How Will the Covid-19 Virus Affect University Students and Teachers Beginning This July?

I have seen recent reports that educators and policy makers in Thailand are preparing for teaching and learning via internet. They are preparing in order to begin internet-based classes.

What do we know about how this will work?

For example, will university campuses remain largely empty?

What changes will we see on campus and in the classroom?

Are teachers trained to teach online?

Importantly, do students have access to both fast computers and a fast-stable internet connection?

What about dormitory occupancy rates, and changes in these.  Why living in a dormitory when one need not be near a university, if classes are being taught online?

Will education suffer as a result of having classes taught online?

Too many unanswered questions?  Or, do educators know what they are doing?

The reason I posted and posed the question I did is this article I read in one of the online local news sources here in Thailand:

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/cv19-asia/cv19-thailand/schools-moving-classes-online-as-school-year-begins-july-1

"Schools moving classes online as school year begins July 1"

The article appeared May First of this year.

After searching on Google search, I am still unable to find much information about which universities might be affected, and the mechanics of how teaching online will work.

Anyone know the answers?

Here is one of the few articles/opinion pieces on the topic at hand that I have been able to find. Worth a read, perhaps:

https://opinion.bdnews24.com/2020/05/01/will-online-higher-education-be-the-new-normal-in-post-pandemic-bangladesh/

There writer of this piece is:

Sajedul Huqis an educator currently affiliated with Chiang Mai University, Thailand. He is the former Director, Center for Language Studies, University of Liberal Arts Bangladesh. He has been teaching at the tertiary level both in Bangladesh and Thailand for the past 20 years.

Edited by JohnBarleycorn

15 hours ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

Anyone know the answers?

All I've seen is a picture of him hunkered down over his computer with what looks like a shared page (other students in the heading) and a lesson on the main screen. He stays in an apartment/condo near school, so I depend on post to facebook.  Seems to be working, okay...

1 hour ago, bontang said:

May be suitable for higher education but for the rest.... It is hard enough to keep the attention of students in the 11 - 18 age group when they're in the classroom, not a hope online. As for the younger ones, especially in schools like the one I've been working at, I'm not sure their families would have the wherewithall to be able to afford laptops/PC's, cameras, headsets etc. even if the kids genuinely wanted to learn. Again, the rich few in power thinking everyone is in the same priveliged position they are and to hell with 90% of the population.

My son usually lives in a dormitory on site at the technical school where he studies. Because of the shutdown he is at home studying on line with his school. I wonder if the students and teachers were tested and free of the virus, why not continue as normal. They would be in isolation. Except for deliveries to the school and they could be controlled. Just a thought.

my wife teaches accounting and poli-sci at 2 universities in chaiyaphum province.  she was just informed that classes wont start until mid-july and could be delayed further. originally it was mid-may.    there is no online teaching capability in either of these schools.  her younger sister is in her final year studying education (teaching) in loeii province.  she was told august.   her student teaching was cancelled and no info when it can resume.  also no possibility of online classes at her school. 

On 5/3/2020 at 11:21 PM, daphnia88 said:

I'm also a university student, and for me personally, online learning works. However, teachers would need to learn how to communicate really well using written instructions, something many Thais, doesn't matter which profession, struggle with (it is related to the culture - too long to explain here). Lots of confusion otherwise.

true,

the main problem is thais professors dont know how to communicate or give directions

On 5/3/2020 at 11:21 PM, daphnia88 said:

I'm in a teacher's group on facebook, and there was a discussion there saying that students' grades are lower than usual since the online learning thing started. For younger students, the house is not a conducive place for learning. There are too many distractions, both from within their own homes or from other students taking part in the conference call (mic not muted). There are also students who NEED structure, and learning from home doesn't give that if their parents don't provide them with a structure in their daily lives. That can also cause trouble in concentrating, etc. And let's not forget the social aspect of school: where kids learn and develop social skills and figuring out their own identity. 

I'm also a university student, and for me personally, online learning works. However, teachers would need to learn how to communicate really well using written instructions, something many Thais, doesn't matter which profession, struggle with (it is related to the culture - too long to explain here). Lots of confusion otherwise. My university is also offering scholarships for students whose families are affected by COVID, but they would need to provide adequate financial proof. As for facilities, for the last 2 months, my uni hadn't provided any sort of support regarding internet connection, gadgets, etc. So it was up to us to provide our own internet connection and gadgets. Thankfully I have a reliable wifi and laptop, but some students have only their mobile phones. I don't know how they adapt. But then again, maybe they just don't care about the quality of <deleted> they submit since many students are so lazy and unmotivated. 

My uni plans on maintaining the online learning for the coming semesters in the foreseeable future. Maybe they will figure out a way to provide students with more services / facilities. I'll never know. But yes, I think it's safe to say that the campuses are ghost towns right now. 

For me, the challenge of studying from home during quarantine was the amount of work that needed to be done during a short period of time, and the lack of options for activities where we can unwind and recuperate. Usually, I would sit in class or work on projects from morning to early afternoon, then I'll go swim or meet friends, before going home to netflix. Now, there is only netflix. Which is not enough to get the mind refreshed and ready to work again.  Teachers need to understand this. 

For me, watching Netflix is extremely stressful, not stress-relieving.

I think that it is the wasting of time that I find discomforting.

When I am occupied in doing something productive, no matter what it might be, I feel positive and more energetic.

But when I give in to the temptation do nothing, such as is the case with watching Netflix, especially, it increases my paranoia, even worse than looking in my rear view mirror and seeing a police car.

So I try to keep occupied by installing a LAN network on my several computers, or English-Chinese translation which I can use to help students, or Thai language learning, baking bread once a week, volunteer teaching online but only to hardworking students who follow my teaching methodology, ......, you know, things like that.

Stay engaged in positive and productive activities, please.

Netflix is a bummer, for sure.

YES!, I too worry about those students in Thailand who do not have proper internet connections, computers, and interactive skills to learn online.  A phone is inadequate for students to learn online.  In this case the students need to find ways to teach themselves, either through independent study, or researching topics of interest.

Edited by JohnBarleycorn

• 1 month later...

My stepson goes to Thammasat University

He's been back at school since late April I believe, quarantined at the University Hospital for 2 weeks, 2 weeks isolation in his room, then resumed in-person classes mid May to complete the last semester.

He's back there yesterday for English classes and resumes his 2nd year on time in August