Recent experience of spouse visa extension at Chaeng Wattana compared with Chiang Mai

I recently moved from Chiang Mai to Bangkok so had to do my latest spouse visa extension at Chaeng Wattana.

I have attached a list of the documents I needed, and some differences between the two offices. As some may know, the list changes every year and with every officer you speak to, so this is just a guide.

The amusing? thing for me was the insistence on our landlord supplying a document to prove his ownership of the house we are renting. Never required at Chiang Mai. Also wanted a letter explaining why I had moved from Chiang Mai to Bangkok as previous extension done there.

They only wanted a map on plain paper, Chiang Mai insisted it was done on their form. Also CW supplied the overstay etc forms which I signed at the desk.

Each time I had to return to the office they wanted a same day transaction, update and photocopy of the bank balance, and told me when I return after the "Under Consideration" period of one month, I will have to show balance, again I presume over 400,000 baht. When I returned the first time they were good enough, after I showed my previous queue number, to allow me to jump in without queueing again, but I wouldn't bank on it.

They are well prepared for the COVID situation, queueing with social isolation from 7am onwards, queue numbers issued at 8am then led in lines to the office, but please note some banks not open to issue balance letters there, eg SCB, but Bangkok Bank seemed to be open as usual and the Passbook update machine worked fine. 

Any questions please ask.

DOCUMENTS FOR THAI SPOUSE VISA 2020 for ThaiVisa.docx

10 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

The amusing? thing for me was the insistence on our landlord supplying a document to prove his ownership of the house we are renting.

Thank you for reporting this.  I was not aware CW was using the "landlord docs" trick to block legitimate extensions - though some other offices have (including to me - Jomtien).  I am glad your landlord was in the country, and willing to provide this information.

One would think Immigration's job was to determine if we are married + living together with our Thai wives/families - to be verified with a home visit.  What does a landlord's business have to do with that?  They have our signed rental-contract and a map to come visit.  What is the purpose of demanding anything else about a rental?  Why don't they want us to be able to stay and support our families?

Edited by JackThompson

My experience this past month at CM Immigration was not quite the same as you have described.  Attached is a list of the CMI requirements provided in Dec/Jan by the IO.  Note that item 12 requires submittal of copies of the lease agreement, owner ID, House Registration, and rented house book (whatever that may be).  As for item 20, a copy of the last 90 day report is not required.  Also, the required Kor Ror documentation is dependent on whether one was married in Thailand or outside the Kingdom.  It's best, IMO, to visit your local Immigration Office and get a written list of their requirements well in advance of preparing for submitting your extension of stay.

IMM REQTS FOR EOS BASED ON MARRIAGE (ENG).jpeg

And I should add that this was my first year of applying for my annual extension of stay based on marriage. My prior years I applied for extensions of stays based on retirement. I originally entered Thailand in 2012 on an Non IMM O-A visa based on retirement. 

I know it's a different office but here i the list for Si Racha Immigration (February 2020), in the original Thai as given and a translated version. The person who did the translation didn't translate sections 10, 11 for me because they were for rented accommodation and we have our own house.

It appears to be (almost) the same as CW and CM. Maybe all offices are supplying the same list now. Thay only leaves each IO's different interpretation of each instruction to contend with.????

I understand Jomtien supply the same document as Si Racha because they are both part of Chonburi Immigration.

2. Marriage ext docs Eng -Si Racha.pdf

.1. Marriage ext req docs Thai-Si Racha Dec 19.pdf

Edited by john terry1001