Laos border crossing

I have just heard the Laos have closed there borders due to the virus.  Was due to go to Nongkhai / Vientian next week for a via exempt crossing.  Does anyone have any news about the closure. 

open for now to people who have a consulate issued visa - not sure about e visa - no voa issued.

currently friendship bridge at Mukdahan/Savannakhet open.

Bangkok lao consulate was issuing yesterday, not sure about today but i suspect so. 

call them, they actually answer the phone unlike savannakhet

20 minutes ago, edd999 said:

The plan was to go into Laos .... then immediately return to Thailand on visa exempt... the second time this year.  Does anyone have any suggestions .....

You can only go to Laos if you get a visa from a Lao Consulate in Thailand in advance, and they will require a medical certificate for you to get one.  I'm not sure if any other borders are open for in/out border runs any more.

Hey,

the information I find was very confusing. My appointment in Vientiane is on March 30th, applying for 1 year ED visa. Is the friendship bridge in Vientiane open ? Already booked tickets from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani. Other option is Bangkok - Vientiane. Really dont know what to do now, would be grateful for any information and advice.

15 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

You can only go to Laos if you get a visa from a Lao Consulate in Thailand in advance, and they will require a medical certificate for you to get one.  I'm not sure if any other borders are open for in/out border runs any more.

untrue, no medical certificate required at laos consulate bangkok yesterday.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Who says that? If I am not confused just the Thai consulates in Laos require a medical certificate, if you apply for a visa there. Not the other way around. Moreover, no certificates needed to cross through land borders, just if you fly into LOS. 

That info may change within a day over even hrs, but that`s the most recent info I got.

Edited by SpanishExpat

44 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

alas the bold part is the only fact you speak.

• Like 1