How will you cope when the kids return to school with Covid-19

4MyEgo

@Sheryl

I have a question of concern for farangs who have kids returning to school who might have some underlying conditions as I do. Are you concerned about the kids infecting you ?

I have added Sheryl in as she has a world of knowledge and might be able to answer my question, i.e. if the kids get infected with Covid-19 and bring it home, am I exposed with my underlying conditions, I mean from what I have read, it's pretty scary stuff hearing those with either obesity or underlying conditions and also the elderly are dropping like flies if infected with the virus, as are some younger children not to say we aren't concerned for our 6 year old, or the other children we have, but from what we have read, kids older than 9 stand a good chance of being ok, just like a normal flu ?

We have 4 kids, the youngest turns 6 years old next month, then we have a 10 year old and 16 year old twins and we are seriously considering holding them back for the new school year, although not wanting to rob them of their education.

I am 60 and and as mentioned have an underlying condition, plus one I think.

Background:

In June 2008, when I was 47 all of a sudden I had crushing chest pain after exerting myself, so I went to the emergency section of my local hospital at midnight back in the old country, and they called in a team and urgent angiography was performed with primary angioplasty being performed to the proximal left anterior descending artery.

The above sentence is going off the Cardiologists letter to my GP back then, as is the below sentence:

His cholesterol at the time was 6.3mmol/L, his pulse was 60pm and regular, his blood pressure was 130/80mmHg, his JVP was not elevated, heart sounds were normal with no added sounds. There was no peripheral oedema. His chest is clear. 

I was put on the usual medications straight after the procedure, e.g. 1 x Irbesartan 150mg, 1 x 100mg coated Aspirin, 1 x Atorvastatin 40mg, and Ezetimibe 10mg, the latter was added since about a year as my Cardiologist wanted my LDL Cholesterol to be under 2.0mmol/L as it was always like that at every fasting blood test in 2015, 2017 and 2018. As of October 2019 it was 1.2mmol/L due to the additional 10mg Ezetimibe tablet, my HDL was 1.7mmol/L and my Triglycerides 0.6 with my cholesterol being 3.2mmol/L.

I have had no recurrence since and, my BMI is in the normal range and my body fat is in the average range, I exercise about 3 times a week, nothing too strenuous, some cardio and or resistance training. I am also prediabetic.

Apologise for the long winded post, but would like some input to our dilemma of allowing the kids to return to school if the risk is not that great to me and our 6 year old, or should we go ahead with our thoughts and hold them all back.

Would also be interested to know what plans others have who have underlying conditions.

As usual, thanks in advance.

10 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

I have 2 youngsters and it doesn't bother me a single bit. Does that help?

Keyser - have you had a heart attack or could you be considered to be in a high-risk group?

There are two facets to the issue of kids returning to school while the risk SARS-CoV-19 virus transmission continues.

The first involves those Children in the high risk groups: Those who suffer from Diabetes, Asthma and other respiratory illnesses or those with a compromised immune response.

The second facet involves those Children who would return home from School to Parents and / or Carers who suffer from the same complications placing themselves in the high risk group.

The question above specifically regards whether or no the Op remains in a 'high-risk' group after receiving Angioplasty and while on medication, or specifically, if he were to contract Covid-19, would his health be critically compromised?

Its somewhat of an impossible answer.

• Like 1

I don't have kids, but I am a teacher at a school with 4000+ students in the, relatively, Covid-struck Deep South. I'll probably need to get used to teaching students not only wearing hijabs but also face masks. All the while wearing one myself too... 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

I have 2 youngsters and it doesn't bother me a single bit. Does that help?

Since you asked, it doesn't actually help, as you haven't addressed my question as it is seeking out farangs with underlying conditions, what you merely stated is your personal view on not being concerned about sending your kids back to school, each to their own.

The above said, you are obviously not in a high risk group as richard_smith237 explained so etiquettely. 

But thanks you for your input nevertheless....next ????

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MarcelV said:

I don't have kids, but I am a teacher at a school with 4000+ students in the, relatively, Covid-struck Deep South. I'll probably need to get used to teaching students not only wearing hijabs but also face masks. All the while wearing one myself too... 

Scary......

My wife just advised me that the school has sent her a message advising that the school is looking at doing home learning, that said, I would imagine the school must have some issues with kids returning, it's a Catholic school and I know there are a few older nuns there who would probably have some underlying conditions, that and they have preschool kindergarten with kids as young as 2, 3 and 4 starting school, I know that because we started our almost 6 year old there when she was 3 and would always get sick because parents wouldn't hold their kids back when sick, because they have to work, this didn't concern us, because she had to build an immune system, but Covid-19 is a different to say the least. 

The schools aren't opening for I think still a  month or more, and presumably that would be delayed if there were a new wave of cases.

At the moment community transmission in Thailand is minimal. Unless that changes I would not be concerned re COVID.

