USA Tax Refund Direct Deposited

FYI:  I file my federal return by paper.  I use the IRS PDF fillable forms.  I mailed in my return on Feb 21.  Today March 17 my refund was direct deposited in my Etrade checking account.  So just over three weeks soup to nuts and at no cost except the envelop and the stamp.  Curiously the IRS said there was a calculation error and my refund was a bit lower than I expected.  But the online status doesn't tell you the details beyond that.  I am supposed to get some notice in the mail with the details by March 22.  I know there was no math error as my return is fairly simple and I check things over and over both manually and with some help from Excel.  I can only imagine some different interpretation of something although as I just checked things again I see nothing wrong with my return.  Oh well.   I have to file a California NR return for last year so this is why I like to do the Feds first in case there are issues. 

Oh and many states are announcing two or three month filing extensions with no penalties or fees even if you owe taxes.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

I mailed in my return on Feb 21.  Today March 17 my refund was direct deposited in my Etrade checking account.

I mailed in my paper return about the same day. I owed taxes which I paid via Direct Pay. The reason for filing early was that last year they sent me a notice that part of my income was not earned, therefore could not be excluded via Form 2555 and billed me a few hundred more. They were wrong but it took a fair amount of back and forth to straighten out.

So, I decided to go early this year giving me plenty of time in case they wanted to pick a fight again. It's good to hear that they processed your paper return so quickly. I am going to assume then that if I don't hear from them by April that my return was checked and passed.      

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Why Me said:

I mailed in my paper return about the same day. I owed taxes which I paid via Direct Pay. The reason for filing early was that last year they sent me a notice that part of my income was not earned, therefore could not be excluded via Form 2555 and billed me a few hundred more. They were wrong but it took a fair amount of back and forth to straighten out.

So, I decided to go early this year giving me plenty of time in case they wanted to pick a fight again. It's good to hear that they processed your paper return so quickly. I am going to assume then that if I don't hear from them by April that my return was checked and passed.      

I always try to get a little refund, just because the penalty for owing can be stiff.  So I over with hold at work, etc.  The one or two times I owed money I sent them a check with my return.  My thought was that if they cashed the check with the words I had written on it saying closing Tax return, then they agreed with my tax return and the matter was closed.  Of course I am sure it is possible they might cash the check in any event even if they thought more taxes were owed and they would consider it only a partial payment. 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Why file for California, do you have property there?

Even though I am a Florida resident, I worked and earned wages in California last year so I have to file.  I had CA state taxes with held.  CA forms are a bit of a pain but over the years I have worked in California at various times as a contract engineer so I am familiar with their Non Resident forms

Edited by gk10002000
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/17/2020 at 2:04 PM, gk10002000 said:

I can not use that free online filing as that has income limits I make more than. 

Are you referring to free online filing only for those below 69,000 AGI?  I thought the same.  I started to do mine with the intention of mailing it in.  Then I read Credit Karma is free.  It is, I just filed today for free and my AGI exceeds 69,000.

4 hours ago, Oliver Holzerfilled said:

Are you referring to free online filing only for those below 69,000 AGI?  I thought the same.  I started to do mine with the intention of mailing it in.  Then I read Credit Karma is free.  It is, I just filed today for free and my AGI exceeds 69,000.

i did not see the Credit Karma thing.  But I have a few forms that I am pretty sure the free basic thing would not handle.  But that's OK.  I filed paper forms, and those were free.  Time from mailing to money direct deposited was 3 1/2 weeks so that was fine with me.  While I had a few forms, the numbers were not very complex.  Just Schedule D, some Dividends and Interest, and I did Schedule A this year to itemize as I had a ton of slot machine jackpots and wanted to deduct my gambling losses against those winnings, and then calculate taxes from the work sheet not the tax table. 

There is no income limit on Free File Fillable Forms. My AGI is about $250,000 in 2019.

https://www.freefilefillableforms.com/#/fd/signin

When you create an account without a working US phone number just enter any phone number and opt to receive security code via email. When you are filing just leave the phone number and driver license info on the last page blank.

Annotation 2020-04-05 031318.JPG

Edited by Thailand J
4 minutes ago, Thailand J said:

There is no income limit on Free File Fillable Forms. My AGI is about $250,000 in 2019.

When you create an account without a working US phone number just enter any phone number and opt to receive security code via email. When you are filing just leave the phone number and driver license info on the last page blank.

Annotation 2020-04-05 031318.JPG

It depends on which of the free filing platforms you are referring to.