Marriage Extension (1yr) in Chiang Mai Immigration.

Couple questions to save a many wasted journy's.

Black and white or colour copies?

Reference the map? hand drawn or copied from a map app?

Does the wife have to attend?

Whats this I am hearing about a 2000 baht fee for them to do a house visit? Is that genuine? or just another scam?

Sorry guys, I have a list but as usual Immigration leaves many things off it, does seem to me that they do it on purpose just to mess people about !  But hey....

This is for CM Immigration plz, I understand they vary from place to place.

Thx.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, wildpikey said:

Thx fella, much appreciated..

I followed ubanjoes list when i changed to marriage at Jomtien ,no problems ,except a few minor things ,home visit was a doddle ,sat at the table and just chatted to the wife and our neighbour for 10 mins ,then off they went .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wildpikey said:

Whats this I am hearing about a 2000 baht fee for them to do a house visit? Is that genuine? or just another scam?

That "undocumented fee" is from this post (from a mod, no less) - he didn't say what office, but I'd be surprised if it was CM, or we would have more reports of it:

It does provide insight into the hell you will be put through, to stay here and support your Thai family. 

2 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

If you have kids then their birth certs may be required. But as we all say 'Each office asks for different things.' I know Buriram wanted to see them.

Yes - even if extending only based on a Thai wife, they make this extra document-request if you have children.

• Thanks 1

On 5/3/2020 at 8:44 AM, ubonjoe said:

Black and white copies at every office. Only photos need to be in color.

Hand drawn map.

You wife has to be with you when you apply.

No reports for them wanting money for the home visit.

Here is my general list of required documents and etc. Marriage Extension Requirements 2.pdf

Last week, at a Home Visit in Chiang Mai, the Police asked that the witnessing friend also come to the Immigration Office to sign some document.  No fee requested.

1 hour ago, peterpop said:

Last week, at a Home Visit in Chiang Mai, the Police asked that the witnessing friend also come to the Immigration Office to sign some document.  No fee requested.

At my initial application police brought a form with them for a neighbour to fill in and sign. One also suggested a Thb500 contribution for fuel for their pickup, but did not press the matter when I pointed out that the Immigration Office was only a longish walk away.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2020 at 9:16 AM, bert bloggs said:

I followed ubanjoes list when i changed to marriage at Jomtien ,no problems ,except a few minor things ,home visit was a doddle ,sat at the table and just chatted to the wife and our neighbour for 10 mins ,then off they went .

ps i needed extra documents as we were married in the UK ,that is the hardest part ,luckily i did most of it when on a visit to the UK . the translations etc here were no problem.

Could someone tell me please once the 400000 baht has been in 2 months i apply for the marriage visa when can i start to go below the 400000 is it straight away or not untill i recieve visa i will be doing at buriram office thanks

5 minutes ago, sateuk said:

Could someone tell me please once the 400000 baht has been in 2 months i apply for the marriage visa when can i start to go below the 400000 is it straight away or not untill i recieve visa i will be doing at buriram office thanks

I would recommend not until the visa has been granted (after the 30 day) to be sure.

I just did my marriage extension at CRI on a Bt40,000 per month coming from the UK into my thai bank account.   They also wanted to see Bt40,000 still in the account, even though I did my extension at the end of the month, so I had to go back to the bank and deposit monies to show Bt40,000 and get the necessary bank letters (again) done.   Immigration stated that this was what they now required.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Golden Brown said:

I just did my marriage extension at CRI on a Bt40,000 per month coming from the UK into my thai bank account.   They also wanted to see Bt40,000 still in the account, even though I did my extension at the end of the month, so I had to go back to the bank and deposit monies to show Bt40,000 and get the necessary bank letters (again) done.   Immigration stated that this was what they now required.

Thanks for the report - may prevent some decent folks from losing their extensions.  Good thing you had the money in the account, or they might have prevented you from supporting your Thai family with that "undocumented requirement.

You didn't use an agent (for 30K+ Baht most going into envelopes), so you get the "Dance Monkey, DANCE !!" treatment - to be able to stand by your Thai wife.  How disgusting. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sateuk said:

when can i start to go below the 400000 is it straight away or not untill i recieve visa i will be doing at buriram office thanks

As soon as you get that extension stamp in your passport. I use Buriram IO.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Maybole said:

One also suggested a Thb500 contribution for fuel for their pickup,

They tried that on me for the ferry, i told them it was you that wanted to come, i didn't invite you, then my dog picked up on my vibe and snapped at their ankles as they tried to get back in their pick up, GOOD GIRL !, i exclaimed :cheesy:  she came running back with an inane grin on her face then licked the cats face true story LMFAO. still makes me laugh when i recollect that moment.

Edited by brianthainess
added content.
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Thanks for the report - may prevent some decent folks from losing their extensions.  Good thing you had the money in the account, or they might have prevented you from supporting your Thai family with that "undocumented requirement.

You didn't use an agent (for 30K+ Baht most going into envelopes), so you get the "Dance Monkey, DANCE !!" treatment - to be able to stand by your Thai wife.  How disgusting. 

This is my favorite one on the list i was given.

copy.jpg.c94461c1bf9bf925fa3472ec67677e64.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/4/2020 at 12:48 PM, JackThompson said:

The whole set up seems to me to want you to use an agent............well they can go and continue to make me "Dance Monkey".   I did observe whilst waiting on Immigration to check my paper-work an agent acting on behalf of about 5 students doing their 90 day report hand over in an almost closed hand Bt1,000.   Total corruption!

• Like 1