MPPT

male expat

2 minutes ago, stouricks said:

Be useful if we knew what MPPT was.

Solar charge controller.

Op, orders from China are usually less problematic than orders from the West.

If you're using Lazada, there're also Thai companies selling them.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/solar-charger-controller-40a-mppt-i282171122-s459302931.html

If from China, they know how to deal with the Thai customs and you'll see how much they charge for shipping. Usually free. 

I've never paid taxes for items from China. 

Please see: 

On 3/11/2020 at 11:57 AM, stouricks said:

Be useful if we knew what MPPT was.

Maximum Power Point Tracking.

Technique to get the most gain out of the solarpanel.

These tend to convert the volt and the amp to the right voltage and the amp fluctate.

Non MPPT controllers just dump the voltage to the lower voltage, and not using the full potential.

MPPT has an built in buck converter, with torroid ring to get the highest efficenty.

A good sign of which 'system'  the converter use is the price, when buying here in the store.

Classic converters cost about 700thb and for the same but with MPPT technique you would need to pay around 3500thb.

Be ware that there are many converters advertised as MPPT but instead are just ordinary dump converters

(the lowering of the voltage is converted into heat instead of useful currents.).

So to answer the OP question, do your research about the models you see on the pages from these sellers in China.

A google, a teardown-review on youtube, and posting here, will get u far more then just asking about MPPT and China which is just a big country.

wow  - thank you for your good advise.

Do you have good experience with a certain brand? We want to reduce our tremendous power bill of 16.000 THB a bit.

We think start with a small on grid system would be good for learning.

We are not sure if professional  installers here in Thailand scam you.

58 minutes ago, male expat said:

wow  - thank you for your good advise.

Do you have good experience with a certain brand? We want to reduce our tremendous power bill of 16.000 THB a bit.

We think start with a small on grid system would be good for learning.

We are not sure if professional  installers here in Thailand scam you.

Not really worthwhile (assume the panes on average produce 1/2 of the advertised power).

One 330w solar panel produces 1 unit/day in Thailand.

So for each panel you're saving 30 units/month = 130bht.

I actually saved more money by changing the lighting to LED, using less air-con, and following the kids around turning stuff off.

I'm using this GTI from Lazada, 3,000bht and can connect to 2 300w solar panels.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/gti-d600b-suoer-600w-mppt-24v-220v-pure-sine-wave-grid-tie-solar-power-inverter-with-digital-display-meter-i700726216-s1343368699.html

Edited by BritManToo

1 hour ago, male expat said:

how did you get the figure of only  1 WHY per day? Dis you measure?

I can confirm it and it is just all coincidental. One panel marked at 330watt and the daily sun coverage and the unit price of a kWh.

It is not far off from 4 baht one panel (300-330w) one day.

3 panels 30 days lowers the bill about 90 units so around 350 baht (in fact more for me as I am not using standard electric rate but am on a TOU system.)

Edited by Metropolitian
Typo

1 hour ago, male expat said:

how did you get the figure of only  1 WHY per day? Dis you measure?

My 'Suoer' GTI has a power meter on it, never more than 30 a month with 1 330w panel (last 6 months).

Just added a second panel (as it can take two) ..... Crossy who has 8 panels claims a similar output.

@4.25bht/unit will save me 130bht/month or 1,500bht/year .......

3 years to recover the outlay for each panel, 5 years if you include the GTI.

Monsoon, you get stronger sun but less of it.

Winter you get weaker sun but more days.

So nearly the same output all year round ..... smog might be hitting me a bit, but still too early to tell.

IMG_20200314_080600.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

The numbers seems low at only 4 bath per day.

But for me with DIY installation my break even point for the investment was theorerically after 2.4 years and assumed everything goes well and the 'guarantee of life' is at least 5 to 10 years it is considered a good investment.

I will expect it will start be profitable after 3 years, and thereafter giving me 2 to...? years of -free- electric.

5 minutes ago, Metropolitian said:

The numbers seems low at only 4 bath per day.

But for me with DIY installation my break even point for the investment was theorerically after 2.4 years and assumed everything goes well and the 'guarantee of life' is at least 5 to 10 years it is considered a good investment.

I will expect it will start be profitable after 3 years, and thereafter giving me 2 to...? years of -free- electric.

Crossy's GTI units have broken twice in less than 6 months.

The panels seem fairly robust.

I'm getting 260w total (out 2 330w panels) at this moment.

That'll be the highest reading for the day.

Edited by BritManToo

44 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I have calculated this too along with the warranty. It would be replaced without loss of investment but also a few days od no producity.

As you said the panels are seemingly robust I am not worried about these.

The inverter I have 1 year warranty from the shop and the factory confirmed 3 years.

Not wanting calling bad omens, This is Thailand where bad omens are real :whistling: .

In case the inverter preliminairy fails I will use the panels for running low volt equipments, untill then it is for the 230 volt.

44 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

About right comparable with mine, 3 panels of 330w each. The meter registering 360 watt going back in the net.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2020 at 12:42 PM, BritManToo said:

which area is this data for? May be geograpgy and fog plays a roll to? Is the direction of the panels good?

46 minutes ago, male expat said:

BROKEN BUT FAIRLY ROBUST???

TO ME THIS IS A CONTRADICTION. PLS ADVISE.

Please do not post in ALL CAPS! It is the internet equivalent of shouting.

If you go back and read the post in question it is the GTIs that have broken and the panels which are fairly robust.