Australian Passport Surcharge.

Hi all, I'm a 75 yo Australian with a Thai wife and I've lived in Thailand for the past 20 years. I need to re apply for my Australian passport which expires in a few months time. The passport fee is AU$ 298 which I think is ok for a 10 year passport but what about the overseas surcharge of AU$ 134 which is an extra. For people 75+ the fee is reduced by 50% for a 5 year visa but the same full surcharge still applies.  It appears that the Australian Government think this is the last chance they will get to dip into our savings before we fall off the perch. I've never received one cent since I lived in Thailand as the Australian social security department considers I broke my residential status. I was a National Serviceman for 2 years and being a tradesman I paid a decent amount of tax during my working life, for what?

Certainly understand

We pay quite a bit in taxes & still have to pay for everything & I mean EVERTHING

I think also you gave up a Residential address as to not gain any benefits (maintaning a link to Auss )

1 minute ago, dodgybros said:

Get over it, it costs $73 for them to witness one signature.  They don't give a toss how long you have been here, or there for that matter.

but he paid tax for a few years.

Just did my renewal there paid the surcharge they have to get the money back for the new building and all the staff somehow  i think the security is abit over the top but im no diplomat

Archived