Marriage Affirmation. Timing.

markg

Hello, I read this fantastic post (mods consider pinning this) ttp://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=109586&hl=marriage%20in%20Thailand&st=0

with links (below) to the Uk embassy site for the affirmation of freedom to marry.

http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/F...d=1068717516870

So my situation is that I want to get married in July this year but i cant get up to Bangkok before then because of work. I cant get the affirmation done because it will take me a day to get there, 2 days waiting around for the paperwork, then a day to get back. 3 or 4 working days that i just aint got.

If i do the monk ceremony in july, then go up and get the affirmation in October and register it with the Amphur then, will that be a problem?

As a matter of interest, would the date of the wedding be entered in the Amphur books retrospectively? i.e. In October would they show me as having been married in July?

Is there a limit to how long you can wait between the religious ceremony and registering it at the amphur?

Is Bangkok really the only place UK nationals can do this. It's just a sodding affirmation. Couldnt this be done at the Uk consulate in Chiang Mai or at the honourary consulate in Phuket for example. It's not like anyone actually checks anything is it. Its a freakin affirmation - thats all. Going to bangers during none public holidays (thai or english) is a major pain in the arse for me when i live and work in Phuket

Thanks.

How long between ceremony and signing at Amphur?

Answer in Thai- "Up to you"

You can go to any amphur any time to get legally married and sign papers, you don't even need to have a ceremony if you dont want. But, we got married in May and attended the amphur in August and they wouldn't put the wedding date on the paper, the date that goes on the paper is the day you attend the amphur and sign the paper. I have heard some amphurs will back date the paper to the wedding date, but that is only hear say and when we tried to do that we were told no! So id go as close to the wedding day as possible if you want a similar date on the paper.

I got married earlier this year.

I took my affirmation to the Brit Embassy in BKK. I was told to collect the signed affirmation the next day.

On the day I went to the embassy I also went to a Translation Service a few hundred yards from the embassy. Their name is Master Class Translation. Tel 02651 4266. They were recommended by a member from Thai Visa.

At the translators, they got us to sign a few forms and told us we could go to the amphurs office the same day.

The amphur did his bit and gave us our marriage certificate. The amphur was quite happy to marry us without the affirmation as long as it would be given to him the next day.

The Translation company arranged for the affirmation to be collected from the Brit Embassy and delivered to the amphur the next day.

We went back to the translators the afternoon after we went to the amphur where we picked up all our documents that had been translated from Thai to English.

It was so easy. Total cost of translation service was 8800. This included translating all documents, marriage certificate, affirmation and all other papers. It also included amphurs costs, collection and delivery of affirmation and taxi to and from amphurs office.

We did the Buddhist bit last month.

All good stuff here guys and thanks for that.

Hopefully others will find it useful too.

Problem is that i may not be able to get up there in October either.

This is the problem with the Brit embassy doing so much in Bangkok. Why the heck dont they devolve a little and let other offices do some of the leg work!

Could someone explain the ceremony section? My understanding, it basically is a party with relatives....and the purpose is to acknowledge that in front of all the signficants.. the relationship between you is now man and wife.

Does this mean the pre-marital gift givine has taken place already.. or as always .. it depends..

cheers Mates

Could someone explain the ceremony section? My understanding, it basically is a party with relatives....and the purpose is to acknowledge that in front of all the signficants.. the relationship between you is now man and wife.

Does this mean the pre-marital gift givine has taken place already.. or as always .. it depends..

cheers Mates

Yes as i understand it, that is correct. The ceremony takes place in front of the monks, family, friends and village elders. The weddings that i have been to - this was the point when the money was given over to the brides family. Right there in front of the monks. You then have to go to the amphur to sign the papers which is what makes it legal in your home country.

Thats how i understand it anyway.

cheers Mates

Yes as i understand it, that is correct. The ceremony takes place in front of the monks, family, friends and village elders. The weddings that i have been to - this was the point when the money was given over to the brides family. Right there in front of the monks. You then have to go to the amphur to sign the papers which is what makes it legal in your home country.

Thats how i understand it anyway.

Also makes it LEGAL in Thailand.......the Party is just that...a party.-a hoolie-a knees UP...... :o

I have register my marriage in singapore wif my thai G/F and she is now legally my wife in singapore but im not sure do i have to do it in thailand or not. If yes, how am i going to do it and where?. I,ve heard tat u onli register your marriage once whether its in thailand or other country...dun know how true it is.

The big question is does she still consider single or married in thailand? Many thanks in advance for help!!

BTW im singaporean tats why i register my marriage in singapore.