Non Im O Visa Extension from UK

This time last year I was lucky enough to be issued with a one year multi entry visa 90 days per visit. This was immediately before the E-Visa system was introduced. I think this visa isn't available any longer but in theory could I apply for an extension with the same conditions?

The London Embassy looks like it's closed of course so I'm not expecting anything to happen in a hurry. The visa expires on June 4th. 

I'm 61, £10,000 / 400,000 Baht in a UK bank. I'm not married to a Thai or have any Thai kids. My plan is to ultimately spend maybe 6 or 9 months of the year in Thailand. (I have a pre-existing medical condition and had a big claim on my holiday insurance last December but that's probably for another thread).

I think I already know what the answer might be to this one but putting out there to see if there is any way round this.

if on a 90 day entry you are ok til the 31st july, if the borders open before the actual visa expires then do a border run for a fresh 90 day entry

to get a one year extension you would need 800,000thb in a bank account in Thailand, for 2 months prior to the application or 65,000thb coming into your thai bank account monthly or a combination of both

no multi entry retirement visas being issued anymore

Edited by steve187

If you are her now and your 90 day entry is expiring you can stay until July 31st without needing to do anything at immigration.

You could apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement. But you need 800k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

I you want to stay longer than July 31st and the borders are open you could apply for single entry tourist visa that would allow a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days.

You can still get a single entry non-o visa at the embassy in London. I think you can still apply online and mail the visa application and your passport to get the visa issued.

Thanks for the advice. I'm still in UK unfortunately. All this is something I was expecting particularly given the current situation. I

t looks like my best bet is the 800k Baht route but I don't currently have a Thai bank account and it might be difficult to open one on a tourist visa or even the new single entry Non Im O visa. I guess it's a question of slogging around a few places in Bangkok or Chiang Mai until I find a friendly member of staff.

There are a few moans on here about the situation in Thailand. Just be grateful you are in the sunshine in a country with zero (or somewhere near zero) new infections and not back home in Blighty. You can get a beer at 7-11 before too long. 

????

I was trying for the O-A immediately before the E-Visa was introduced. I was in touch with the London embassy with the necessary information which they seemed to confirm. When I arrived to present the paperwork in the flesh they were having a bad hair day. After a few impromptu arbitrary objections and some assertive factual observations from myself they eventually settled on the compromise of the Non Im O. 

Due to having my head kicked in by a drug crazed bar girl in December which curtailed my last visit I haven't had quite enough usage out of the visa. Pity.

I think i'd try for an non-OA again, tidy up whatever bits they didnt like last time.  Its £20K/THB800K isn't it, plus all the other nonsense?  Failing that if they'll give a non-O single (retirement?) that would get you going, bank account is possible but get it where wou intend to live, rock up with your 800K cash and that will get their attention.

(Up the Dolphins! (those were the good old days!)).

Thanks. The issue with the O-A was firstly they wouldn't accept my certified accountants' books despite paper statements also showing my income.  Secondly, I had a letter from my GP to suggest I wasn't displaying any symptoms of their odd list of proscribed diseases.

This was all confirmed as acceptable by email with relevant attachments but were somehow not considered sufficient when I turned up in person. Perhaps because I was reasonably well behaved and even had a western monk based in Thailand as my reference they issued the O visa as a compromise. Perhaps. Basically you follow the rules and then they make it up on the day depending on what mood they're in.

I'm not quite sure I fancy carting £20k around in cash frankly. Can I have it sent by TransferWise or other cheap service? I can see problems trying to draw that much cash from anywhere in Thailand.

The Dolphins had to go as a name once the animal rights types had them freed. It is said the Seagulls came about as a response to the Palace's Eagles chant. But yes I was there in the 70s North Stand as a teenage pseudo-skinhead. Happy days!