Wii In Thailand?

themax

hi there. I was wondering is the Nintendo Wii was readily available for purchase in Bangkok, and if so, at what price. What about games, are they readily available in Pantip, or must i get them originally for full price?

Just wondering, hope someone can give me some info.

thanks!

I just checked last week. The Japanese Wii, with a modchip, can be had for 13,500 baht in Chinatown. This includes the adapter to change the voltage. This version can play all NTSC games (US/Jap) games, copied and original, and has Japanese system menus (the game menu language will depend on where the game is intended for). The US version, which is around 2k baht more, comes with the original Wii sports and has English system menus, otherwise it's the same thing. Copied games are around 50 baht.

The Nintendo DS (which I bought) is around 5,400 for the system itself, another 1,300 for the R4 (to play ROMs) and another 370 baht for a 1GB Kingston microSD card (you should buy these at IT centers, they're much cheaper there). Tons of easily downloadable games. This is the Asian version, which already has a 220V adapter. Although the DS can accept GBA cartridges, the R4 can't take GBA ROMs directly. Will play MP3s, Jpegs, and converted videos.

I just checked last week. The Japanese Wii, with a modchip, can be had for 13,500 baht in Chinatown. This includes the adapter to change the voltage. This version can play all NTSC games (US/Jap) games, copied and original, and has Japanese system menus (the game menu language will depend on where the game is intended for). The US version, which is around 2k baht more, comes with the original Wii sports and has English system menus, otherwise it's the same thing. Copied games are around 50 baht.

The Nintendo DS (which I bought) is around 5,400 for the system itself, another 1,300 for the R4 (to play ROMs) and another 370 baht for a 1GB Kingston microSD card (you should buy these at IT centers, they're much cheaper there). Tons of easily downloadable games. This is the Asian version, which already has a 220V adapter. Although the DS can accept GBA cartridges, the R4 can't take GBA ROMs directly. Will play MP3s, Jpegs, and converted videos.

thanks alot for the info.

do you know if its possible to just get the chip installed if i alreday have it. believe it or not, i think i can get it cheaper if i buy a Wii here in Europe, order a mod chip, bring it to thailand (where i am moving later this year) and either install it myself, or get them to install the chip for me. you say copied games are 50 baht. is that in Pantip, or are there other places like it?

thanks for the help.

I just paid 18,500 for the US version in Pattaya (the Japanese version was 14,500). Obviously I should have made the trip to Bangkok! Whatever, it is in an incredibly clever and fun piece of kit. We bought all the highest rated games to play on it, but have yet to move away from Wii Sports. The sight of my wife furiously boxing the air in front of the TV had me on the floor laughing! Great social entertainment.

I've had to buy 2 Wii's as the wife and her friends are never off Wii sports. She even uses it as exercise (sod that!). Going to leave this Wii unchipped just in case Nintendo finds a way to disable the chips

Bought my 2nd Wii already chipped and it's just for my use. Got Super Paper Mario today and am having a blast with it

Just wish the graphics were a tad better and that more games had widescreen support

Some of the games aren't even in widescreen? I thought they were all 480P, thats a bit of a let down.

I'm afraid that quite a few games only have 480i in 4:3

I'm sure as time goes on this will change though

Fellas:

Has anyone finished Zelda:Twilight Princess? Talk about investing time. While Wii Sports is cute, it is games like Zelda that make Nintendo. I haven't been too happy with some of the releases for the Wii and I can see why Wii Sports is still popular and popular with new gamers. New gamers will like this style of play who know nothing about Nintendo and the Nintendo characters. But, true gamers will be all over Zelda, Mario, Super Smash, Pokemon, and Metroid Prime. I even read that Turok will be coming to the Wii. In fact, I wish it came out on the VC Console. The original Turok, Dinosaur Hunter for the N64. Have any of you used the VC? I already downloaded several games. The first Zelda. Incredibly difficult. If any of you have never played Zelda: Ocarina of Time, download that one now. Probably in the top 3 video games ever made. Also, Super Mario Bros is downloadable. I hope Goldeneye gets to the VC soon.

