Question About Eye Glasses

Gonzo the Face

Does anyone out there know......

I have a very favorite pair of prescription glasses.  Have had them for years.  The lens are pretty scratched now.

I have gotten two newer pair not but they just don't seem to feel right.  My question is ..... is it possible to take the old glasses and have the scratches polished out of the lens?  The vision with the old pair is still fine, the same as with the new ones, other than the scratches.  Whata ya tink ?

Thanks

Gonzo

Even with scratches on the lenses, surely a really decent optical shop could scan your old lens with the computer equipment, and would be able to check the strength.

They may want to give you an eye test to check you, but as for the lens they should be able to recreate them. Doesn't matter if plastic, glass, thick thin etc. Check it out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lee b said:

Even with scratches on the lenses, surely a really decent optical shop could scan your old lens with the computer equipment, and would be able to check the strength.

They may want to give you an eye test to check you, but as for the lens they should be able to recreate them. Doesn't matter if plastic, glass, thick thin etc. Check it out. 

Go to three different opticians here and you will get three different results from the same prescription!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, stouricks said:

I have used ZENNI Online with very good results...if you know your prescription.

Also had good experience a few times now with Zenni but there have been reports they have suspended deliveries to Thailand at present.

Suggest you clarify that with them via online chat if you consider doing anything.

• Like 1

To actually answer your question, Gonzo, there are many polishing compounds that can do a pretty good job of removing fine scratches from plastic lenses. I used one from 3M that worked amazingly well, but I cannot find it now. You might check-out these on Amazon. If the scratches are very fine, sometimes plain ole toothpaste can do  pretty good job.  If the lenses are glass it will be more difficult to remove the scratches.

https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Polish/s?k=Plastic+Polish

• Like 2

21 hours ago, stouricks said:

Get your temperature taken at Tesco's door by three different guys....they will all show different!

Get yourself weighed at a hospital on three different scales.....they will all show different!

I even had different HEIGHTS at one hospital.

Okay,  I get it, the nine 3-legged bronze dings of the Zhou Dynasty/Empire were palindromes of their temporal, and spiritual, power, and Apollo's triangle had three legs, and various disagreements over the 3-in-1, or, 1-in-3, aspects of  a certain major religion's avatar have, literally, caused the extermination of millions in history.

But, why do I see a different "me" in the mirror every time I make the mistake of looking ?  Why not three ?

cheers, ~o:37;

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, orang37 said:

Okay,  I get it, the nine 3-legged bronze dings of the Zhou Dynasty/Empire were palindromes of their temporal, and spiritual, power, and Apollo's triangle had three legs, and various disagreements over the 3-in-1, or, 1-in-3, aspects of  a certain major religion's avatar have, literally, caused the extermination of millions in history.

But, why do I see a different "me" in the mirror every time I make the mistake of looking ?  Why not three ?

Wouldn't have said it better myself 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Duvidl said:

To actually answer your question, Gonzo, there are many polishing compounds that can do a pretty good job of removing fine scratches from plastic lenses. I used one from 3M that worked amazingly well, but I cannot find it now. You might check-out these on Amazon. If the scratches are very fine, sometimes plain ole toothpaste can do  pretty good job.  If the lenses are glass it will be more difficult to remove the scratches.

https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Polish/s?k=Plastic+Polish

Sounds like a good idea.... Tomorrow morn I'll wear my glasses when I brush my teeth.  Make that tooth.

• Haha 1

Hi, over the years, I've made friends with a young Thai optician, Khun Chaiyo, whose shop, Chaiyo Optics, is in the food-court area of the sub-floor of the eastern end of Airport Plaza ... i.e., beneath Robinsons.

He's been giving me prices 25% or more off what shops like Tokyo Optics quoted me, and he's done several repairs for free, and lens replacement at low cost.

He got all the latest automated gear, and makes the lenses himself, free eye exams, etc.

If you visit him, let me know, maybe I can buy you a coffee if you have time. My guess is that wheelchair access could only happen by parking in the lowest parking level o the southern end of thee building.

I'll PM you his contact info so this response, hopefully, does not abuse forum rules.

On 5/31/2020 at 3:29 PM, orang37 said:

Hi, over the years, I've made friends with a young Thai optician, Khun Chaiyo, whose shop, Chaiyo Optics, is in the food-court area of the sub-floor of the eastern end of Airport Plaza ... i.e., beneath Robinsons.