Much more risk of your kids infecting you with the seasonal flu (for which is starting to be the season) than with COVID.  Get a flu shot...and the pnuemococcal vaccines if you have nto already. .

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

At the moment community transmission in Thailand is minimal. Unless that changes I would not be concerned re COVID.

Much more risk of your kids infecting you with the seasonal flu (for which is starting to be the season) than with COVID.  Get a flu shot...and the pnuemococcal vaccines if you have nto already. .

I second that, good advice. 

• Thanks 1

I see the boys here playing soccer together for some time already, big groups. So if there would be an infection, they already had it and probably passed on to all of them already. By the time the schools open they will be through it, most likely not able to infect your kids or anyone.

Unless, of course, in your area they had been too much isolated, and had no chance to get exposed already. Then this does not apply.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Get a flu shot...and the pnuemococcal vaccines if you have nto already.

Thanks Sheryl, you have put me at ease for now.

I used to get the annual flu shot back in Australia, but haven't had any flu or pneumococcal vaccines since I have been here in 4.5 years.

Q1): Would they all be at the same time or different times, sorry for being so vague. 

Q2): Should they be done at the local doctors or a private hospital.

Not wanting to be a snob regarding public hospitals, but the wait if I was to get one there would outway the cost in time for me, so I would want to be in and out within half an hour, so to speak.

44 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Thanks Sheryl, you have put me at ease for now.

I used to get the annual flu shot back in Australia, but haven't had any flu or pneumococcal vaccines since I have been here in 4.5 years.

Q1): Would they all be at the same time or different times, sorry for being so vague. 

Q2): Should they be done at the local doctors or a private hospital.

Not wanting to be a snob regarding public hospitals, but the wait if I was to get one there would outway the cost in time for me, so I would want to be in and out within half an hour, so to speak.

1. The pneumonia vaccine is 2 injections of different types and a year or more apart. Can be given at same time as flu shot.  Normally given to people over age 65 but younger peopel with chronic health issues also. Flu vaccine in Thailand should be gotten in May.

2. Can be done anywhere that has the vaccines, public or private. If by *local doctors* you mean a small upcountry private practice, unlikely to have the vaccine. Private hospitals will.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

1. The pneumonia vaccine is 2 injections of different types and a year or more apart. Can be given at same time as flu shot.  Normally given to people over age 65 but younger peopel with chronic health issues also. Flu vaccine in Thailand should be gotten in May.

2. Can be done anywhere that has the vaccines, public or private. If by *local doctors* you mean a small upcountry private practice, unlikely to have the vaccine. Private hospitals will.

Many thanks again Sheryl

I will try the local GP as she has a clinic in the main town as she also works as the head of the main public hospitals children's section.

If she only has the flu shot and not the pneumonia vaccine, I will get it the flu hot there shortly, then get her to recommend where to get the Pneumonia shot and get my 2nd one in a year in Sydney as I will be there in May next year.

53 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The 2 pneumonia vaccines are Pneumovax 23  and  Prevnar 13. Prevnar 13 usually given first.

Actually looking it up, some countries have changed recs to PV23 only. Not sure about Australia. Discuss with your docotto  Here is the US CDC rec:

https://www.cdc.gov/pneumococcal/vaccination.html

Thanks Sheryl

Just Googled it, same, same in Australia

https://respiratorymedicinetoday.com.au/2019/june/feature-article/pneumococcal-disease-and-vaccination-recommendations-state-play

Depends a lot on the schools @4MyEgo

Do your kids go to the big capacity schools where they put everybody in the courtyard for the 8 AM anthem?

That's a practice that should go away by probably won't.

With 4 kids going out and about, yeah the contact is going to be sky high.

My (one) son goes to a smaller private school in Udon, his class size is about 18 kids so I'm not too worried about him going back, school has told us July 1 provisionally, I also don't have any health issues but am 62  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kwonitoy said:

Depends a lot on the schools @4MyEgo

Do your kids go to the big capacity schools where they put everybody in the courtyard for the 8 AM anthem?

That's a practice that should go away by probably won't.

With 4 kids going out and about, yeah the contact is going to be sky high.

My (one) son goes to a smaller private school in Udon, his class size is about 18 kids so I'm not too worried about him going back, school has told us July 1 provisionally, I also don't have any health issues but am 62  

Yes 8am in the sun/heat for an hour, absolutely ridiculous when they have an undercover area that they could put them under to sit.

We have been weighing up everything since we have been put in lockdown so to speak and it is starting to take its toll, albeit it is and has been what it has been for 4.5 years, and looks like we won't be getting the kids to go back to school.

I will get my flew shot and pneumonia shot as well as suggested by Sheryl and then look at returning to Sydney in November, 5 years here I think is enough and that will mean our plan B would have been brought forward 3 years, so Thailand will be a holiday destination as it was since 2005 and prior to 2015 when we moved here.

Take care, 62 is young, and as long as you don't have any underlying problems should be fine.

Thanks for your reply.

