Changing from marriage visa to retirement

OK, I have been asked by a friend, he entered Thailand on a retirement visa, changed it to a marriage visa (neither were an extension)  if he changes back to retirement through an agent will he need insurance ?, i have told him no, but would like to make sure.  One more question are there any  good agents in Korat?

51 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If he entered using a non-o visa to get the permit stay he will be extending no insurance will be needed. If he used a Non-OA visa for entry insurance would be required.

Sorry i forgot to mention he got the marriage visa in Thailand, has not left now wants to revert to retirement

On 5/2/2020 at 8:23 AM, fishtank said:

Cannot get a Marriage Visa in Thailand.

He probably has an extension of stay.

Just change the reason to retirement extension next time round.

Your first statement is not correct.

One can apply for a 90-day Non Imm O - marriage Visa at a local IO.  On issue the Visa is immediately voided, and you are expected then to apply in the last month of the 90-day permission to stay to apply for a 1-year extension of stay based on that original Visa.

This gives you enough time to meet the 2 month seasoning requirement for the financials to be proven when applying for the 1-year extension of stay (400K using the money-in-bank method or monthly-transfers of 40K).

Edited by Peter Denis

>> I PM-ed you a comprehensive guideline containing all details/options to apply for a Non Imm O - retirement Visa (and subsequent extension).

Your friend can apply for such a Visa in his home-country, neighboring country or at his local IO (the requirements are different for each option).

Note: When he is presently on a 1-year extension of stay based on an original Non Imm O - marriage Visa, he could have also opted not to change Visa type (which requires leaving the country) but to apply for his next 1-year extension of stay for reason of retirement.  However, the financial requirements to do so when using the money-in-bank or monthly-transfer method imply that he would have started with meeting the retirement extension requirements from the moment he got his 1-year extension of stay based on this marriage Visa (because 12 months compliance needs to be proven), which is not very likely he has done that.  However, if he is not a UK, US or Australian citizen, he could apply using the embassy-issued letter based on his pension statement (if that pension is over 65K a month).

21 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Your first statement is not correct.

It think he was referring to the incorrect wording "marriage visa". Try to find one listed on a embassy, consulate, the MFA or immigration website.

You can apply for a non-o visa based upon marriage to a Thai.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2020 at 1:20 PM, brianthainess said:

Sorry i forgot to mention he got the marriage visa in Thailand, has not left now wants to revert to retirement

I believe your friend has indeed extended his permission of stay based on marriage, which is a permit, not a Visa. He can change the reason for further extensions from marriage to retirement.

If he doesn't meet the financial requirements he could use an agent, but I would advise he proceeds with caution in that regard.

Some Immigration offices want to speak to the wife when changing.

On 5/4/2020 at 8:54 AM, Tanoshi said:

I believe your friend has indeed extended his permission of stay based on marriage, which is a permit, not a Visa. He can change the reason for further extensions from marriage to retirement.

If he doesn't meet the financial requirements he could use an agent, but I would advise he proceeds with caution in that regard.

Some Immigration offices want to speak to the wife when changing.

Chiang Mai Immi insist to see your (ex)wife.

Edited by hugocnx
  • Haha 1