7 Weeks Left for "Border Run" on Non-O-What to do?

I have 7 weeks left to do a border run on my Non-O Visa by marriage (which is due soon too at start of June).

I am US Citizen that has family here. While it may be the best option to just head to the US simply from visa issues and the borders closing,

my family is here and I want to be close to them.

Things are set to get worse and it looks like the neighboring countries (and soon Thailand) will close their borders.

From what Im gathering, my only options are to go to countries that don't have their borders closed or blocking US citizens or to go back to my country.

My understanding IF Thailand closes its border, my only two OPTIONS are

1) can ONLY go back to America by permission with the embassy and not other countries that allow foreigners in at that time (I cant even go to say Vietnam even if they allow Thailand to come in)?

2) I could overstay, but why pay heavy fines while waiting for 2 weeks and getting hassle from immigration?

My only conclusion, and I guess 'HOPE', is that the government will temporarily allow visas/border runs to overstay until Thailand can open its borders along with other countries.

But Im been highly skeptical and very pessimistic with how the Immigration has treated foreigners.  This COULD be an opportunity for Thailand to put on a good face for the world to show an extension of good-faith/hand if they can ease up on foreigners who WILL overstay due to COVID-19.

ALso, leaving the country wont be easy in 30 days from now. Very few planes and extremely high costs. Many people who are stuck here will not pay the high costs or simply wont afford it.

• Thanks 1

you post a lot, but not much to help someone help you

1 what do you want to do fly home and leave the family or stay here

2 what type of visa do you have multi or single entry non immigrant 'O' or an extension of stay from local immigration,

3 when was the visa issued and when does it expire

4 what is the date on your last permission to stay issued when you entered Thailand,

5 a 60 day visit Thai wife/family can be obtained an every 90 day entry you make, 1,900 thb

5 minutes ago, steve187 said:

you post a lot, but not much to help someone help you

1 what do you want to do fly home and leave the family or stay here

2 what type of visa do you have multi or single entry non immigrant 'O' or an extension of stay from local immigration,

3 when was the visa issued and when does it expire

4 what is the date on your last permission to stay issued when you entered Thailand,

5 a 60 day visit Thai wife/family can be obtained an every 90 day entry you make, 1,900 thb

1. Stay here.

2. Multi-o

3. Visa was issues Jun of last year, expires start of June this year

4.May7

5, Ah yes, I can do that.

14 minutes ago, JacobD said:

1. Stay here.

2. Multi-o

3. Visa was issues Jun of last year, expires start of June this year

4.May7

5, Ah yes, I can do that.

so your best bet would be to obtain a 60 day extension in early may which will take you to early july,

if possible do a fresh border bounce before the visa expires in early june for a fresh 90 day and then another 60 day extension which would take you to early november ( may not be possible due to other countries arrival restrictions.

the other option you have if possible is to put 400,000 baht in an account in your name and get a yearly extension, alternatively 40,000 baht per month transferred from abroad, for the yearly extension

good luck

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, steve187 said:

so your best bet would be to obtain a 60 day extension in early may which will take you to early july,

if possible do a fresh border bounce before the visa expires in early june for a fresh 90 day and then another 60 day extension which would take you to early november ( may not be possible due to other countries arrival restrictions.

the other option you have if possible is to put 400,000 baht in an account in your name and get a yearly extension, alternatively 40,000 baht per month transferred from abroad, for the yearly extension

good luck

Super thanks.

Also, I believe an announcment is imminent. I'm guessing its going to be bad news for visa runners and possibly good news for those on Non O's - especially with a wife and kids.

Edited by KhaoYai

12 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Also, I believe an announcment is imminent. I'm guessing its going to be bad news for visa runners and possibly good news for those on Non O's - especially with a wife and kids.

I hope its good news my border run is due on april 18th already done my 60 day option, im hoping immigration will allow me to go there and get a 90 day stamp

19 hours ago, steve187 said:

good luck

Just on the 60 day extension for non o Multi, I have one blank page left in pp. Is it enough space for them to put the extension stamp etc?

