Can I go to Spain and return to Bangkok if I have WP?

Nokkeaw

I have a work permit and non-b visa. I am in Bangkok now and I need to make a quick trip to visit my family in Spain from any time in June and back before the 10th July. I heard work permit holders are welcome to enter Thailand but you need a no covid certificate, right? Is it this hard to get? I do have work here in July so I can't get stuck in Spain or I will lose my job. Also, I was supposed to go there in April but Qatar airways cancelled all my flights. Thanks a lot.

Moved top Visa forum.

To my understanding, with a WP you can return to Thailand BUT

(1) May be hard to find a flight - most incoming international flights are cancelled through June at least

(2) You will be put i  mandatory 14 days quarantine on return. So cannot go straight to work. Note this is state quarantine not self-isolation at home.

As for certificate I think only a "fit to fly" one but see what UbonJoe says.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Moved top Visa forum.

(1) May be hard to find a flight - most incoming international flights are cancelled through June at least

(2) You will be put i  mandatory 14 days quarantine on return. So cannot go straight to work. Note this is state quarantine not self-isolation at home.

@It seems Qatar airways has flights in their website and the quarantine won't be a problem since I will be teaching online. Regarding the fit to fly certificate is it hard to obtain?

12 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

AFAIK you are not allowed to enter Thailand under current incoming passenger flight ban (but that hopefully will end before you have to return).  Only pax currently allowed are returning Thai with Embassy documentation on special flights.  Scheduled flights come in empty of pax and take out paying customers.

Yup,

I've asked friends who work for KE at ICN and they said that it is true, they DO have and fly one flight to Bangkok.. but their one flight that operates TO Bangkok usually goes out empty on the passenger side but tends to carry a fairly heavy cargo load (all ULD) -- occasionally there will be some pax - but they are usually Thai nationals or a random Thai government official, sometimes Thai or Korean medical personnel... but that's about it.. Their one flight, KE 651, shows all "zeroed out" in the GDS', (ie Y0 B0 M0 S0 H0 E0 K0 L0 U0 Q0 N0 T0 G0 ) so its not even bookable on an outside platform as I see it.   So while there may be the ABILITY for those with WP's to return/enter Thailand, it seems there is no FLIGHT available to do so.

I also see a wholesale "zero-out" for most other Asia origins to BKK.. Such as TG643 (NRTBKK) among many others...  So, while they (the CAAT or larger Thai government),  may not have explicitly barred WP-holding non-nationals from reentering via one of past few orders, there appears to be no way for such a person to actually get to Thailand in order to avail of such reentry ability in the first place.

• Like 2

Just seen on Thai Examiner.Memorandom from Thai Embassy in country you are travelling from stating you will pay expenses for quarantine, health cert issued in last 72 hours and $100,000 Covid insurance..

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Just seen on Thai Examiner.Memorandom from Thai Embassy in country you are travelling from stating you will pay expenses for quarantine, health cert issued in last 72 hours and $100,000 Covid insurance..

That is the old rule before total ban of anyone other than Thai - it is not know if those rules will continue to apply after foreign travelers are allowed or be modified.  At this time we only see the hole at end of tunnel but can only guess what is on the other side.

12 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

That is the old rule before total ban of anyone other than Thai - it is not know if those rules will continue to apply after foreign travelers are allowed or be modified.  At this time we only see the hole at end of tunnel but can only guess what is on the other side.

this was published yesterday

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2020/05/25/new-normal-access-to-thailand-even-after-flights-resume-if-virus-persists/

I think it's best to think of this after June 1 when you see what happens with reopening airports for international flights. It is possible they extend another month. It is also possible they start cherry picking which "safe" countries they allow incoming flights from, and Spain certainly won't be on the list if that happens.

Also note that teaching online from government provided quarantine might not be something you want to do. Ever saw photos of the tents in Sattahip?

15 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

The immigration officer is confusing the rules. These were in place before the ban on incoming passengers other than repatriations. All he is doing is quoting those old requirements which are irrelevant now. If and when flights resume they may or may not be the same as those he quoted.

Edited by jimn

13 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Key words 

He also predicted

What actually happens will be a government policy and that appears to be under continuous review.  At present even getting Thai back into the country has been a real issue.

16 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Moved top Visa forum.

I think having a wp is gone in the last announcement about inbound flights. Maybe if the reason is really essential. 

Here are the rules for coming back in You will have to quaratine at a govermnet choosen facility and at your cost So who only knows how much that will be

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2020/05/25/new-normal-access-to-thailand-even-after-flights-resume-if-virus-persists/?fbclid=IwAR21irQCvydLnDEZAcqnSrDzal7Dx1I0kPYiJRN1rGYNKpY19T0A7uCs3jU

14 hours ago, Nokkeaw said:

@It seems Qatar airways has flights in their website and the quarantine won't be a problem since I will be teaching online. Regarding the fit to fly certificate is it hard to obtain?

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2020/05/25/new-normal-access-to-thailand-even-after-flights-resume-if-virus-persists/

Take a look at the link above, it is in interview with the Immigration number 2.  

5 hours ago, baansgr said:

And in many countries including the US, it is absolutely impossible to get that health certificate. You cannot get a doctor to certify that you are Covid free there. So, a total catch 22. I want to go back in September, but will not do so unless this requirement is lifted, and since the US is the most infected nation on earth, chances are anyone coming from there, will be treated like a radioactive zombie for the next year or so.

America. The most dangerous nation on earth, in the eyes of the world. 

My guess, it to a lesser extent, Brazil, Russia, Spain, Italy, Germany, and France will be treated similarly. China will likely get a free pass. 

