Cambodia blocks planned return of 150 Cambodians from Malaysia

geovalin

PHNOM PENH (Kyodo) -- Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen said Tuesday that he decided to deny the re-entry of 150 workers planning to return to Cambodia from Malaysia amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Speaking at a press conference on COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus, Hun Sen said, for the safety of the country's population of 15 million, he has decided to turn down the planned return on Tuesday of the Cambodians, who have been working in Malaysia.

He said most of the nation's confirmed cases have been imported from foreign countries, including by people coming from Malaysia who had attended a religious event there.

read more https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20200407/p2g/00m/0in/074000c

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fuzzie said:

If they where of high standing, they would be allowed in, Unfortunatly it seems they are not, Hence not allowed......

Please inform us , what are the high standing requirements for  Cambodia.

• Like 1

Well done the Cambodian Government - unlike the Thai Government and one of its Generals who allowed in many potential virus infected Thais at Suvarnabhumi Airport in fear of a riot! Please bear in mind that many Khmer people DO NOT WANT their family members returning from abroad in case they infect their elderly parents - I know, I live here!

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

14 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Well done the Cambodian Government - unlike the Thai Government and one of its Generals who allowed in many potential virus infected Thais at Suvarnabhumi Airport in fear of a riot! Please bear in mind that many Khmer people DO NOT WANT their family members returning from abroad in case they infect their elderly parents - I know, I live here!

So what? Then quarantine them. But they are happy enough for them to send over money the whole time...Where are those supposed to go? They have zero money to stay in Thailand. 

It's an absolute no-go to not take your own citizens back. 

The right to return is a real thing and in every international convention for a reason. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

So what? Then quarantine them. But they are happy enough for them to send over money the whole time...Where are those supposed to go? They have zero money to stay in Thailand. 

It's an absolute no-go to not take your own citizens back. 

The right to return is a real thing and in every international convention for a reason. 

Perhaps so, but I have my own views on this issue.