Hi, I'm in the same boat. I'm currently trying to do a 60 day extension of my multi entry non-o at Chiang Mai immigration. I was told I need to show 400,000 in the bank. Is this correct? I've read reports that this is not required for a 60 day extension. Are the rules are different in BKK?

4 minutes ago, andy85 said:

Hi, I'm in the same boat. I'm currently trying to do a 60 day extension of my multi entry non-o at Chiang Mai immigration. I was told I need to show 400,000 in the bank. Is this correct? I've read reports that this is not required for a 60 day extension. Are the rules are different in BKK?

For a 60 day extension, to visit wife/child, this is not normally needed... Only required for a year extension to stay !!

I think you should ask a different IO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, andy85 said:

When using the money-in-bank method, the 400K is required when applying for a 1-year extension of stay based on your current Non Imm O - marriage Visa.

It is not required when you apply for a 60-day extension for reason of visiting your thai wife.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

A prediction? Or do you know something we don't?

Phetchabun immigration have stopped issuing 60 day extensions for visiting Thai wife (non-o multi-entry). They said that i am not visiting my wife but live with her and that i have to leave the Country every 90 days.

Dont know if this is only for Phetchabun or is general new rule.

Following.

My non O marriage based multi entry expired on 16/1. I came in on 11/1 so my permission to stay expires 10 April.

Was planning a trip to Savanakhet to get new visa but I believe Laos closed this border yesterday and the Consulate wants both a medical certificate and covid insurance.

I still can seek a 60 day extension, not done that on previous entries, so will see about that next week. If Thailand imposed a full lockdown à La France I guess couldn't do that either. What then?

Not sure I can go back to my French home, even if I could get a flight, as I'm a Brit with a residency card, not a French national. I don't have a home in the UK.

8 minutes ago, Carlosm said:

Phetchabun immigration have stopped issuing 60 day extensions for visiting Thai wife (non-o multi-entry). They said that i am not visiting my wife but live with her and that i have to leave the Country every 90 days.

Dont know if this is only for Phetchabun or is general new rule.

I am not 100% sure, but I thought you could apply for the 60-day extension for visiting Thai wife at ANY thai IO, so you could just apply at another office.

29 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

I am not 100% sure, but I thought you could apply for the 60-day extension for visiting Thai wife at ANY thai IO, so you could just apply at another office.

Hope someone can clarify this (ubonjoe for example).

Edited by Carlosm

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

When using the money-in-bank method, the 400K is required when applying for a 1-year extension of stay based on your current Non Imm O - marriage Visa.

It is not required when you apply for a 60-day extension for reason of visiting your thai wife.

Thank you very much @Peter Denis and @cornishcarlos. I went back, spoke to someone else, and got a 60-day extension without showing a bank statement.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aland said:

To posters that have gotten the 60 day extension, what all do you need to bring with you to get the extension?

I used this guide:

https://www.thethailandlife.com/non-immigrant-visa-extend-stay-60-days

Also bring a passport sized photo to attach to your application form. Can collect & fill in the form at immigration.

Edited by andy85

I am in the same boat, visa based on marriage about to expire. I have already done the 60 day extension so I had booked a hotel in Savannakhet for next week. 

I guess I will have to visit immigration on Monday morning and see what they say. Not something I am particularly looking forward to as I have no idea what is going to happen. Hopefully they may announce something over the weekend.

23 minutes ago, UdonRoy said:

I am in the same boat, visa based on marriage about to expire. I have already done the 60 day extension so I had booked a hotel in Savannakhet for next week. 

I guess I will have to visit immigration on Monday morning and see what they say. Not something I am particularly looking forward to as I have no idea what is going to happen. Hopefully they may announce something over the weekend.

The bridge to Savannakhet seems to be closed for you.