Chaeng Wattana Non-O Retirement extension finshed at desk by 07:00am today (almost!)

I was planning to go to CW on Monday to cancel my work permit and then go to Udon immigration the next day with bank statement and letter confirming 800,000 baht deposited over 2 months to apply for retirement visa. 

But will immigration issue new retirement visas, as opposed to extensions, now they're not letting foreigners back in to Thailand unless they have a work permit?

20 minutes ago, bannork said:

I was planning to go to CW on Monday to cancel my work permit and then go to Udon immigration the next day with bank statement and letter confirming 800,000 baht deposited over 2 months to apply for retirement visa. 

But will immigration issue new retirement visas, as opposed to extensions, now they're not letting foreigners back in to Thailand unless they have a work permit?

You will not be able to cancel your work permit Chaeng Wattana immigration. That has to be done at the Department of Employment of the Labor Ministry. You can only cancel your extension of stay at immigration.

You will still be able to apply for a extension of stay based upon retirement at Udon immigration. The restrictions on entering the country has nothing to with applying for your extension. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You will not be able to cancel your work permit Chaeng Wattana immigration. That has to be done at the Department of Employment of the Labor Ministry. You can only cancel your extension of stay at immigration.

You will still be able to apply for a extension of stay based upon retirement at Udon immigration. The restrictions on entering the country has nothing to with applying for your extension. 

Yes, apologies,  I wasn't making myself clear there. The secretary at my school told me I don't have to go the Labour Ministry, she will go herself after I cancel my extension of stay. She gave me photocopies of work permit pages to take to CW. I'll see how it goes on Monday. Thanks for all your help Joe.

This is an excellent report. And I am happy to see CW get things under control. It must have been a living nightmare for the IO's, and fortunately the leaders either responded or got out of the way. I will be going in next week or the week after, and this has reduced my stress level significantly. Thank you.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, timendres said:

This is an excellent report. And I am happy to see CW get things under control. It must have been a living nightmare for the IO's, and fortunately the leaders either responded or got out of the way. I will be going in next week or the week after, and this has reduced my stress level significantly. Thank you.

Keep in mind that the OP spent 5 hours at CW before he got his extension. I went last Wednesday, the height of madness, and I spent 6 hours there. At the worst of times, I have never spent more than 3 hours there. It's no picnic, friends. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nightbird said:

Keep in mind that the OP spent 5 hours at CW before he got his extension. I went last Wednesday, the height of madness, and I spent 6 hours there. At the worst of times, I have never spent more than 3 hours there. It's no picnic, friends. 

It would be really cool if they had those "call box" devices they use in the states for when you are waiting for a table at a restaurant. Then you could just go outside and wait for your light to blink to know they are ready for you inside.

A great report. Thankyou.

Nice to hear a positive post,,,,,getting a headache with all this Thai Immigration bashing

I too last retirement extension & multiple reentry spent less than an hour in CW

They put up with a lot of abuse & always remember, the person in front of you did not make the laws, the bureaucrats do.

Stay safe everybody

On 3/26/2020 at 11:33 AM, soi3eddie said:

06:30am - I was going to go grab a coffee in expectation of queue ticket allocations at 0800 but no. They opened the queue ticket counters then!

I got queue ticket L5 at 06:43am

What time are the Immigration Officers in the L (extensions) section actually starting to handle customers these days? And what time does the BKK CW office open its internal doors to the public in the morning now?

In the past, the BKK Immigration Office didn't even open its doors for business until 8 or 8:30 am... even though they were handing out queue line tickets outside in the atrium area much earlier starting around 6 am or so... And those weren't the actual queue tickets to see Immigration officers, but instead, just the ticket for holding your place in the outside queue line prior to opening.

10 hours ago, Kerouacaurus said:

You stated that tourist visa extensions are now made in Muang Thong Thani. Can anyone confirm this? Is it better to just go there straight?

Yes

Don't bother going to Chaeng Wattana. If you go there they will turn you away and tell you to the temporary office.

58 minutes ago, norbra said:

Were you required to show letter from your embassy?

Not needed for a one year extension application.

Only needed for special extensions for those that do not qualify for any other one.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Not needed for a one year extension application.

Only needed for special extensions for those that do not qualify for any other one.

Thanks UJ, having read many posts I was still unsure of this requirement