Is it possible to renew non o multi before expiry

So lets say a non o multi based on marriage expires on the 15 april, is it possible for example to go to Savannakhet and make a new non o multi at any point before this date?

With the possibility of more borders closing it may be prudent to gain a new 90 day entry at the same times as renew the visa for one more year.

Thank you for any input.

• Like 1

They do not like you applying for a new visa before expiry of the previous one, but will usually reluctantly agree if you provide any kind of coherent justification. At worst, if denied a fresh visa, you would have a fresh 90-day permission to stay on your return, with a 60-day extension possible.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Toosetinmyways said:

I renewed my NON O marriage in Savannakhet three months before expiring of current visa also issued in Savannakhet. I just explained I was in Laos on business and would it be possible to issue new visa early. No problem.

Did you have a 1-year MultiEntry Non Imm O - marriage Visa that was still valid for 3 months?

If not, which Visa did you have and was its expiry date protected by a Re-Entry Permit?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Toosetinmyways said:

I renewed my NON O marriage in Savannakhet three months before expiring of current visa also issued in Savannakhet. I just explained I was in Laos on business and would it be possible to issue new visa early. No problem.

Hi Toosetinmyways,

Thanks for posting the scans of your 1-year MultiEntry Non Imm O - marriage Visa.

It's good to know that at Savannakhet they do not refuse to issue a new Visa when the one which you have is still valid.

The 1-year ME O - marriage Visa you got on 1 Nov 2019, was valid till 31 Oct 2020.

But you renewed the Visa on 1 Feb 2020 while your previous one was still valid for a whopping 9 months.

Obviously, when you are doing a border-run at the Savannakhet border-crossing (or you have to be there for business anyway) and you have some concerns that the thai authorities might stop the issuing of the 1-year ME Non Imm O Visa (which will happen when they roll-out the eVisa system to all neighboring countries), the renewal of your still 9-month valid Visa is a worthwhile option as it only costs you 5.000 THB for the extra 3 months.

3 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Hi Toosetinmyways,

Thanks for posting the scans of your 1-year MultiEntry Non Imm O - marriage Visa.

It's good to know that at Savannakhet they do not refuse to issue a new Visa when the one which you have is still valid.

The 1-year ME O - marriage Visa you got on 1 Nov 2019, was valid till 31 Oct 2020.

But you renewed the Visa on 1 Feb 2020 while your previous one was still valid for a whopping 9 months.

Obviously, when you are doing a border-run at the Savannakhet border-crossing (or you have to be there for business anyway) and you have some concerns that the thai authorities might stop the issuing of the 1-year ME Non Imm O Visa (which will happen when they roll-out the eVisa system to all neighboring countries), the renewal of your still 9-month valid Visa is a worthwhile option as it only costs you 5.000 THB for the extra 3 months.

Peter, look at the dates again on the visa's. You have gotten them wrong. His original visa was from 1 Feb 2019 (not 2020) until 31 Jan 2020 but he renewed it on 1 Nov 2019 and it expires on 31 Oct 2020 so you have everything wrong.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Peter, look at the dates again on the visa's. You have gotten them wrong. His original visa was from 1 Feb 2019 (not 2020) until 31 Jan 2020 but he renewed it on 1 Nov 2019 and it expires on 31 Oct 2020 so you have everything wrong.

Thanks, indeed I got it wrong.

So instead of 9 months before Visa expiry, he applied 3 months before Visa expiry.

Luckily my conclusion still stands that if you can provide a sensible explanation/reason the Savannakhet consulate will issue a new Visa even if your present permission to stay will only expire a couple of months later.

10 hours ago, emptypockets said:

A guy just posted on another thread that Laos is closed for business now. No entry, borders closed, no visas for a month I think he said.

Not all of the border crossings are closed. But apparently a visa issued by a Lao embassy or consulate will be needed enter.