UK Links Asylum Policy to Channel Migrant Issue Amidst Row with Ireland

Social Media

image.png

The relationship between the UK and Ireland faces strains as the UK government asserts it will not accept asylum seekers from Ireland until France agrees to take back migrants crossing the Channel. This stance, according to a government source, represents a response to the ongoing tension surrounding Dublin's proposed emergency legislation, aiming to send asylum seekers crossing from Northern Ireland back to the UK.

The dispute deepened with Irish Justice Minister Helen McEntee revealing that over 80% of recent arrivals in Ireland came through the land border with Northern Ireland. Deputy Prime Minister Micheal Martin echoed concerns, suggesting that the threat of deportation to Rwanda incentivized migrants to choose Ireland over the UK.

Prime Minister Simon Harris emphasized Ireland's commitment to not serve as a loophole for migration challenges and stressed the importance of collaboration between British and Irish governments.

However, a UK government source emphasized the condition for accepting asylum returns from Ireland, linking it to France's cooperation on Channel migrant returns. This stance emerges as the Home Office reportedly initiates a significant operation to detain migrants across the UK for deportation to Rwanda, a move that began earlier than anticipated.

Ministerial meetings between both countries are scheduled, albeit a postponement of a meeting between UK Home Secretary James Cleverly and Irish Justice Minister Helen McEntee. Amidst these diplomatic exchanges, Prime Minister Rishi Sunak defends the UK's Rwanda policy, citing its effectiveness as a deterrent, and characterizes illegal migration as a global challenge requiring innovative solutions.

Facing pressure from voters on migration issues, Irish Prime Minister Simon Harris seeks to amend existing laws regarding the designation of safe "third countries," aiming to allow the return of asylum seekers to the UK. This move follows an Irish High Court ruling challenging Ireland's designation of the UK as a safe third country in the context of the Rwanda deportation plan.

The proposed emergency legislation in Ireland aims to address legal concerns and potentially resume asylum returns to the UK upon enactment. Discussions are underway as both countries navigate complex legal and diplomatic challenges amidst the evolving landscape of migration policies.

2024-04-30

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

10 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Indeed. I thought the purpose of asylum was physical safety, not preference. Asylees are required to move to the first safe country, then wait.  "Shopping" for a preferred host country is not seeking asylum.  Obviously France is just happy to be rid of them. 

Is France happy to be rid of illegal migrants? Possibly but it appears that the same charge could be levied against the UK.

In any event, France isn't usually the first 'safe' European country where illegal migrants land. More often than not, it is either Greece or Italy.

There are effectively two choices: 1) The rest of Europe turns it back and says to Greece and Italy, "your problem". In such a case, I would suggest that a likely natural response from the Italian and Greek authorities would be to let those illegal migrants who were simply transiting though their countries en route to somewhere else, to do so unopposed 2) Europe accepts that it is a continent-wide problem and attempts to find a cooperative solution to the problem.

2 minutes ago, RayC said:

Is France happy to be rid of illegal migrants? Possibly but it appears that the same charge could be levied against the UK.

In any event, France isn't usually the first 'safe' European country where illegal migrants land. More often than not, it is either Greece or Italy.

There are effectively two choices: 1) The rest of Europe turns it back and says to Greece and Italy, "your problem". In such a case, I would suggest that a likely natural response from the Italian and Greek authorities would be to let those illegal migrants who were simply transiting though their countries en route to somewhere else, to do so unopposed 2) Europe accepts that it is a continent-wide problem and attempts to find a cooperative solution to the problem.

Cooperation sounds great. Let Europe cooperate and build refugee camps close to the borders of Europe. Let the asylum seekers stay until their claims are adjudicated. Have planes on standby to deport those who do not qualify. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Cooperation sounds great. Let Europe cooperate and build refugee camps close to the borders of Europe. Let the asylum seekers stay until their claims are adjudicated. Have planes on standby to deport those who do not qualify. 

The EU has deals with Libya and Turkiye to try and stem the flow of illegal migrants. How successful these initiatives have been - and whether they represent 'value for money' - is debatable Unfortunately, there do not appear to be any easy solutions. 

Edited by RayC
Punctuation
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, RayC said:

Europe, especially Germany, allowed this to happen and, in fact, encouraged it to a large degree in the early days until the full ramifications came home to roost.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Let's get a few million more over there to the EU/Ireland, then seal the border from the North!😂

EU hasn't given a damn about the boats, nor has France in particular bearing in mind the amounts of money they are charging the UK to supposedly stop the flow.

Why should the EU care?

You wanted your borders back. 

Oh…. It’s always somebody else’s fault!

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Why should the EU care?

You wanted your borders back. 

Oh…. It’s always somebody else’s fault!

So, in your view, why do we have borders around the world at all?   Yes, we wanted our borders back, but not EU's immigrant problems.

Let's have a free for all.

What an absolutely ill thought out daft comment you made.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

So, in your view, why do we have borders around the world at all?   Yes, we wanted our borders back, but not EU's immigrant problems.

Let's have a free for all.

What an absolutely ill thought out daft comment you made.

That’s a strange take on my view.

The UK has its borders back (although loss of control over the borders was always a myth) and the Government of over 14 years that boasts of getting those borders back has promptly lost all control of the borders.

And not just immigration.

While you are being distracted by small boats, the UK has near zero customs controls at the southern ports, smugglers are having a field day and the exchequer is missing out on millions in duty owed.

It’s chaos.

And it’s all down to the failure of this 14 year long Tory tenure.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Indeed. I thought the purpose of asylum was physical safety, not preference. Asylees are required to move to the first safe country, then wait.  "Shopping" for a preferred host country is not seeking asylum.  Obviously France is just happy to be rid of them. 

So the UK should chuck all the Ukrainian refugees out and send them back to Poland then?

And refugees are not 'required' to move to the first safe country and wait. Read the 1951 Refugee Convention of which the UK is a signatory./

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, mrfill said:

So the UK should chuck all the Ukrainian refugees out and send them back to Poland then?

And refugees are not 'required' to move to the first safe country and wait. Read the 1951 Refugee Convention of which the UK is a signatory./

Yes. No need for them to be anywhere else. I'd like Canada to chuck them all out as well. Putting too much pressure on the housing market.

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It looks like your question will be answered once Sunak stops hiding from the electorate.

I’ll put a punt on this though.

As soon as a Labour Government comes along the news media will suddenly lose its aversion to discussing the part Government failure has in the Immigration mess.

Nice dodge.

The correct answer was "yes it will be much worse under a Labour government".

The UK is done. I'm glad I saw the best of it and left at the right time. 

Wokeism/Liberals will cause the ruination of the West and common sense will see the rise of the East. Thankfully I predicted this and planned appropriately so i don't have to live through the failure we are currently seeing.

I watch it from a distance with a sadness for my extended family and a huge dose of relief that I could forsee it and acted upon my instincts. 

My remaining hope is that Liberals stay there and experience what they created. It's only a matter of time before it reaches Islington. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Nice dodge.

The correct answer was "yes it will be much worse under a Labour government".

The UK is done. I'm glad I saw the best of it and left at the right time. 

Wokeism/Liberals will cause the ruination of the West and common sense will see the rise of the East. Thankfully I predicted this and planned appropriately so i don't have to live through the failure we are currently seeing.

I watch it from a distance with a sadness for my extended family and a huge dose of relief that I could forsee it and acted upon my instincts. 

My remaining hope is that Liberals stay there and experience what they created. It's only a matter of time before it reaches Islington. 

Never say never.

You’ll be back Jonny.