Mine and UXO explosions kill two as this year’s mine-related casualties decline

geovalin

Two men were killed on Sunday in separate cases of landmine and unexploded ordnance explosion in the provinces of Kandal and Battambang. Colonel Duong Teng, Kandal province’s Ponhea Leu district police chief, said 51-year-old scrap metal buyer Y Sarin was killed Sunday afternoon after a 105mm-artillery shell he bought exploded in the district’s Chrey Las commune.

“We do not know where the victim bought the artillery shell. He probably got it from a scrap collector and used a cutting machine to open the UXO, causing an explosion and killing him instantly,” he said. Meanwhile, Lieutenant Colonel Chhay Mab, Battambang’s Rokha Kiri district police chief, said 35-year-old man Chun Norl died Sunday morning after succumbing to injuries sustained in an accidental landmine explosion in Prek Chik commune.

4731.jpg A man was killed after the tractor he was driving accidentally hit a UXO in Battambang province. CMAC

“The victim was from Pursat province and was hired to drive a tractor to plough land in the commune. While working on the land, he accidentally hit the mine, which left one his legs severed. The landowner and local authorities brought him to the hospital but he was pronounced dead on arrival,” said Lt Col Mab.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50739447/mine-and-uxo-explosions-kill-two-as-this-years-mine-related-casualties-decline/

• Sad 1