On 5/8/2020 at 9:59 PM, Sheryl said:

The schools aren't opening for I think still a  month or more, and presumably that would be delayed if there were a new wave of cases.

I can certainly attest to that situation, I live in the North and our under four year old goes to a non government school.

At the beginning of February I contracted Influenza A and then pneumonia in one lung.

That cleared up and then one of my daughter’s teachers came down with another strain of influenza which yours truly here contracted.

This is despite having the flu vaccine every year plus all the others available

30 minutes ago, Tosseroon said:

How much does a COVID-19 test cost?

im in UK but girlfriend says she needs 5000 baht for a test????

It is free for Thais if they meet the criteria for testing/test is recommended by doctor at her government hospital

Many Thai children have probably already been infected and are immune. But enough may still be carrying the virus to turn schools into super-spreaders once their gates are flung open.

This is a very real danger to high-risk elderly expats who share their lives and homes with school-age children and/or grandchildren. Could a hug from one of our young 'uns might put us in hospital - or even the morgue?

There is a way to ease these concerns.

With schools closed until July, there is plenty of time to organise testing stations to screen children on day one and at regular intervals thereafter. Parents of infected children need to be instructed on how best to safely quarantine their offspring. 

Edited by Krataiboy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tosseroon said:

How much does a COVID-19 test cost?

im in UK but girlfriend says she needs 5000 baht for a test????

Tell her she doesn't need one, no one else is getting tested, the numbers are low, I was at the Doctors today getting my flu shot, she said you know one needs to be tested, however if they feel sick they can ring the hospital and they will send there people around to test you.

I would think the cost is on the government, so keep that 5k in your pocket, alternatively get her to give you a receipt, no offence intended.

1 hour ago, Krataiboy said:

Parents of infected children need to be instructed on how best to safely quarantine their offspring. 

That is where the problem is, have you ever seen them stop them from going to school when they are sick, we see it all the time and they infect other kids with the flu or cold or whatever they have.

The principal told us that we were the only ones to hold back our kids and said she wished all parents would do the same, my reply being the school has the right to stop kids coming if they are sick, that is what schools do back in Australia.

Change the locks and bolt the windows....two of the brothers 2 of the sisters mama and papa pretty much moved in... some days are

better than others....

my kids in their 40s now weren’t difficult.. they knew when I was serious never had to spank them..... they knew pushing it was not

a good idea.. I just them the look.. it worked

16 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

That is where the problem is, have you ever seen them stop them from going to school when they are sick, we see it all the time and they infect other kids with the flu or cold or whatever they have.

The principal told us that we were the only ones to hold back our kids and said she wished all parents would do the same, my reply being the school has the right to stop kids coming if they are sick, that is what schools do back in Australia.

Agreed, but this is not a cold virus but a potentially lethal pathogen. Infected children sent home to quarantine will constitute a very real threat to the health of their parents and any elderly folk in the same household.

That is why is so important to test and retest in schools. Otherwise, parents will have no idea whether their child is bringing a potentially lethal disease into the house along with their homework, with potentially disastrous results.

Edited by Krataiboy
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Agreed, but this is not a cold virus but a potentially lethal pathogen. Infected children sent home to quarantine will constitute a very real threat to the health of their parents and any elderly folk in the same household.

That is why is so important to test and retest in schools. Otherwise, parents will have no idea whether their child is bringing a potentially lethal disease into the house along with their homework, with potentially disastrous results.

Agree, but how often are they to be tested, example, kids break for the day, go home, who visits, then you have the weekend, who do they play with, who has exposed themselves to them with Covid-19, then they return home, then to school on Monday, the circle of Covid-19 is just going to go around and around and around, unless you test everyday, which ain't gonna happen.

Her is something interesting that I saw today and made a new post in the Covid-19 forum, maybe a different area for the scientist community to look into with regard to drugs for Covid-19 ?

• Like 1

A large percentage of children need to become infected on the way to herd immunity, the surest and quickest way to see of a virus for which there is no vaccine.

Most members of the younger generations who become infected are likely to suffer only minor symptoms or none at all, whereas for elderly people COVID 19 can be a death sentence.

I am a "golden oldie" living with a much younger Thai wife and daughter. We need to know if and when our little girl is infected, so we can take precautions against her passing on the virus.

Regular school screening would be invaluable, also, for Thai families who routinely shelter several generations under one roof.

Interesting video, by the way. Looks like President Trump may have been right about hydroxychloroquine after all!

Edited by Krataiboy

Give it a go and watch the daily reports would be my advice. Right now we're down to pretty close to zero community infections a day, and there's no reason to believe it will jump to 10,000 overnight. It seems to me most likely that if there is to be a second wave it will be much like the first, which took a few weeks or so to build up. So pull the kids out of school if we get back up to a few dozen infections a day if you've reason to be particularly concerned, otherwise wait a bit longer and the government will probably shut them down again.

Edited by cocopops