Buying A Car

regal

Id like to buy a car, but Im on a tourist visa.

What are my options?

Is there any legal papers I can draft similar to 30 year leases on land between me and a friend?

Is a contract written between a thai and farang legal here?

If so, who is trustworthy to drafts such a document. Ive seen some pretty shady lawyers.

Im sure there must be others out there who have done this. Any advice helpful.

If you pay cash, a tourist visa is ok. (Well things change here fast, but at least it was okay two years ago.)

If you want leasing through a finance company then you probably need 50-60% downpayment or guaranty from a Thai if you want it in your name.

Good Luck.

:o

Fantastic news Felt 35.

Yes, Cash no problem.

Everyone I spoke with said I needed a more permeant type of visa. Has anybody else out there bought a car recently with ONLY a tourist visa?

What else do i need besides a DL and a international Driving permit?

The rules are that you need a Non Immigrant visa to enable you to register the car in your name, in theory a tourist visa is not enough.

However, a friend with NO VISA has just got a car registered in his name in an 'in the sticks' office that probably didn't know the rules, somewhere like Bangkok, Phuket or Pattaya would probably have said no.

But as ever smile politely and assure them that you have been told by 'insert the name of some high sounding official' that it wouldn't be a problem and that everyone does it, failing that you might have to 'cover their costs'

J

The rules are that you need a Non Immigrant visa to enable you to register the car in your name, in theory a tourist visa is not enough.

However, a friend with NO VISA has just got a car registered in his name in an 'in the sticks' office that probably didn't know the rules, somewhere like Bangkok, Phuket or Pattaya would probably have said no.

But as ever smile politely and assure them that you have been told by 'insert the name of some high sounding official' that it wouldn't be a problem and that everyone does it, failing that you might have to 'cover their costs'

J

excellent point

people i know have been able to open bank accounts without work permits in country towns

so it maybe worth a try

Regal,

Yes, get the Immigration proof of address first, that will help.

Give it a go, as you've already found things are different when there are not too many farang in town, people's attitude is to try to help, whereas my experience in Phuket is that they will make it as hard as they can for you.

J

Assuming you skinny by the purchase and registration obstacles to owning and registering a car in Thailand on a tourist visa, then what about insurance.

I would be very surprised if any insurance company would insure a car purchased by a farang on a tourist visa.

Do it legally. Find a willing Thai to register it in his name, buy the insurance, he gives you written permission to drive the car and for safety, have a lawyer draft an agreement in which the Thai holds the car in trust for you, or shows that you loaned the money to buy the car to the Thai and he gives you a lien on the car for the purchase price, to be repaid to you upon demand, with re-possesson rights or whatever the lawyer recommends.

Regal,

I'll let have to let someone else answer, I've forgotten what I took to get the Immigration address statement, but it wasn't much, maybe even nothing? (hence I can't remember what I took).

I don't see a problem with you getting insurance, of course you ought to get yourself a Thai Driving License whilst your there!

J

I would be very surprised if any insurance company would insure a car purchased by a farang on a tourist visa.

Huh? Do you need insurance in Thailand?

I know several police and highway policemen that own big bikes, none of them pay insurance and tax.. why should we then?

Dutchy

I know several police and highway policemen that own big bikes, none of them pay insurance and tax.. why should we then?

Dutchy

Farang should behave more Thai, this will positively affect our integration into Thai 'culture' :o

That's because they are police and highway policemen.

Did they have numbers on the bikes? As a lot are brought in as parts from Japan and built up here, they don't have registration as they don't officially exsist.

Don't do as I do, do as I say.

Well Dutch- Im thinking about a newish truck so if i dish out THAT much money it will need to be insured. Any one have Insurance with Viator ( sp?) and knows what they had to prove to get a policy?

And to you ProThaiExpat, i am leaning in your direction, as i have a thai friend that i can use. Im living in the sticks, so im challenged to find a good lawyer. Phuket is 6 hours from here. Can anybody recommend any lawyer there for this kind of matter? I dont where to start.

Thanks to everybody for their enormous help! :)

Call the International Law office. Ask for Friedrich "Sam" Fauma.

