Available COVID-19 Tests

mackayae

Why does he want a 5th test?

This was shared on FB:

COVID 19 testing experience at Chula Hospital (King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital)

Since there are many news stories and theories going around the internet about the virus, I think it might be good to share my experience at the hospital testing for COVID19 so you guys are more informed. 

There are around 18 hospitals that can test COVID in Bangkok at the moment. I called a few and ended up choosing Chula because it's on the cheaper end.

Chula is one of the biggest hospitals in Thailand. If you are lost, just ask for the COVID building and people will know where to take you.

During the screening process, they asked me a lot of questions to assess my risk level. In my case, I have all the symptoms + hangout with people that just got back from Japan. 

The first screening cost 200thb+. Then the next step is a chest x-ray which cost me 1050thb. 

After the x-ray, I got to see the doctor where she asked a lot more questions. I wasn't super sick but still wanted to take the actual covid test so I needed to pay myself for a swab test. This step cost 2500thb. If you are super sick or fit the risky profile, the swab test will be free. This test involves getting the back of your throat and inside of your nose swabbed for the virus and tested by the lab.

After that you can go home and they will call/email you the result in a day or two. 

The hospital was not really busy and everyone seemed to know what they were doing.

So the whole thing was 3550thb or around 120USD. It was super fast and accessible if you are in BKK. 

Feel free to leave a question, I'll try to answer what I know. King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital

Note that it might cost a few hundred THB more for foreigners. 
When I called, they said it could cost 3-6K THB. And here are prices from other hospitals that I know of

Bangkok hospital: 25k
Paolo and Prayathai 2: around 5k-6.5k. 
Praram 9: 8k-12k.
Vichaiyuth: around 10k+ but free if you fit the risky profile

I'm not 100% sure of the foreigners price, prob should check directly with the hospital if you wanna go in.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, bubba said:

Does anyone know whether testing for SARS-CoV-2 antibodies is available yet anywhere in Thailand? 

Since the test is not commercially available anywhere else in the World, it is not available in Thailand. That said, it is not impossible, in theory, for a high-level lab to do a serum test for antibodies. However, that would cost a lot and you would have to wait some time, if they would allow it at all. I would imagine that lab capacity is completely used up right now.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Proboscis said:

Since the test is not commercially available anywhere else in the World, it is not available in Thailand. That said, it is not impossible, in theory, for a high-level lab to do a serum test for antibodies. However, that would cost a lot and you would have to wait some time, if they would allow it at all. I would imagine that lab capacity is completely used up right now.

https://preview.mailerlite.com/j1n8q0/1393119062061486333/g9e3

This test is available for 2,000 baht in Bangkok. 

They claim it is an anti-body test. Fake Chinese marketing or real?

IMG-20200410-WA0003.jpg

15 hours ago, Max69xl said:

And 5 tests were needed? I hardly doubt that. 

As long as his tests give positive results he has to do more tests until he gets a negative result. With some infected persons it takes longer than with others to get the SARS-CoV-2 out of the system.

You can volunteer to take part in the investigation of how widely SARS-COV-2 is present in the most at-risk parts of the population in Pattaya. If accepted, the test is free. They're using the LAMP detection test.

Not much use to people in BKK, I know, but folk down here looking for a free test might be interested.