Visa exempt border run options

With the coronavirus outbreak in UK likely to peak in next couple of weeks I would like to remain in Thailand for another month and am trying to decide best option with the changing requirements and restrictions for entry to Thailand.

My travel history as follows:

- 7 weeks Thailand November to December 2019 visa exempt plus 30 day extension

- 5 weeks back in UK

- 8 weeks Thailand January to March 2020 visa exempt plus 30 day extension

Options: 

Fly to Laos/Cambodia/Bali and return and apply for visa exempt

Land border crossing at Ranong closest to Samui where I am now

Appreciate any feedback on best solution

Edited by MartiMarti

Thanks for the reply.

With my arrival history (2 visa exempt by air since early November) and time spent in Thailand (approx 4 months out of the last 5 months) what are my chances of getting back in to Thailand on a visa exempt entry by air?

I don't think you would have a problem but it can depend upon the airport you fly into.

I suggested Surat Thani since there have been no reports of people having problems there. About the same for Samui.

3 hours ago, MartiMarti said:

For another visa exempt by air entry how long would I need to stay in KL before returning to Thailand, could I return after one day?

Also considering going to KL to apply for SETV, is KL a better option for this than Penang?

You can return the next day from Kuala Lumpur for another visa exempt entry. However, recognise that Immigration at airports (at some more than others) not infrequently deny visa exempt entry to those they consider spending too much time as a tourist in Thailand. It is better to get a visa.

Whether Kuala Lumpur is better than Penang for a tourist visa is a matter of opinion, and has varied over time. My own view is that Kuala Lumpur is, indeed, better.