Serology testing shows up to 10x more infections than have tested positive.

AKJeff

The US has done more testing than any other country and so far has the most reported cases.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/full-list-total-tests-for-covid-19

And the most tests per 1000 people. (Maybe I didn't look at every country)  edit: it looks like Denmark has everybody beat per 1000. 

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/full-list-cumulative-total-tests-per-thousand-bar-chart

As you can see the Western countries have tested far greater percentages of their populations.

The US has a high mortality rate as well.  Although not near as high as many European countries.  However still higher than many Asian countries. 

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/coronavirus-cfr

A new study of serology testing from the US suggests that the number of people in the US with Covid-19 antibodies is 10x higher than the number of confirmed cases. 

https://reut.rs/3hXOzGt

This would suggest than asymptomatic cases are very common.   One has to wonder how true this is of other countries.   Some such as New Zealand look like it is totally gone since they are not detecting any new cases at all but in countries that are still reporting daily new cases this might mean there is 10x the number unreported. 

However if testing has been so much lower in countries like the Philippines, why is the death rate (not total deaths) lower?  I don't have an answer.  Just a question. 

I do think on balance that having 20 million people with antibodies to covid in the US is better than just the 2.4 million that have positive tests.  It makes the rate of mortality 10x lower and is that much more of an immunity buffer. 

Not judging on how efficiently or morally we got to where we are.

Edited by AKJeff
Edit for Denmark
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, AKJeff said:

And the most tests per 1000 people. (Maybe I didn't look at every country)

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/full-list-cumulative-total-tests-per-thousand-bar-chart

I think the chart you posted on per capita testing rates is misleading, in part because the chart itself says it is only counting data from the past 10 days, for some reason.

Here's a cumulative chart for the same kind of per capita testing where the U.S. is nowhere near the top:

2020-06-26-095.jpg.9edb72488eb7f4c3a927dad72e553dc2.jpg

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104645/covid19-testing-rate-select-countries-worldwide/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I think the chart you posted on per capita testing rates is misleading, in part because the chart itself says it is only counting data from the past 10 days, for some reason.

Here's a cumulative chart for the same kind of per capita testing where the U.S. is nowhere near the top:

2020-06-26-095.jpg.9edb72488eb7f4c3a927dad72e553dc2.jpg

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104645/covid19-testing-rate-select-countries-worldwide/

Also a very misleading stat as they only include a total of 34 (as they describe it) "most impacted countries". I think by that they mean the 34 countries in the world with the highest number of confirmed cases.

Worldometers include all countries, and they have the U.S. as number 26 in tests per capita:
image.png.6814c6806cde9c25d92105c0a2cfcd7c.png

image.png.77872a496fd335a4894c4cc4be082636.png

9 minutes ago, Sophon said:

Also a very misleading stat as they only include a total of 34 (as they describe it) "most impacted countries". I think by that they mean the 34 countries in the world with the highest number of confirmed cases.

Worldometers include all countries, and they have the U.S. as number 26 in tests per capita:

Yes, the point was, contrary to the OP's original claim that's now been deleted, the U.S. is nowhere near the top of anyone's list for per capita CV testing -- despite the fact that liar Trump keeps suggesting that they are.

The U.S. had a flawed CV testing program from the start where they developed their own test, instead of using a WHO one, and the U.S. test they developed was faulty. Meaning it had to be recalled, and then fixed and then have the new version re-distributed... all the while the CV was raging thru the country and relatively no one in the U.S. was getting tested for a long while.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yes, the point was, contrary to the OP's original claim that's now been deleted, the U.S. is nowhere near the top of anyone's list for per capita CV testing -- despite the fact that liar Trump keeps suggesting that they are.

I have not deleted anything, I have no problem if people bring better information.

And again Trump.  Trump is not responsible for any of these websites or statistics.   I am not quoting him.  And I didn't delete the claim in my post in fact I acknowledge the error.

Edited by AKJeff
spelling

4 minutes ago, AKJeff said:

I have not deleted anything, I have no problem if people bring better information.

And again Trump.  Trump is not responsible for any of these websites or statistics.   I am not quoting him.  And I didn't delete the claim in my post in fact I acknowledge the error.

You revised your original post relating to the per capita testing, after I pointed out that the chart on that that you posted was flawed (because it only reported testing data for the prior 10 days, which is hardly representative).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You revised your original post relating to the per capita testing, after I pointed out that the chart on that that you posted was flawed (because it only reported testing data for the prior 10 days, which is hardly representative).

I did revise the post I added, "

edit: it looks like Denmark has everybody beat per 1000."

That is not deleting anything

So your post is wrong also. 

Let's admit that.

the sources I've used for the duration of this stated months ago the true numbers were always 10x to 15x higher (cases not fatalities) . That's the trouble on counting on 'herd immunity' to save everything is that you still need approx another 200 million to attain it (for the US). With 125k dead just to get to 20 million, you have a long time and a lot more dead to go before you reach that plateau. In countries that do not have sophisticated health care you're going to see a virus culling a extreme amount of people prior to a vaccine..

• Like 1