Limited FCO financial support for stranded UK tourists

theoldgit

My flight back home was for late March, that was rescheduled for late April. Obviously those flights weren’t leaving. I don’t know if I’d been able to leave earlier but I chose to stay. There’s no way in the world I want to go back home at least until August and possibly beyond.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, champers said:

I think a lot of tourists are not necessarily stranded here.

Most of the so called "tourists" are not really tourists. They are losers in their home lands and fled to a foreign country to take refuge and try out their luck in Thailand. May be 50,000 chinese are real tourists. 

Edited by Mulambana
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Fairynuff said:

You have no idea of the circumstances of any of the people stranded (or not) and yet you label every one of them as without common sense. It would be common sense to understand that there can be all sorts of reasons why people weren’t able to leave in time

Totally agree - good to see the usual knowledgeable, charitable and caring TV members commenting.

2 hours ago, geisha said:

I do hope that if they get repatriation flights or any kind of financial help, from home or Thailand ( for ex) that they will have to pay it back.

You may note the word 'loan' in the OP!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eyup said:

And @Fairynuff  If you had followed the UK embassy in Thailand f/book page there has been plenty of opportunity to get back to the UK in the preceding several weeks. There are still flights albeit at a higher price than normal No excuse and no sympathy or bleeding heart  here. These people come on holiday with no money ???

Like I said....common sense would give you a different view

29 minutes ago, Mulambana said:

Most of the so called "tourists" are not really tourists. They are losers in their home lands and fled to a foreign country to take refuge and try out their luck in Thailand. May be 50,000 chinese are real tourists. 

Somebody forgot their meds

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, geisha said:

I do hope that if they get repatriation flights or any kind of financial help, from home or Thailand ( for ex) that they will have to pay it back. Tourists, practically everywhere in the world had plenty of chances to leave before the shut down. That they have no common sense, or an ‘ I do as I like  ‘ attitude, doesn’t exclude them from taking responsibility of their actions. 

Don't know about UK but some countries just debit your bank account to recover airfare for evac flight.

19 hours ago, Mulambana said:

I think you're confusing tourists with expats/longstayers. It's not the same thing. Chinese people still here are not stranded tourists on a 15 days VOA, they are longstayers with their own condos. Chinese tourists left in time. 

On 5/6/2020 at 2:07 PM, geisha said:

I do hope that if they get repatriation flights or any kind of financial help, from home or Thailand ( for ex) that they will have to pay it back. Tourists, practically everywhere in the world had plenty of chances to leave before the shut down. That they have no common sense, or an ‘ I do as I like  ‘ attitude, doesn’t exclude them from taking responsibility of their actions. 

You sir, are a miserable *******. And seriously lacking in common sense for making such a generalization!

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Has the useless UK government still not managed to organize repatriation flights for its citizens stranded abroad? Why provide handouts abroad instead of bringing them back?

It's citizens aren't "stranded".

There are flights home almost every day. Hence no repatriation flights.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2020 at 3:37 PM, geisha said:

Good point - because it is not actually FCO money but the British Taxpayer's money.

On 5/6/2020 at 6:07 PM, Mulambana said:

Wow that’s a hell of a remark please provide the evidence to justify your claim , maybe lockdown and the non sale of alcohol over the past weeks has had an adverse effect on your brain so much so they have ended up in your nether regions.

• Like 1