away too or is it selective.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2020 at 5:17 AM, pdtokyo said:

Maybe UK passports should include the following...'All UK passports will be withdrawn from selfrighteous, sore losers who cannot stop moaning about Brexit'.

You could always use it to wipe your tears about Brexit.

• Like 2

Theres a good 

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

yup.... It's still all very odd. Since when do airlines pay attention to the stamps in our passports, other than checking if we have a Visa?

there is a good chance that the article is BS as it did come from "the sun"

• Like 1

No way! I never heard of 'novelty stamps'. Now I know, I want to get some - too many empty pages left in mine.

If you can't find novelty stamps, can you get your kids to put some nice crayon pictures in there?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, JAG said:

There must be a special institution somewhere which offers courses for people like her.

Nobody could be that stupid, surely?

Need i point it out again. Her own embassy said it was ok.

Her embassy had no issue. I personally dont like any marks in my pp which is really annoying when imm staples things in it. 

Just waiting for the refusal somewhere when they say something has been stapled and removed.