Thai national under 18 OK to travel overseas?

mngmn

Under 18 child will be traveling with their over 18 sibling to visit their mother overseas. Does the under 18 need a letter or anything in order to leave Thailand?

Their mother has sole custody. Father AWOL for many years.

A couple of years ago we added a letter from and signed by my wife that stated her son would be travelling to the UK with his uncle (her brother). We stated that they were to visit the UK for a holiday, No issues or concerns raised either with the visa approval or at the airport.

Her brother had an original version of the letter with him just in case the airline raised a concern,

Hope that helps and provides some reassurance

• Thanks 1

We took my wife's sons from a previous relationship overseas last year, kids haven't seen their biological father since they were bubs.

Local Amphur said try and find father to sign a consent first, if that failed, get the local mayor to provide a letter to the Amphur and the Amphur would provide a letter noting that the father was nowhere to be found, which they later did, we then did the visa applications and biometrics and it was smooth flying from there. 

Even though the mother was here, she still had to go through the process, so I imagine that their mother would have to do the same, from abroad though and best seek the help from family members.

That said, when searching for the father, e.g. went to his mother's, sister's and his X wife's houses in BKK, no luck, although we found out that he had 3 further relations since my wife left him, having a further two kids with each relationship, therefore my wife's sons have 8 step brothers and sisters......can you imagine if this country had child support....lol

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

We took my wife's sons from a previous relationship overseas last year, kids haven't seen their biological father since they were bubs.

Local Amphur said try and find father to sign a consent first, if that failed, get the local mayor to provide a letter to the Amphur and the Amphur would provide a letter noting that the father was nowhere to be found, which they later did, we then did the visa applications and biometrics and it was smooth flying from there. 

Even though the mother was here, she still had to go through the process, so I imagine that their mother would have to do the same, from abroad though and best seek the help from family members.

That said, when searching for the father, e.g. went to his mother's, sister's and his X wife's houses in BKK, no luck, although we found out that he had 3 further relations since my wife left him, having a further two kids with each relationship, therefore my wife's sons have 8 step brothers and sisters......can you imagine if this country had child support....lol

Thanks for your info.  Already have a visa and mother obtained sole custody as father is not Thai.  In spite of this concerned that IO will hassle them just because they can.   Maybe tell them to use the autogate?

Edited by mngmn

3 minutes ago, mngmn said:

Thanks for your info.  Already have a visa and mother obtained sole custody as father is not Thai.  In spite of this concerned that IO will hassle them just because they can.   Maybe tell them to use the autogate?

If the mother has a court order to that effect, perhaps a copy along with a letter for the child to travel should be enough. If the child is travelling alone, might want to check out the airlines policy as well.

If the child is being accompanied, might be easier, I would be talking to immigration as my wife did before hand, they can be helpful if you get the right one.