SET fall 10% today. Thai stock exchange halt.

6 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Thais are habitual gamblers. Don't believe the stories you hear. 99% of gamblers are losers.

I disagree. I was a professional poker player for a year but couldn't handle the stress, with young kids. 

I have a millionaire friend who lost millions of dollars in 2008, who when asked about what to invest in, gave me great advice - "keep playing poker, you'll get more than if you enter the stock market". 

Stock buyers are gamblers and I'd many make a profit in the long run, just like good professional "gamblers".

8 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

NEVER sell when the market is going down

I don't think so.

If you have a long position and the market is going down 400 pips in a few days and keeps going down not selling will mean you just increase your losses and just blow up your account.

Better to sell to mitigate losses.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

But you lost again yesterday, and more again today right? Not good plan. 

is very easy,

if will go down = sell

if will go up= buy. 

Win with Yinn!

You can try. It looks easy when you know the past but all my friends who tried this strategy lost and are not trading anymore. It's easier to zoom out and look at the chart over multiple years. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I disagree. I was a professional poker player for a year but couldn't handle the stress, with young kids. 

I have a millionaire friend who lost millions of dollars in 2008, who when asked about what to invest in, gave me great advice - "keep playing poker, you'll get more than if you enter the stock market". 

Stock buyers are gamblers and I'd many make a profit in the long run, just like good professional "gamblers".

Ah a 1%er. There's always one.

Just now, Neeranam said:

I'm sure that there are many more here that have made money from stocks.

Myself included. I tend to mitigate the risk as much as possible. Spread yor portfolio, don't invest in "high gain, high pain" stocks. And above all "DON'T PANIC!"

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Funny I was also playing poker full time from 25-30 years old. Eventually, I got bored and teached myself how to program in a year. The funny thing is that I'm not a gambler and never played a game where I did not have a hedge except some lotto ticket when I was a teen... Poker teached me that I could make money by being right only 51% of the time, how to manage a bankroll and a lot of patience/self-control. It's possible to make a profit investing following the same basic principles. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Funny I was also playing poker full time from 25-30 years old. Eventually, I got bored and teached myself how to program in a year. The funny thing is that I'm not a gambler and never played a game where I did not have a hedge except some lotto ticket when I was a teen... Poker teached me that I could make money by being right only 51% of the time, how to manage a bankroll and a lot of patience/self-control. It's possible to make a profit investing following the same basic principles. 

Indeed. The 2 main principles in professional poker apply to gambling in the stock market - patience and discipline.

Yeah, it got boring staring at two computer screens for 14 hours a day. Now I am a recreational player financial markets and poker.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I disagree. I was a professional poker player for a year but couldn't handle the stress,

Don't understand why there would be stress if winning is that easy, only thing I know is that it is very stressful if thing don't go the way one expects

8 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Yeah, it got boring staring at two computer screens for 14 hours a day.

Jeez, someone who got bored of winning all day.

Now I have heard it all

4 minutes ago, Susco said:

Don't understand why there would be stress if winning is that easy, only thing I know is that it is very stressful if thing don't go the way one expects

Jeez, someone who got bored of winning all day.

Now I have heard it all

It hard to understand for uninitiated but in short it's called standard deviation.

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

Sorry Danny, you confused. Again. 

The market will go down today, and next week. 

If will go down= you sell.

If will go up= you buy. Very easy. 

If you listen to Yinn, you win with Yinn.

Yinn always win!

I don't know much about stocks but the little understanding I have indicates exactly the contrary to what you are claiming stocks up= sell   stocks down = buy as much as you can afford (chew) .... but maybe, (just maybe) in Thailand is the contrary

Edited by Mavideol

3 minutes ago, saengd said:

God forbid I made a spelling mistake too, bad me!

just a saying from an old adage ... attitude is contagious. when you are positive, it rubs off on people and you help to create a more positive atmosphere. Equally, when you are negative, this also has an effect

6 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

just a saying from an old adage ... attitude is contagious. when you are positive, it rubs off on people and you help to create a more positive atmosphere. Equally, when you are negative, this also has an effect

Another adage, lay down with dogs, get up with fleas.

26 minutes ago, Susco said:

Ever heard about a dead cat bounce?

It's obviously a reverse head & shoulders with a triple split and a cherry on the top.

I just love chartists. They are even more entertaining than the candlestick gurus. TA used to work before AI came in.

Sadly the most perfect chart analysis will be rendered useless by a ten word tweet from Donald Trump.

Or Russians walking away from an OPEC agreement.

Or Brexit news.

News trumps technical analysis on occasion.

That still doesn't mean you have to gamble. You can still have risk management. Strategy.

TA used to work before AI came in.

Technical analysis still works. Just not always. And will be trumped by news events. As long as you can factor that in it is of use. Most people still use it. As of course does AI.

Edited by Logosone

8 hours ago, Susco said:

Ever heard about a dead cat bounce?

Hmmm. 

Wall Street up 9%+

Think the cat not dead.

cat have 9 life.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, DrTuner said:

It's obviously a reverse head & shoulders with a triple split and a cherry on the top.

I just love chartists. They are even more entertaining than the candlestick gurus. TA used to work before AI came in.

I bought a couple books but never understood how TA could give me an advantage. My ex-roommate was telling me it's the ultimate way. I just bought and hodl while he spent hours in front of his charts. He is still working his day job and I'm in Thailand... 

1 hour ago, Tayaout said:

I bought a couple books but never understood how TA could give me an advantage. My ex-roommate was telling me it's the ultimate way. I just bought and hodl while he spent hours in front of his charts. He is still working his day job and I'm in Thailand... 

Technical analysis works. Some chart patterns have an accuracy rate of 70%.

Every major  bank has traders that use technical analysis. There is a reason for this.