However, I have to say that the DS Lite gets more play than my Wii. More games, more variety, more fun. The online play is awesome. I wish the Wii was more online. I still play many of the Gamecube games with the Wii. Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Animal Crossing, RE4, Metroids, Eternal Darkness still get lots of action. Some games are awful on the Wii. Tiger Woods Golf for the Wii was not accurate. Wario Ware was fair. Rayman was OK. Super Monkey was a dissapointment. In fact, I have to say that Wii Sports and Zelda are the only 2 games worth getting now. Yea, I know the good games are coming. Paper Mario is my next purchase.

Not interested in modding my Wii. Ill pay the full price and get the instruction booklet and case. As someone else said, Nintendo probably will come up with a way to know if your Wii is modded. Best not use the Wi fi then as they might give your Wii a virus! No pun intended.

Keep Gaming

Turok

what about the WiiShop channel, and the Weather channel? are they active and accurate? i emailed nintendo, asking them a few questions about the wii in thailand compared to europe, and they told me i might have difficulty accessing the Wiishop channel, and that the weather channel might be centered on europe. Have any of you found this to be true?

My Wii(s) are US models and so the weather channel is centred on the US but can scroll it manually to Thailand but too be honest I never use it

As for Wii shop I'd need either a US credit card or US Wii points card (even the Wii cards are region coded) so I've not been able to buy anything

well I went and bought a Wii from saphan lek this afternoon - 14800 for the modded US version

Wii sports is getting a workout right now , everyone loves the Wii mote for controlling.

apart from Wii sports , I got Need for Speed - carbon , Zelda and splinter cell.

I am will get it connected through my wifi router and then maybe play some online games.

has anyone got any recommended games for playing with others over the internet ?

Fellas:

I have USA Wii. I have all the channels and have never had a problem downloading. Downloaded many old games. I registered the Wii in the USA. Have a credit card so getting Wii points is simple. Downloaded old school Galaga yesterday. Have all the original MArio games. And some old school Zelda. All these games go way back! Weather channel works as well as the internet browser and Everybody Votes. I never had a problem with the Wifi. Use Loxinfo.

IanB - Eternal Darkness was a freaky game. It did test your own sanity. It was really well done.

I do not know of any online Wii games yet that are worthwhile. Wait for Super Smash Bros Brawl. The DS is better online.

Gamecube Goodies - Beyond Good and Evil, Prince of Persia Sands of Time, Donkey Konga, TimeSplitters2, Viewtiful Joe - Still have them all in original boxes. Some of these new gamers who only know the Wii are missing out on some Nintendo classics.

N64 Nostalgia - Banjo Kazooie, Goldeneye, Zelda OOT, SuperMario 64, Perfect Dark, Diddy Kong Racing

Turok

For prices, this is the website of a shop at Chinatown (right at Saphan Lek "Iron Bridge"). It's in Thai, but you should be able to make out the numbers and names. The prices maybe be slightly more expensive than normal Chinatown, but not by much.

http://www.super-rich.com/home.asp

To answer stunmonster:

The modchip allows you to play copied games, and to play games from other regions. It might have problems with different TV systems (NTSC/PAL).

The US version, if bought in Chinatown or MBK or whatever, will have a modchip.

Prices, check the website above.

• 2 months later...

I was reading this thread as I am interested in buying a Wii.

AS this last post is a couple of months old now I was hoping someone could help me with an update - things change quite quickly in this area.

I am not a long term 'gamer', but fancied the idea of the Sports games to play with the family. Mainly my wife at first. That would no doubt lead us into trying and buying more games.

So could you please tell me what's the latest thinking on where is the best place to buy a Wii, that is 'legal' and with all correct manuals etc... I have been through the 'chipping' route before for DVD's and dont want all that hassle again.

I live in Pattaya, but could go up to Bangkok to get one.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

edit: the wesite Friefox mentions has the US version for 15,500 Baht. Would that play OK in Thailand or will it need additional kit - ie to 220 volts etc... Does it still have the Mod chip ? Or is it standard US build?

Edited by dsfbrit

Those are the chipped versions, although you could probably ask for a nonchipped one, which will be a few hundred baht cheaper. They do come with a 220V adapter. The US version will only play US games, and the Japanese version will play only Japanese games. A chipped one (of any country) will play all games, but might have compatibility problems with games from a different TV system (ie, PAL/NTSC, but most games are NTSC and so will work with chipped US/Japanese Wiis). You would have more chance of finding a nonchipped one at Chinatown or MBK.

