Video: "Tornado" hits Chonburi! Trucker tosses his lunch aside and shuts his eyes in terror!

webfact

Video: "Tornado" hits Chonburi! Trucker tosses his lunch aside and shuts his eyes in terror!

1pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Mobile phone and footage from CCTV showed the moments when what looked like a mini-tornado swept through the parking lot of the municipal offices in Surasak sub-district of Si Racha yesterday. 

The unexpected event uprooted and snapped a 12 meter advertising hoarding that fell on the cab of an 18 wheel truck. A nearby Isuzu pick-up was also damaged.

1pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Trucker Sunthorn said he had stopped for lunch and was eating it in his cab. 

He had no warning, suddenly the cab was caving in, he threw his lunch aside, shut his eyes and hoped for the best. 

He said he was very lucky not to be injured.

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-04-14

2 hours ago, kenk24 said:

not sure I ever remember hearing about a tornado in Thailand

I have seen several whirlwinds, we called them dust devils.  Once I saw 3 of them at the same time.  I have never seen a really large one but they can get larger.  I have seen a couple forming out over the ocean but not reaching the ground.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rwill said:

I have seen several whirlwinds, we called them dust devils.  Once I saw 3 of them at the same time.  I have never seen a really large one but they can get larger.  I have seen a couple forming out over the ocean but not reaching the ground.

Yes; tornados are a specific weather event. 

1 hour ago, Curt1591 said:

Yes; tornados are a specific weather event. 

Nothing more than a dust devil. I have seen thousands of them. They wouldn't know a tornado if they saw one. If it is over the water it is a water spout not a tornado. With the wonderful construction here a puff of wind would blow stuff over.

TEXAS Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rwill said:

I have seen a couple forming out over the ocean but not reaching the ground.

The net is full of images and videos of "waterspouts" on Thai waters.

(Pattaya, Krabi, Phuket, Ko Lipe, ....).

https://www.google.com/search?q=waterspout+thailand&source=lnms&tbm=isch

https://www.google.com/search?q=waterspout+pattaya&tbm=isch

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, cdavid10 said:

Nothing more than a dust devil. I have seen thousands of them. They wouldn't know a tornado if they saw one. If it is over the water it is a water spout not a tornado. With the wonderful construction here a puff of wind would blow stuff over.

TEXAS Dave

It didn't even seem to blow the motorcycle guy down... surely Dorothy is still in Kansas..

That's a dust devil alright. Seen many in the middle east. The Arabs call them 'jinn' (devil) which is probably how they got their western name.

We had one rip through our mooban in Udon Thani when we lived there. It was a pretty scary few minutes.