age requirement to rent apartment

jctv1944

1 hour ago, jctv1944 said:

My ex thai girlfriend told me that apartments here in Chiang Mai will not rent to a farang if he is single and older than 70

my ex Thai girlfriend told me there is no point in talking to other Thai women.

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've heard that said about buying vehicles on a payment contract at age 70.....Probably because if the worse took place, the vehicles probably disappeared.....

Never heard it applied to renting.....

10 hours ago, jctv1944 said:

will not rent to a farang if he is single and older than 70 years old.

This is most likely a policy that landlords could choose and enforce if they wanted to.  It is likely that some have already done so.  But many, probably most have not.

It's up to the landlord.  Some buildings won't rent to foreigners of any age because they don't want to file TM30s and disclose that they have tenants.  These same building owners collect the rent as cash and probably aren't disclosing their full income on their tax returns.

Indeed, some landlords don't want to rent to single, older, foreign males because of concerns that they'll get sick and die in their units, but it isn't a "rule" in Chiang Mai.  Others specialize in older, foreign renters. Check out http://www.wellnessresidencechiangmai.com/  They specifically cater to older, foreign renters.  When I toured the place a few months ago, they proudly told me of just renting to a new tenant -- an 85 year old European man. 

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Change your name to Somchai on the lease agreement, you’ll be fine.... 

Somchai doesn't have blue eyes and blond hair.

Edited by EricTh

53 minutes ago, NancyL said:

It's up to the landlord.  Some buildings won't rent to foreigners of any age because they don't want to file TM30s and disclose that they have tenants.  These same building owners collect the rent as cash and probably aren't disclosing their full income on their tax returns.

Indeed, some landlords don't want to rent to single, older, foreign males because of concerns that they'll get sick and die in their units, but it isn't a "rule" in Chiang Mai.  Others specialize in older, foreign renters. Check out http://www.wellnessresidencechiangmai.com/  They specifically cater to older, foreign renters.  When I toured the place a few months ago, they proudly told me of just renting to a new tenant -- an 85 year old European man. 

Or they are afraid the old man might be shacking up with a young gal and having a baby.....

A Farrang friend returning from Vietnam and Cambodia (to Thailand) sent photos to me...."No Foreigners allowed" in restaurants , hotels etc. The 'Chinese virus' is now the 'Farrang virus'. It is comfortabe to blame the 'others'. Only the foolish remain where they are not wanted.  In North America, it is the Chinese (Asian appearing) virus. My ex Thai wife, (and friend) living in Canada, for nearly 20 years (in a small town) says people cross the street when she approaches. Thais avoid Caucasions, due to the 'virus'. Caucasions avoid Asians due to the virus. We simply ignore that we are all simply humans and are ultimately the same. I would not want to be in Thailand and request a visa extension.  Good luck to you all. 

2 minutes ago, Teak said:

A Farrang friend returning from Vietnam and Cambodia (to Thailand) sent photos to me...."No Foreigners allowed" in restaurants , hotels etc. The 'Chinese virus' is now the 'Farrang virus'. It is comfortabe to blame the 'others'. Only the foolish remain where they are not wanted.  In North America, it is the Chinese (Asian appearing) virus. My ex Thai wife, (and friend) living in Canada, for nearly 20 years (in a small town) says people cross the street when she approaches. Thais avoid Caucasions, due to the 'virus'. Caucasions avoid Asians due to the virus. We simply ignore that we are all simply humans and are ultimately the same. I would not want to be in Thailand and request a visa extension.  Good luck to you all. 

I was confronted by the neighbour the other day, that corona was the falang virus! Because the first one they know who died of it, came with bus from Bangkok, and was from Belgium. I just replied if she knew where Wuhan is, and who brought it to Thailand, and she cut me off, that now it was falang who spread it. 

Well, everyone was scared of me, and they looked angry at me, until I obeyed, and put a mask on. Now im okay. So just put a philty useless mask on, and you will be fine

46 minutes ago, Tagged said:

I was confronted by the neighbour the other day, that corona was the falang virus! Because the first one they know who died of it, came with bus from Bangkok, and was from Belgium. I just replied if she knew where Wuhan is, and who brought it to Thailand, and she cut me off, that now it was falang who spread it. 

Well, everyone was scared of me, and they looked angry at me, until I obeyed, and put a mask on. Now im okay. So just put a philty useless mask on, and you will be fine

This kind of propaganda and race-baiting is disgusting. At 1:00 there's a man sneezing. He looks like a foreigner. Other white people in the video also must be sick and spreading COVID-19, supposedly.
This only bolsters the idea that foreigners brought the disease here--which is pretty much true, really--and many of those foreigners were Chinese. Thai people returning from abroad most likely also contributed to the pandemic. But why feed into the anti-foreigner attitude that many more Thai are now embracing?
Maybe I'm over reacting, but can there be no footage of a Thai person sneezing?

5 minutes ago, MrBrad said:
This kind of propaganda and race-baiting is disgusting. At 1:00 there's a man sneezing. He looks like a foreigner. Other white people in the video also must be sick and spreading COVID-19, supposedly.
This only bolsters the idea that foreigners brought the disease here--which is pretty much true, really--and many of those foreigners were Chinese. Thai people returning from abroad most likely also contributed to the pandemic. But why feed into the anti-foreigner attitude that many more Thai are now embracing?
Maybe I'm over reacting, but can there be no footage of a Thai person sneezing?

Racism aimed at different people, races, and ethnic background is univerial. I see this in my home country as well. 

We can understand the pic when we see dirty drunk falang in the tourist areas, and it is easy to understand the anger, as we back home are angry at surten immigrants as well that do not fit in our system and our culture. What one do, harm the ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,