North Korean army 'fully ready' for action over South Korean propaganda leaflets - KCNA

webfact

North Korean army 'fully ready' for action over South Korean propaganda leaflets - KCNA

By Hyonhee Shin

2020-06-16T033149Z_1_LYNXMPEG5F06C_RTROPTP_4_NORTHKOREA-SOUTHKOREA.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Park Sang-hak, a North Korean defector and leader of an anti-North Korea civic group, speaks as he prepares to release balloons containing leaflets denouncing North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, near the demilitarized zone in Paju, South Korea, May 5, 2018. REUTERS/Kim Hong-Ji

SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea's army is ready to take action if defector groups push ahead with their campaign to send propaganda leaflets into North Korea, state media said on Tuesday, in the latest warning of retaliatory measures.

The General Staff of the Korean People's Army (KPA) said it has been studying an "action plan" to reenter zones that had been demilitarised under a 2018 inter-Korean pact and "turn the front line into a fortress."

"Our army will rapidly and thoroughly implement any decisions and orders of the Party and government," the KPA said in a statement carried by the official KCNA news agency.

Tensions have risen as Pyongyang threatened to sever inter-Korean ties and take retaliatory measures over the leaflets, which carry messages critical of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un including human rights abuses.

Seoul's defence ministry called for Pyongyang to abide by the 2018 agreement, in which both sides' militaries vowed to cease "all hostile acts" and dismantled a number of structures along the heavily fortified Demilitarized Zone between the two countries.

"We're taking the situation seriously," ministry spokeswoman Choi Hyun-soo told a briefing. "Our military is maintaining readiness posture to be able to respond to any situation."

Several defector-led groups have regularly sent back flyers, together with food, $1 bills, mini radios and USB sticks containing South Korean dramas and news, usually by balloon over the border or in bottles by river.

On Saturday, Kim Yo Jong, the sister of Kim who serves as a senior official of the ruling Workers' Party, said she ordered the military to prepare for unspecified "next action".

South Korea plans legal action against two of the defector groups, saying their actions fuel cross-border tensions, pose risks to residents living near the border and cause environmental damage.

But the groups say they intend to push ahead with their planned campaign this week.

South Korea's President Moon Jae-in urged Pyongyang on Monday to keep peace agreements reached by the two leaders and return to dialogue.

(Reporting by Hyonhee Shin; editing by Grant McCool and Lincoln Feast.)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-06-16

• Haha 1

Interesting it's little sister barking the orders. Is she flexing her muscles and testing if the military are loyal to her rather than big fat brother?

If she does intend power grabbing, she must have Beijings blessing.

• Like 2

Think you sheepie....

First Wuhan

Then Kobe died (America, a BIG deal.....I would say many other countries as well)

Then Corona/COVID 19 became a big deal

Then lock downs, etc...

Then protestors, rioting....

NOW the Illuminati has asked themselves, "Time to deflect again?"  Yes, 4-1 vote. 

N. Korea is easy

This is a multi-trillion dollar game.  Only members of TV can crack the code.

If I told you the underlying reason....I would not be here before I hit submit..... 

I've said enough

Are we so sure the real Kim is alive, or could what the world see be just one of his many body doubles he may have, dumdumdumdumdum . Is the little sister really now at the helm, only time will tell....yes I know......it is just sarcasm and hullabaloos.  Life goes on.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

No doubt the air force will blow the balloons out of the sky and submarines torpedo the bottles.

Can just imagine the briefing before action

" Comrades, due to the wisdom of our beloved leader we have been called into action. Do your duty and defend our beloved homeland. Now get out there and destroy the ******* balloons and bottles, show those southern ******** who's the boss!" 

Your North Korean cursing is excellent, lol.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ventenio said:

Think you sheepie....

First Wuhan

Then Kobe died (America, a BIG deal.....I would say many other countries as well)

Then Corona/COVID 19 became a big deal

Then lock downs, etc...

Then protestors, rioting....

NOW the Illuminati has asked themselves, "Time to deflect again?"  Yes, 4-1 vote. 

N. Korea is easy

This is a multi-trillion dollar game.  Only members of TV can crack the code.

If I told you the underlying reason....I would not be here before I hit submit..... 

I've said enough

No, I think you need to say more as long as it is not against TV policy.

8 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Interesting it's little sister barking the orders. Is she flexing her muscles and testing if the military are loyal to her rather than big fat brother?

If she does intend power grabbing, she must have Beijings blessing.

And where is Fat Boy? And he's allowing sis to do this? Something fishy here. And it's not just sis's you-know-what.  ????

• Haha 1

This reminds me of the rioters and looters, burning down there own stores and such.  Whats the big deal, well maybe it was a symbol of something, for someone, but in the end it was in N. Korea and they destroyed a building of theres.  Sort of like my first ex-wife taking a baseball bat to her car windows to make a point at being <deleted> off to show me.  I just smiled and told her that it was her car, in her name, and she paid insurance for it herself, so I could not care less if she destroyed it.  Yes I was making the payments for her by court decree and the divorce order, but not for me to get upset about......