Electricity consumption

SNUMAND

I have 1 air conditioning Mitsubishi GR24 / 22000 BTU On specifications writes. Capacity rated 6.6 KW / 1.8 to 7.2          Total input rated 1.78 / 0.33 to 2.15

How many watts is it on? What is the consumption per hour?

Spec states 6.6kw. 

Energy is measured in kilowatt hours ( KWh). 

So using your unit for a hour you would use 6.6kwh.  

To put in prospective, a normal air con unit average btu would use 1000kwh in 1 hour , and a double inverter new type would use between 500 and 600kwh per hour. 

So if your unit does what it says on the can then you're OK. 

A way to test is check you're meter, turn everything off, and run the unit for a hour, then check how many kwh you used. 

Or you can buy a smart plug from Lazada. 

• Like 1

Flat out (low temperature set) it will use around 2.2 kWh per hour. 

With a realistic set temperature (>26C) and assuming it's correctly sized for the room expect 30-50% of that.

Power is about 4.5 Baht per kWh on average.

Thanks for the answer. I am thinking of buying a generator of 5 KW or 5000W is it sufficient for a household with this air conditioning large new refrigerator, PC?

Edited by SNUMAND

A 5kVA generator will be marginal, these things are always over-specced, reckon on it being nearer 3.5-4 kVA in the real world.

Is the aircon an "inverter" type? Conventional units have a very large start-up surge (>4 times normal run current) which can cause problems for our low-end gensets, inverter units have a much "softer" start.

Our Kwai Thong 6kVA generator will start and run the 22,000 BTU inverter in the lounge but will only intermittently start the conventional 12,000 BTU unit in the bedroom (Madam is using this fact to pressure me into getting a new bedroom inverter A/C).

EDIT To clarify, it's the A/C that objects, the genset would likely be happy. I suspect it's the voltage dip when the compressor is started that causes the issue.

Fridge and PC no issue whatever (do use a UPS with the PC). Obviously it's not going to run your water heater so you'll need to sort some form of load-shedding for when you're on generator.

Which generator unit are you thinking of?

Just FWI:

After two attempts at the Global House locations in Udon Thani to buy a diesel generator, I gave up when they couldn't get them started.  Went to Do Home and bought a 6 KVA WELPRO gas generator for B27,000.  That easily handles an 18K BTU old style AC, a 11K BTU "inverter" along with all the other stuff that needs juice (it coughs a little when the microwave gets turned on though).  It's been working without a glitch for about a year now.

• Like 1

Another member pointed me at this Rowel unit.

At 28k Baht it's not the cheapest but does come with the necessary automatic transfer switch which makes it pretty good value https://www.europa.co.th/th/product/489968/เครื่องปั่นไฟเบนซิน-7-5-kw-rowel-8500ea

That site also has some very competitively priced silent diesel units too.  

4d62f931-7975-3ffc-b502-5db10d01a0f2.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Crossy said:

A 5kVA generator will be marginal, these things are always over-specced, reckon on it being nearer 3.5-4 kVA in the real world.

Is the aircon an "inverter" type? Conventional units have a very large start-up surge (>4 times normal run current) which can cause problems for our low-end gensets, inverter units have a much "softer" start.

Our Kwai Thong 6kVA generator will start and run the 22,000 BTU inverter in the lounge but will only intermittently start the conventional 12,000 BTU unit in the bedroom (Madam is using this fact to pressure me into getting a new bedroom inverter A/C).

EDIT To clarify, it's the A/C that objects, the genset would likely be happy. I suspect it's the voltage dip when the compressor is started that causes the issue.

Fridge and PC no issue whatever (do use a UPS with the PC). Obviously it's not going to run your water heater so you'll need to sort some form of load-shedding for when you're on generator.

Which generator unit are you thinking of?

Hey. It's an inverter Mitsubishi GR24FV 22000 BTU What's a UPS? I was thinking of buying a Welpro SC 6000 5.5 KW, can meet my need? Thanks