Marriage currently possible?

Hardgraf

Hi, is it possible to get married in Thailand at the moment. From reading another thread it sounds like the amphur offices are open in BKK. Does anyone if there are any current obstructions to getting married?

We are both British, want to make sure it's even possible given the circumstances before booking an appointment with the UK Consulate.

If we are able to go ahead I assume that she will need her own Consular Marriage oaths affirmations and affidavits 2 appointment too?

Thanks

Edited by Hardgraf

If you are both British, then you should seek advice from the British embassy here in Thailand.

If you want a traditional Thai wedding , there are many ways to do that and more than a fair amount of willing providers, given the right amount of satang... my sister and bro in law were married here and had a memorable experience.

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

The Amphurs in Phuket started registering marriages again this week. My lady saw a Thai-Westerner couple complete the task at Kathu yesterday.

The OP and his gf are British citizens. The paperwork has to go through the British embassy/consulate to make the marriage valid. 

OP, there are specific agencies that do foreigner to foreigner marriages in Thailand (everything from the paperwork through to the ceremony), it may be worth it to engage one of the agencies. Its a lot of running around for a foreigner to marry a Thai, a lot more running around for a foreigner/foreigner marriage.

Many Amphers would be unfamiliar with doing a foreigner/foreigner marriage and may well discourage the process by insisting on impossible documents requests.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Max69xl said:
2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

The Amphurs in Phuket started registering marriages again this week. My lady saw a Thai-Westerner couple complete the task at Kathu yesterday.

The OP and his gf are British citizens. The paperwork has to go through the British embassy/consulate to make the marriage valid. 

Thanks for assuming I missed the fact that they stated their citizenship in the OP.

However, I didn't fail to see that, I was answering their question in the first para.

To make a marriage in Thailand valid it has to be registered in a local district office.  

I, and most others here, are well aware the paperwork regarding a foreigners eligibility to marry  has to begin with the embassy.

They do not like to marry two Farang & will put every obstacle in your way, in particular if you are both foreigners from the same country.

You may find an agent who specializes in this & will grease palms with your money but

not cheap.

I know because I had to witness my mate trying to do the same

There is a sizable market of foreigners getting married in romantic settings in Thailand. Chinese wedding parties are spotted every day on the beaches (used to be). It is akin to medical tourism.

There is a thriving industry of agents who will arrange it all, but, to repeat, to be valid it has to be registered in the appropriate office in Thailand.

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ok thanks for all your help.

UPDATE

So we were able to get an emergency consular appointment at the British Embassy, all British documentation complete & translated into Thai. We then paid the translation company to go to The Ministry of Foreign Affairs on our behalf to complete the required documentation.

This morning we went to Bang Rak District office (Khet) & were told that the wait for marriage would be 45 days on account of us 'Both being foreigners'. This is problematic as my ED visa will expire at the end of July.

They told us we would need a Thai translator & witness. We don't have family members here but Thai friends could help. Regarding the 45 days, I didn't get the impression that there was a way to make this obstacle go away, if she was suggesting that there was then it was far too subtle for me to interpret. 

The translation company had previously offered us a 'marriage service'. Presumably they are able to grease the wheels at the Khet & speed the process up? I think they quoted 9,000 baht for this.

So my question is, is is probably best to pay the 9,000 baht?!

Edited by Hardgraf
  • Like 1

On 5/30/2020 at 4:25 AM, Catkiwi said:

If you are both British, then you should seek advice from the British embassy here in Thailand.

If you want a traditional Thai wedding , there are many ways to do that and more than a fair amount of willing providers, given the right amount of satang... my sister and bro in law were married here and had a memorable experience.

You must be talking about the wedding ceremony, not the marriage which is just done in an amphur office. The wedding ceremony is NOT a legal procedure.

The OPs should get legally married in their own country to avoid all the BS and expense of the legal part in LOS. Have a ceremony and party etc in LOS by all means. Vows and all that can be spoken but are not legally binding.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Hardgraf said:

UPDATE

So we were able to get an emergency consular appointment at the British Embassy, all British documentation complete & translated into Thai. We then paid the translation company to go to The Ministry of Foreign Affairs on our behalf to complete the required documentation.

This morning we went to Bang Rak District office (Khet) & were told that the wait for marriage would be 45 days on account of us 'Both being foreigners'. This is problematic as my ED visa will expire at the end of July.

They told us we would need a Thai translator & witness. We don't have family members here but Thai friends could help. Regarding the 45 days, I didn't get the impression that there was a way to make this obstacle go away, if she was suggesting that there was then it was far too subtle for me to interpret. 

The translation company had previously offered us a 'marriage service'. Presumably they are able to grease the wheels at the Khet & speed the process up? I think they quoted 9,000 baht for this.

So my question is, is is probably best to pay the 9,000 baht?!

The marriage "service" probably isn't a legal procedure. Only the amphur office is legal.

I doubt the 45 days will go away in any amphur office. Shame on the embassy for doing all the documentation ( no doubt for a price ) and not telling you of the mandated waiting time.

If you are leaving anyway when your ed visa expires just have a big party in LOS and get married at home.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

I'm not leaving. The whole point of this is so I can stay! 

my understanding is that once married I can go to immigration & they will 'convert' my ED visa to non O immigrant spouse status (My partner has a work permit as she works at a British international school).

Sorry badly worded, it's not a 'marriage service'. Essentially you pay the translation company 9,000 baht. They contact the amphur offices (Khet) & secure an appointment. They then go along with you to provide the required Thai witnesses, translator & hold your hand through the process.

Expensive I know & as mentioned could probably gone to some other amphurs & tried our luck but we both have full time work responsibilities & time is running out on my current visa so probably worth just paying the money to save the time & stress involved. They have booked an appointment at the Ratchetewi amphur which is convenient for us.

From limited discussions with my Thai teacher & friends my understanding is that the process is more difficult because we are both foreign. If the wife/husband to be is Thai then the process is generally much more straight forward as many of the amphurs are not experienced in marrying two foreigners.

Edited by Hardgraf

On 7/2/2020 at 8:17 PM, Hardgraf said:

I'm not leaving. The whole point of this is so I can stay! 

my understanding is that once married I can go to immigration & they will 'convert' my ED visa to non O immigrant spouse status (My partner has a work permit as she works at a British international school).

Sorry badly worded, it's not a 'marriage service'. Essentially you pay the translation company 9,000 baht. They contact the amphur offices (Khet) & secure an appointment. They then go along with you to provide the required Thai witnesses, translator & hold your hand through the process.

Expensive I know & as mentioned could probably gone to some other amphurs & tried our luck but we both have full time work responsibilities & time is running out on my current visa so probably worth just paying the money to save the time & stress involved. They have booked an appointment at the Ratchetewi amphur which is convenient for us.

From limited discussions with my Thai teacher & friends my understanding is that the process is more difficult because we are both foreign. If the wife/husband to be is Thai then the process is generally much more straight forward as many of the amphurs are not experienced in marrying two foreigners.

9,000 sounds about right for that sort of "service". They'll know the right people to get the job done. Same reason I paid an agent to do my extension as it's getting too ridiculous with all the new hoops to jump through.

Make sure the outcome is guaranteed though- be a drag to pay them and still not get job done.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/1/2020 at 10:44 AM, Hardgraf said:

UPDATE

So we were able to get an emergency consular appointment at the British Embassy, all British documentation complete & translated into Thai. We then paid the translation company to go to The Ministry of Foreign Affairs on our behalf to complete the required documentation....

Congratulations! BTW the USA consulate still doesn't accept this situation as an "emergency", so it doesn't seem that Yanks will be able to get married "for the duration"...