They have an office in Patong( Rat-U-Thit 200 pee Rd), and also in Phuket City. (Chaofa Rd, near Suan Luang Park) 076 340731/ 076 222191.

I have consulted them every time I have bought any vehicle. The law have changed was the last they told me.

If you have no work permit, you will need a notification from the Immigration to confirm your address in Thailand. If a friend of you, or girlfriend/boyfriend/wife/partner have a permanent address where you buy the car you can use a copy of their house- registration and Id- card, if not maybe your landlord can help! It takes five minutes at Immigration. Bring with you the documents from your friend, your passport and a copy. You shall not pay any fee for the document.

Usually the car dealer takes care of the Insurance, different dealers use a few different Insurance companies, but you can of course choose the company you want. Remember driving licence.

Get it in your own name.

Good Luck :o

Assuming you skinny by the purchase and registration obstacles to owning and registering a car in Thailand on a tourist visa, then what about insurance.

Do it legally. Find a willing Thai to register it in his name, buy the insurance, he gives you written permission to drive the car and for safety, have a lawyer draft an agreement in which the Thai holds the car in trust for you, or shows that you loaned the money to buy the car to the Thai and he gives you a lien on the car for the purchase price, to be repaid to you upon demand, with re-possesson rights or whatever the lawyer recommends.

I have never know the insurance company ask for anything beyond,

Copy of passport for id

Copy of car registration to see that I own it

Astral: You may be right, the insurance company may wll rely on the car registration as documentation but they asked for my passport and verified my visa status, both for insurance and for registration.

Insurance companies use any irregularity to deny a claim, so while fender benders may not get much scrutiny, if a big payoff is involved, you bet they will check and double check all documentation for a reason to deny coverage.

I don't know one way or the other, but your application for insurance may well have a clause regarding your representation regarding visa status in Thailand, or in the alternative, if you obtained your registration fraudulently, ie. misrepresenting your visa status or obtaining the registration in violation of Thai law or regulation, denial of coverage is a slam dunk due to misrepresentation that your registration is legal or valid.

Some dark night when a Thai in dark clothes walks into the path of my vehicle and ends up dead, I wouldn't want any holes in my license, registration or insurance that could be used to incarcerate me.

update:

I was able to register a nearly new car yesterday in my name and get it insured through Viator. It was very easy. Even with a tourist visa. Is it possible the rules have changed or maybe I was just lucky? Which ever the case I am grateful for your advice. Signed happy to have wheels! :o

Rules haven't changed, just the people who processed your reg. not knowing the rules for a falang owning a vehicle. Do yourself a favour and get a Thai driv. lic. Like an earlier poster said if ever involved in a big accident your insurer could find a way out of coverage.

• 3 years later...

I have never know the insurance company ask for anything beyond,

Copy of passport for id

Copy of car registration to see that I own it

Where do you register the car? Department of Land Transport?

I have non imm "o" visa 1 year multiple entry

Can get letter from embassy as proof address

I have a valid Thai Driving Licence with address on it

What I am trying to establish is where to do it. I did my licence at the local Department of Land Transport. Would the registration of the vehicle be in the same place?

Edited by maprao

Many people take chances here that I would never take. High on the list is driving a motorcycle in Bangkok or Pattaya. The other is driving without a Thai license or insurance. Third party insurance here in Thailand is VERY inexpensive. That type is only comprehensive coverage. A major advantage of having insurance is that the insurance agent is on your side. Your insurance company definitely doesn't want to pay unless it is clearly your fault so you are well protected. The driver's license is only important because without it, your insurance may not be valid. BUT! Up to you. :o

To get back on topic, you DON'T need a work permit to own a vehicle. You will need a visa and a paper from immigration to verify your address here in Thailand. I have three vehicles. The pickup is in my name. The car and motorbike are in my wife's name.

Edited by Gary A

Nothing in the Motor Forum :o

I have regged cars on tourist and non imm O and B's.. I have done bikes even on a 30 day visa exempt stamp.

I also had insurance that I inherited from someone selling the jeep.. That policy covered any driver even in a rental situation and I had in writing that they would accept ANY driving license including home country ones not just Thai and international.. Never did claim tho.