Tourist visa extension in 'Covid-time'

All,  anyone recently had a 30 day extension on a 60 day tourist visa?  I understand immigration can change rules daily (hourly?); but if this recent covid fear-mongering has lead the Thai gov't to limit or eliminate the extension.  Also, if I change my visa to retirement during the 30 day extension; will I have to leave the country to do that?  Leaving the country could cause issues with the covid scare.  Any other advice for extending my stay other than tourist visa? Thanks so much for collective experience and wisdom (??) of the ThaiVisa participants.

No changes to getting a 30 day extension of the 60 day entry from a tourist visa.

You could apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry based upon qualifying for an extension of stay based upon retirement at immigration during the first 15 days of the 30 day extension at immigration. 

Requirements for it are here. https://division1.immigration.go.th/download/1551323081128.pdf

Then during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry you could apply for the extension.

OP, you won't be changing your "visa to retirement". You could do conversion of current visa to non o visa (based on retirement). That will give you 90 day permission of stay and prior to expiry you can apply for extension based on retirement. Both steps have requirements

On 3/12/2020 at 7:15 PM, ubonjoe said:

No changes to getting a 30 day extension of the 60 day entry from a tourist visa.

You could apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry based upon qualifying for an extension of stay based upon retirement at immigration during the first 15 days of the 30 day extension at immigration. 

Requirements for it are here. https://division1.immigration.go.th/download/1551323081128.pdf

Then during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry you could apply for the extension.

I have a Non O retirement multiple entry visa, 90 day stay expires in May. Can I get an extension in the local office (CM) or do I have to do a border run? 

My visa was based on UK state pension and did not require a bank deposit or health insurance, would I need either of these to get an extension? 

Help much appreciated, I apologise for the - probably simple - questions, but I have searched about and can't find the info anywhere.

Edited by Nigel Garvie

34 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

I have a Non O retirement multiple entry visa, 90 day stay expires in May. Can I get an extension in the local office (CM) or do I have to do a border run? 

My visa was based on UK state pension and did not require a bank deposit or health insurance, would I need either of these to get an extension? 

Help much appreciated, I apologise for the - probably simple - questions, but I have searched about and can't find the info anywhere.

You could apply for a one year extension of your current 90 day entry if you have 800k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 65k baht income.

All nearby countries are closed at this time for most entrie you would have to make a longer trip to someplace to get a new 90 day entry. Things may change though by May. All you can do is wait and see.

Your only option at this time is to apply for a 30 day extension that will require a letter from your embassy requesting it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1