Edited by spidermike007

7 hours ago, jimn said:

The immigration officer is confusing the rules. These were in place before the ban on incoming passengers other than repatriations. All he is doing is quoting those old requirements which are irrelevant now. If and when flights resume they may or may not be the same as those he quoted.

Unlikely given his position and when he was interviewed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

America. The most dangerous nation on earth, in the eyes of the world. 

My guess, it to a lesser extent, Brazil, Russia, Spain, Italy, Germany, and France will be treated similarly. China will likely get a free pass. 

Brazil is giving the USA a run for its money on that one

probably until you can get to single digits https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countrie on new infections and very low on active cases you have little chance.

I doubt in the next month (June) you would get back at all.

If lucky enough to fill the criteria when you get back will be in a state quarantine or authorized hotel for 14 days. If not really important try to put it off for 3 months when the muddy waters may be clearer

6 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Yes I listened to it and as I said its irrelevant. No one but repatriated Thais are allowed into Thailand. When anyone else is allowed in we will know the rules, until then he is quoting the rules that existed before the ban on incoming passengers.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

53 minutes ago, jimn said:

Yes I listened to it and as I said its irrelevant. No one but repatriated Thais are allowed into Thailand. When anyone else is allowed in we will know the rules, until then he is quoting the rules that existed before the ban on incoming passengers.

I think sometimewoodworker is correct and you are incorrect He was talking about the rules that will come into force after June 30th

16 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Yes, it is old rule. But I was reading that these two rules are by different agencies. Flight bans are separate than entry requirements. As soon as flight bans are removed, it does not mean entry requirements will also be removed automatically. It must be removed specificialy by a separate notice. And it may continue untill they find a vaccine or the visrus disappear altogether. Any trip to outisde Thailand should be avoided till the entry requirements are cleared. Lifting flight bans will not clear the entry requirements.

Edited by Mulambana

7 hours ago, jimn said:

When anyone else is allowed in we will know the rules, until then he is quoting the rules that existed before the ban on incoming passengers.

Given that he is rather high in the immigration department, not the top but close. That almost the same rules brought in just before the CAAT shut down flights and that the quarantine was not part of those previous rules. That he is saying what will happen. It’s rather stupid to dismiss it as “just quoting old rules” Because they were the old rules doesn’t stop them from being the current rules, in fact it strongly suggests that they will be.

Embassies are closed for visa service until further notice even though they (the London one at least) is opening on June 1st for all other business. So that is a de facto ban itself. 

I will not be surprised if both visa exempt and visa on arrival entry is suspended.

5 hours ago, Mulambana said:

Any trip to outisde Thailand should be avoided till the entry requirements are cleared. Lifting flight bans will not clear the entry requirements.

That is advice I have given myself.

Exit from Thailand is possible now, people are leaving. The possibility of returning is totally different. You should be completely clear about entry requirements before planning a round trip or you may be excluded from Thailand for much longer than you planned. It is always the passengers responsibility to know that they can enter the country they are going to, never the airline, so ensure that any ticket you get allows changes.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, vinny41 said:

I think sometimewoodworker is correct and you are incorrect He was talking about the rules that will come into force after June 30th

No he is not, he is speaking about the rules that were in place before the ban. Go back and check them if you doubt what I am saying. No decision has been made on the rules if flights are allowed after June 30. When they are they will be announced on the CAAT website not by some immigration guy via a news article.

15 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Brazil is giving the USA a run for its money on that one

probably until you can get to single digits https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countrie on new infections and very low on active cases you have little chance.

Well, considering Brazil has 85% of the land mass of the US, and 210 million people, it is quite far behind. Also, when you take into account the poverty, the favelas, and the health care system, in Brazil, it was a very challenging situation, The US, on the other hand should have done an infinitely better job than it did. They had months of warnings, and a better health care system (though one that is vastly over rated). America is now the shame and pity of the planet, and the most radioactive country in the world. Considering that the US had 80 million visitors in 2019, I think it is safe to say tourism will be in the toilet for a long time to come, and Americans will be treated as zombies around the world for at least a year or two. Brazil is at nearly 400,000 cases with 24,549 deaths, which is horrendous. The US has 1,725,491 cases, with 100,573 deaths, and only 478,000 recoveries to date.

It is a coincidence, that both nations have men of tremendous ignorance, who are both in denial, as leaders?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Given that he is rather high in the immigration department, not the top but close. That almost the same rules brought in just before the CAAT shut down flights and that the quarantine was not part of those previous rules. That he is saying what will happen. It’s rather stupid to dismiss it as “just quoting old rules” Because they were the old rules doesn’t stop them from being the current rules, in fact it strongly suggests that they will be.

Embassies are closed for visa service until further notice even though they (the London one at least) is opening on June 1st for all other business. So that is a de facto ban itself. 

I will not be surprised if both visa exempt and visa on arrival entry is suspended.

That is advice I have given myself.

Exit from Thailand is possible now, people are leaving. The possibility of returning is totally different. You should be completely clear about entry requirements before planning a round trip or you may be excluded from Thailand for much longer than you planned. It is always the passengers responsibility to know that they can enter the country they are going to, never the airline, so ensure that any ticket you get allows changes.

Thank you, a great deal of sense in what you wrote. Just to clarify my point over this. Yes I agree he is quite senior. However at this time incoming passenger flights are banned until July 1st at the earliest. If he said that these would be the rules if flights were allowed now he may well be right. But this is not the case. There is a further 5 weeks until July 1st and even then I think it will be extended. When flights are eventually allowed the requirements will be posted on the CAAT site at that time. It could be what he quoted it could be different. So again I say what is reported is irrelevent at this time.

Edited by jimn

On 5/26/2020 at 7:19 PM, vinny41 said:

Disagree, unless he has inside information from the National Steering Committee who will make the recommendations Immigration will carry out once approved. I doubt they have even got that far yet.