Marrying at District Office.

bobandyson

GF has checked at Laksi, Don Meuang and Lamlukka district offices as to what documents are required by me.

No problem for me to obtain an Affadavit and Passport Certification, but the lists that my GF has obtained from all the offices states that I have to provide a document showing 'proof of occupation and salary.' She was told that I could obtain one from my embassy (Brit) but I can't see anything on the embassy website.

Is this a new requirement for marrying? Has anyone here registered their marriage this year at all?

A couple of blogs about marrying in Thailand from 2019 don't mention needing proof of work or salary. 

Edited by bobandyson

The proof of occupation and salary used to be part of the Affirmation to Marry which you will obtain at the British Embassy.

These two details were removed from the Affirmation some time ago and are no longer part of the document.

I would ask the District Office what documents they will accept. I'm unsure of your age, but you might also want to ask them what they do if a person is retired.

I wish I could help, but I got married 42 years ago.  Took my elderly and infirm landlord to the Amphur Muang office in a samlor and he attested for me.  He had been the top guy in Loei province for education.  Rubber stamps were smoking and we were out of there in 15 minutes, with many Wais and apologies.  I think they were all related.

I'm a Facebook friend with his daughter these days. 

Edited by Damrongsak

Turn up at the Amphur office with all the relevant documents.  No such document exists and your issue appears to have arisen from checking with the office for which they've provided you some made-up nonsense.  The official requirements are all online and no need to go causing confusion by asking the telephonist.  

Edited by torturedsole

31 minutes ago, Malawi said:

Afirmation to Marry document contains your salary for which no proof is needed.

The UK offer 3 affidavit templates, single, divorced or widowed status.

Occupation is a requirement, income is not.

You cannot amend these affidavits, they must be word for word.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/875255/SINGLE_Application_pack_-_getting_married_in_Thailand.pdf

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/875256/DIVORCED_Application_pack_-_getting_married_in_Thailand.docx.pdf

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/875257/WIDOWED_Application_pack_-_getting_married_in_Thailand.pdf

@bobandyson

Either your g/f has misunderstood or the Amphoe are trying it on looking for t-money.

There is no requirement to provide income for marriage.

I recommend using an agent which I did. The Affidavit of Marriage is valid for only 30 days meaning one has to have this translated, submitted to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and be married before 30 days or one must start the process all over again. All Amphurs are different. Here in CM many Amphurs have waiting lists ( queue ) some up to 6 wks while some require the 2 witnesses to be from that Amphur. Using an agent eliminates all red tape. For a fee of B4500 the agent drove me to and from the Amphur and supplied the 2 witnesses the process took 2 hrs. The Amphur offices are not set up for falang all signs, paperwork and language is in Thai.

4 hours ago, cnxgary said:

I recommend using an agent which I did. The Affidavit of Marriage is valid for only 30 days meaning one has to have this translated, submitted to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and be married before 30 days or one must start the process all over again. All Amphurs are different. Here in CM many Amphurs have waiting lists ( queue ) some up to 6 wks while some require the 2 witnesses to be from that Amphur. Using an agent eliminates all red tape. For a fee of B4500 the agent drove me to and from the Amphur and supplied the 2 witnesses the process took 2 hrs. The Amphur offices are not set up for falang all signs, paperwork and language is in Thai.

cnxgarycould you please share the contacts of that agent(s) in PM? I am also going to be married in CM and found out that better to use agents service...

5 hours ago, cnxgary said:

Was 9000 Baht for the agent in Bangkok a few years ago.  Every amphoe my now-wife and I tried, refused us.  I would suggest agent-shopping in the "translation" service shops, around Wireless Road and Sukumvit - is where I found mine. 

That price includes all the translations, MFA stamps of translations, etc.  They will also tell you exactly what you need from your emabasy, which can save having to make multiple appointments.  Then, they take you to the amphoe they do "business" with, and it's all smiles.

3 hours ago, blanes2007 said:

cnxgarycould you please share the contacts of that agent(s) in PM? I am also going to be married in CM and found out that better to use agents service...

I do not know how to pm. The visa service co. I used is  Star Visa services here in CM.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cnxgary said:

The Affidavit of Marriage is valid for only 30 days

The Brit Embassy are valid for 3 months from the date of stamping.

10 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Every amphoe my now-wife and I tried, refused us. 

My GF told me that the Lamlukka office said to her that it would be easier to marry at Laksi. Laksi told her to marry at Lamlukka.

????

• Like 1

There is a site diy marriage in Thailand. This is useful information from it.

If you get the chance go to Lak Si. Look for the lady that works at the translation desk in the far right corner of the main foyer/Entrance hall. She has glasses, maybe 50 ish. There is also a guy that works there also. Get your girlfriend to speak to her and explain your situation. We couldn't get into Lak Si but she managed to get us into Don Meung for 3500 baht. She came with us in the taxi and stayed with us until everything was done. Lovely lady, she even took our wedding pics outside Don Meung!!..

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bobandyson said:

The Brit Embassy are valid for 3 months from the date of stamping.

My GF told me that the Lamlukka office said to her that it would be easier to marry at Laksi. Laksi told her to marry at Lamlukka.

????

And for the right price anyone of them could register your marriage same day.

Get out of Bangkok and go to another Amphoe office. Free and simple.

13 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

We couldn't get into Lak Si but she managed to get us into Don Meung for 3500 baht. She came with us in the taxi and stayed with us until everything was done. Lovely lady, she even took our wedding pics outside Don Meung!!..

Reminds me of our wedding in LOS.  We married officially at the Amphur's office on a particular day then had an unofficial wedding the following day, i.e wedding dress, suit, monks, family, karaoke, food and drink.  Paid for a local photographer to do our wedding snaps and worked out at something ridiculous like £60 all in and delivered on CDs.  Lovely Thai lady and did a fantastic job.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

And for the right price anyone of them could register your marriage same day.

Get out of Bangkok and go to another Amphoe office. Free and simple.

My now-wife and I took a road trip up from Jomtien all the way into Bangkok, applying each location, w/o luck, and often clearly unfriendly amphoe personnel.  Called dozens more, and told no.  With the agent, all smiles - and I was done before another applicant I saw there finished the first-desk's process.  It still took a few hours, even with the agent.

If you go up to Issan, I assume the envelope is thinner, but for witnesses you will still be buying whiskey or similar - plus the trip-costs.  If anyone knows a "near Bangkok" location that happily does "mixed-marriages" these days w/o and envelope, should post here for others.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JackThompson said:

If you go up to Issan, I assume the envelope is thinner, but for witnesses you will still be buying whiskey or similar - plus the trip-costs. 

What envelopes!

The Amphoe personnel signed as witnesses.

2Km trip.