Pranburi

ThaiPauly

Hi folks

Has anyone any opinions on Pranburi?

I had a friend stay there recently and he said it was lovely.

Still stuck in burning CM right now but will be upping sticks once all this is over, even of I can't sell my house I will rent

Many thanks

My wife & I have stayed there a couple of times, and we enjoyed it. It was quiet and the people were friendly.  My impression is that you should have your own wheels in order to get around easily.  We aren't into the bar scene, but didn't notice much activity in that regard.

Good luck!

• Like 2

Pak Nam Pram is better, it's located on the beach. Has lotus 7/11 etc and only 10/15 minute drive to Pranburi. Quite a few expats with beach restaurants bars....although probably shut or restricted at present. House rentals from about 10k. Great breeze off the sea and popular with kite boarders....Hua Hin 30 minutes or so. Spent fair bit of time their visiting friends and always felt relaxed.

• Like 1

It's has a backwater feel, long may it stay that way. It's lost a lot of it's charm, with the coastal road, so my SO tells me. Originally the forest used to come down to the beach - she had a traditional Thai massage business there for a while. Tends to attract the more affluent.

• Like 2

Pranburi is a small town. There is nothing really much to do there. But if you are there visit the Thanarat Camp or the walking street market on Saturdays in front of the Railway station (the latter might be closed now due to the corona circus). You might consider to live at Pak Nam Pran which is a nice little fishing village with one of the biggest fishing ports on the coast. Go along the coastal road to Khao Kalok. Quiet and nice atmosphere...

• Like 2

My wife and I have lived a mile or so south of Pak Nam Pran since 2008.  Beach road is much improved with removal of the bamboo beach bars; widened with speed bumps; sea wall; and relaxed beaches.  Khao Kalock promontory is about one mile south.  Agree that kite surfing is popular with the area getting more Thai tourists than non-Thai tourists.  I agree with renting for a month to add up or subtract your personal pros and cons.  It is laid back.

CAPTION: Parasailing at beach near our house with Khao Kalock promontory in the background.

Terry

Parasailing at beach near our house.jpg

Edited by Fortean1
added photo caption
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

'ThaiPauly'-  my wife is 74 and I am 71 and we are stay at home folks.  I first came to Thailand in 1971 on R&R from Vietnam; and then a tour of duty at Camp Samae San (near U-Tapao) and up north at Phu Mu Signal Site (20 miles SSE of Mukdahan with Savannakhet- Laos across the Mekong River).  I worked in the old store and forward message switching and microwave site duties.  HHIO (Hua Hin Immigration Office) is a breeze with 90 days in 15 minutes and one year extensions in less than an hour.  Shopping in Hua Hin is good at Market Village (3 floor mall).  Nearby Pran Buri has a one story mall with the sole TESCO Lotus.  Railroad overpass completed south side of town and nearing completion north side which is the road from our house to the mall.  The Pran Buri Hospital is adequate for my wife's routine medical care.  I/we prefer the Bangkok Hospital in Hua Hin for advanced care.  My wife had a stroke in March 2017 and I had my gall bladder treated and removed in November.  Our military HMO (TRICARE) paid most of those bills.  On the minus side we share air pollution from rice field silage burning and the ubiquitous trash/litter burning.  Honeybees disappeared after we arrived in 2008 but lots of other stinging insects.  Local fruit and vegetables are plentiful although IMO low quality.  We can get better at our sister-in-law's house in Bangkok.  We have MAKRO in both Pran Buri and Cha-Am/Hua Hin; the latter has much more variety of foods for foreigners.  No Big C; Foodland; and such.  Stray dogs are not plentiful.  Terry