Grid tie in solar power, new changes or is it just me

chilidog

1 hour ago, chilidog said:

This seems completely backwards way of thinking.

the feed in tariff, if you can get onto it (few can), is less than ½ the price you pay for power so why would they permit you to get double price?

Had you asked here you would have known the result and avoided it.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

6 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

Why not go off grid ?

Why go off grid when there is abundant grid backup for when the sun shineth not.

It costs little if you don't use much grid power and it's there when you need it.

In reality, even with our available roof space filled we won't generate enough to cover our monthly usage.

EDIT Currently generating 1.6kW from our 8 panels, grid consumption is 95W, if I turn off the fan we will go into export. With the grandkids here (computers running) it's not going to happen.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Why go off grid when there is abundant grid backup for when the sun shineth not.

It costs little if you don't use much grid power and it's there when you need it.

In reality, even with our available roof space filled we won't generate enough to cover our monthly usage.

EDIT Currently generating 1.6kW from our 8 panels, grid consumption is 95W, if I turn off the fan we will go into export. With the grandkids here (computers running) it's not going to happen.

Don't you have batteries to store your power ?

I am off grid , have just enough panels and batteries for my daily consumption , if I need more , I will just connect a few  more panels and may be another battery . (Easy to do )

Edited by nobodysfriend

Possibly because like most countries, smart meters are installed to watch the amount used as well as the amount fed back into the grid.

Reason being, two different rates. 

The one you use at x amount per unit and the amount you pump back in at maybe (x/4) per unit.

In Aus, we pay around 23.6c/unit for basic tariff 11 and feed back is 7.8c/unit.

On 3/20/2020 at 6:22 PM, Crossy said:

How much solar do you have?

Something like this, with some LiPO4 batteries could be your solution but it's going to cost ????

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000467854991.html

HTB1JpKWU3HqK1RjSZFk760.WFXaz.png

Manual for the inverter Manuale_utente_inverter_ibrido_(EN).pdf

I was looking at this one .......

https://www.solar-thailand.com/EN/Product.asp?Data1=WSKB-2000

Same game but a bit cheaper at 9kbht as it doesn't feed back to the grid.

(if your meter won't let you, no point in doing it)

Edited by BritManToo

1 minute ago, nobodysfriend said:

40 Amperes is not a lot . Only if you have few panels . Better buy 80 or 100 A Mppt ...?

I'm of the opinion I'd rather have more smaller units (in case of failure).

The one I linked will take 3 solar panels in parallel. If you need more panels, get more units.

I could have 4 of Crossy's units using 12 x 330w panels for less money.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nobodysfriend said:

They pay you 7.8cts and sell it for 23.6cts ... not really a fair price .

Indeed, Thailand is similar and other countries are heading the same way.

This is, of course, the reason they don't want you spinning things backwards. The days of nice feed-in tariffs are sadly over.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

They pay you 7.8cts and sell it for 23.6cts ... not really a fair price .

Really depends when you installed the PV system and where. I still get 44 cents per kWh feed in that's in Queensland. That rate has slowly been eroded of time for new installations when the government realised going green can cost them.

Edited by emptypockets

Those who have had exporting denied, do you have "legal" systems installed by approved installers using approved components?

Our system is most definitely not legal (DIY install, non-approved inverters).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, globin said:

Yep, did the same thing to me recently.  I am furious with the typical hypocrisy.   And I am tired of hearing all the power company shills chiming in with their 1/2 baht.

If you understand the way the power grid and supply and control systems function you would know why the grid power costs more than the price they are willing to pay you as a feed-in tariff. 

it is not a simple I pay X per kWh so I should be payed X per kWh that I export.

Now how much less than X is reasonable, is a completely different discussion but that you should be paid X-(an amount that enables grid control systems, these include power stations, to function) is absolutely correct.

Are you willing to do the work needed to understand the subject and reasons or would you like to continue to blindly whine about a fake perceived injustice? 

Whining could get featured on r/EntitledPeople

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Could anyone list some of these offers for solar power grids without battery please?

I'd like to run my swimming pool pump (2 x 4 hours/daily) during the day only, so panels and inverters should do?

Thank you for your input/feed-back ????