He's been giving me prices 25% or more off what shops like Tokyo Optics quoted me, and he's done several repairs for free, and lens replacement at low cost.

He got all the latest automated gear, and makes the lenses himself, free eye exams, etc.

If you visit him, let me know, maybe I can buy you a coffee if you have time. My guess is that wheelchair access could only happen by parking in the lowest parking level o the southern end of thee building.

I'll PM you his contact info so this response, hopefully, does not abuse forum rules.

Thanks for the information ,i will also try him when i next go to Airport Plaza

Avoid Zenni like the plague, unless you just want frames. There are a couple of measurements they don't ask for, or lump together which will result in useless lenses for you. I speak from experience. Never again. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2020 at 3:29 PM, orang37 said:

He cut some reading lenses for me last week.  Very quick and cheaper than Tokyo Optic upstairs as mentioned.

Thanks o:37

On 5/30/2020 at 9:32 AM, CharlieH said:

Also had good experience a few times now with Zenni but there have been reports they have suspended deliveries to Thailand at present.

Suggest you clarify that with them via online chat if you consider doing anything.

Zenni are damned expensive, plus pp.  had quote,up to 200$,     had progressives here,anti scratch,blue light etc,nice springy lightweight frames   3000 baht

1 hour ago, izod10 said:

Zenni are damned expensive, plus pp.  had quote,up to 200$,     had progressives here,anti scratch,blue light etc,nice springy lightweight frames   3000 baht

3000 baht for progressives? Where would that be exactly?

I have never had a quote even close to that.

About eye tests,  I would be very careful about who I use.  Some of these stores are off the mark which will make life miserable.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2020 at 5:01 PM, Trujillo said:

Avoid Zenni like the plague, unless you just want frames. There are a couple of measurements they don't ask for, or lump together which will result in useless lenses for you. I speak from experience. Never again. 

Nonsense..last count they had 10 million satisfied customers.  Every detail from my top flight eye exam in the States was relevant on my orders..been using them for 14 years, including driving 80 students on a school bus, in some of the worst traffic in America.  Never paid more than 20 USD per pair, and that includes tinting, uv protection.  I will use my us script from 2011, before I would use one from CM.  Last time, I went to a highly routed place near Zoe, they flat out refused to do an exam, at any price, if I would not buy frames from them.  

Also, one you become familar with terms like nosebridge, temple length, frame width, lens width, pupillary distance it will occur to you that 90% of the frames they sell are for smaller people..or at least smaller heads.

It is almost as bad as their refusal to properly ground electrical stuff. One of the biggest benefits of good glasses is driving safety..do the Thais drive like they have good vision?  Lots of good dentist out there, night and day compared to eyewear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another satisfied Zenni customer. 

Used to get excellent (prescription) glasses in Thailand. An old shop in Siam Square shop back in the early aughts. Unfortunately, those days are long gone. Today, box shops AKA Top Charoen & even the mom and pops. Most or all are employees and have nothing to do with being an optician. They put on a good show, granted, but getting some real glasses for your needs is hit or miss. Hey, if you employ former beer chang girls to sell glasses what do you expect?!  

Get a good prescription, go to hospital, pay the money. Don’t be a cheap Charlie at this point. Just get a good prescription. (I went to BKK Hospital) Then take the time to understand, or get a friend to help with the Zenni online ordering. As I did it myself it has to be pretty basic. I have ordered two pair in the last 6 months. The best glasses I have had since I got them at Cabrini Optical on pill hill.

Whatever you do, never go to Top Charoen (?) or might be called 'Charoen Beautiful', shop,  bottom floor west side near elevator dog leg in Central Airport. Really never. Story only on demand, & luckily not me. Whew.

NOTE - As there were questions regarding price, your Zennis will end up being cheaper than any optical shop in Chiang Mai period. That is a fact.

Edited by LomSak27

4 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Whatever you do, never go to Top Charoen (?) or might be called 'Charoen Beautiful', shop,  bottom floor west side near elevator dog leg in Central Airport. Really never. Story only on demand, & luckily not me. Whew.

Informed they are going by the name 'Eye Class' now. 

Edited by LomSak27