It's still very very hard to find a Wii in normal US retail channels (like Best Buy and other stores) or normal online stores, where the system itself would sell for only $250. Of course, it's much easier to find on Ebay... where the bare system would sell for $350+. That's probably because the Ebayers are the ones responsible for making the Wii scarce on the retail market. In Chinatown and MBK it's fairly easy to find, but of course not at $250.

Thanks for the info Firefoxx.

I noticed when I was googling around there were a lot of Ebayers selling them at increased prices.

If I were to buy the chipped one, then would it cause me major problems down the road do you think? I will be playing on:

- Pal TV

- 220/240 volts

- Will buy games in Thailand

and need the instructions in English (hey American will do I guess :o )

Thanks again for your help.

Edited by dsfbrit

I don't think there would be any major problems, but then again maybe there could. I saw a chipped Wii connecting without any problems to the Wii online network, but who knows, perhaps they might do like MS and ban chipped machines later on if they can find a way to detect them.

Pal: Both Japanese and US versions are NTSC, but then again most modern TVs will accept NTSC signals, as long as it's not a broadcast RF TV signal.

220/240V: Again, both Japanese and US are 110V, but the shop will usually provide either a solution (adapter or whatever) in the package.

Games in Thailand: Both Jap/US original and copied games are sold here.

Instructions: The US version will have US manuals and US menus, the Japanese version will have Jap/Jap. Games themselves will be limited to the region (US->US, Jap->Jap) if it's not chipped, and unlimited if chipped. For chipped, the game will use its own language regardless of the Wii language.

im also wondering about the prices of these wii games in MBK.

WarioWare:Smooth Moves?

Legend Of Zelda:Twilight Princess?

Super Paper Mario?

Pokemon Battle Revolution?(not sure if its even out yet)

picked up USA version in chinatown for 15k. extra handset + nanchuk for 2.5k. 1.1k for all the extras like steering wheel, tennis racket, gold club etc.

The power supply didnt work (the only thing we didnt test in the shop !). He had given me his mobile number, i called him, went back and he changed it with no quibbles. excellent service, excellent English.

hey for the R4.. once you have the mini SD how do you put roms on your self? need a reader via usb to connect to your comp? My friend takes his in and buys games that are put on the card for him, its cheap but if its avoidable thats a bonus. mini sd cards would be cheap at say pantip ? ( as long as being bought seperate from the r4 )

Hey so copying and playing wii games is a green light ? anyone here buy copied games?? I got a ps2 which (obviously) is great for the copied games etc, cept for the laser dying fairly quick, but that happens in non modded ones anyway... but so is wii like xbox/360, games avail but harder to find then say ps2 stuff? Where in china town is all this ? also any ideas about mbk pantip having the copied games? are they legit or what, do you miss out ? I can just pick a wii up (for cheap) before i head back to bkk but if i can get a modded one here i can just make up the over pricing buy stocking up on copied games.

also can someone shed light on my r4 question in the previous post?

thanks

For the R4, you just need to copy the roms to the card. Nothing fancy. The card has to have the proper "moonshell" files and directories on it (do a search for the latest, or copy the files from the R4 setup disc). The R4 comes with a USB micro-SD card reader, so you don't need one. Micro-SD cards will come with a SD adapter for reading/writing on normal card readers.

A 1GB microSD card should cost around 300-500 baht, while a 2GB card costs around 900 baht. I haven't seen anything bigger sold here. You can get the games off the web (torrent or other place) or at the various game stores. They're not that big, the biggest ROM is around 128MB, less when zipped. As to where to buy, Hardware House usually has the microSD's for fairly cheap.

As said before, the Wii with a modchip has no problems with copied games. However, the prices are a bit of a ripoff now, since the US Wii should cost only around 8,000 baht *with* the chip ($250+chip). Of course, it's nigh impossible to find a Wii in the US at any retail place, at retail price.

wow excellent news about the wii and R4, sorry but where is hardware house ? or would places at major shopping centres, paragon/siam square/central world have realisticly priced mini sd cards?

I wonder if i could bring over a wii (from canada) and get them to chip it.. although your right, i havent been home long, just a few weeks and all stores i've been to have been sold out. At least buying extra nunchuk and stuff here would be cheaper.

Thanks for the help, excited about new ds games, animal crossing is getting old lol