Diving Near Bangkok

sgunn65

Hi

I will be moving to live in Bkk this year. We would like to buy a weekend home somewhere within 4 hours drive. Is there any decent diving this close to Bkk. I have dived off Pattaya and thought it average.

Or would I be better off using the money to fly down to Phuket regularly??

I am also looking for a recommended diving shop in Bkk

Thanks

Si

fly to Phuket or Samui depending on the time of year

is the diving shop required to purchase items or the diving itself?

Hi

The shop is required to kit my wife out as she has just passed her PADI. From what I have seen diving gear seems to be the same price in Thailand as the Uk. Is that your experience?

Si

Hi, first there is a small diving section on the 4th floor in central world but for choice you would be better going to Phuket, Samuai, Tao etc. As for diving near BKK the closest is Pattaya but as you said it tends to be very murky. The nearest to drive is Koh talu near Bang Sapan. The quikest way to good diving is to fly down to Surat Thani from BKK then either taxi to Chumphon and dive there or catch the ferry to Koh Tao. Other way is to make a holiday of it and spend 5-7 days somewhere. Ranong is prety good now. :o

The quikest way to good diving is to fly down to Surat Thani from BKK then either taxi to Chumphon and dive there or catch the ferry to Koh Tao.
If you fly anyway, you might as well get good diving. And that means the Andaman Sea, not the Gulf.

For wreck diving though Pattaya is an excellent choice.

the trident out of tao is getting some really good wreck now. mainly WWII stuff with all brass intact :D

last one I was on with them the upper side of the wreck had 30 odd port holes, all with glass intact just waiting to be "rescued" :o

then again, most of the stuff they do is in the 50 to 70 meter range so not everyones cup of tea